JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
why doesn't Oregon fall in line and implement a sales tax like everyone else? Put that out to popular vote and it defeated because the majority of sheeple understand it means a direct tax on them. Instead, put these complex obfuscated taxes out to public vote and use class envy to swing the sheeple vote. Whatever happened to representive government? I'm from a non-voter initiative state and I don't get it. Make the elected represtentatives make decisions and hold them accountable for those decisions.

why doesn't Oregon fall in line and implement a sales tax like everyone else? Put that out to popular vote and it defeated because the majority of sheeple understand it means a direct tax on them. Instead, put these complex obfuscated taxes out to public vote and use class envy to swing the sheeple vote. Whatever happened to representive government? I'm from a non-voter initiative state and I don't get it. Make the elected represtentatives make decisions and hold them accountable for those decisions.
I would be in favor of a sales tax instead of income taxes...but not both. That way you are being taxed on what you spend. As long as food is not taxed.

=====================================================

Great, homework.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and after 20 minutes using the google machine the only thing I learned was....

This told me that taxes in the 1930s shouldn't be compared with the 2010.
Way to complete evade the relevant topic. Fact is industry payed closer to 3% of it's gross income just a few decades ago and now they pay less than 1/2 of 1%. Who do you think has taken up the slack on those tax losses? How many average Joe's getting a 5% tax increase does it take to make up for one billionaire getting a 1% tax break?

Answer: Approx. 4000

Way to complete evade the relevant topic. Fact is industry payed closer to 3% of it's gross income just a few decades ago and now they pay less than 1/2 of 1%. Who do you think has taken up the slack on those tax losses? How many average Joe's does it take to make up for one billionaire getting a tax break?

====================================================

Not trying to be evasive PP.

I am just a simple carpenter trying to understand a complex issue and how it effects the state I love and me personaly.

I am obviously in over my head and feel I should bow out of this debate.

====================================================

Not trying to be evasive PP.

I am just a simple carpenter trying to understand a complex issue and how it effects the state I love and me personaly.

I am obviously in over my head and feel I should bow out of this debate.
Don't do that. That is what the extreme on both sides counts on us "poor simple folk" doing when they try to get away with crap.

Way to complete evade the relevant topic. Fact is industry payed closer to 3% of it's gross income just a few decades ago and now they pay less than 1/2 of 1%. Who do you think has taken up the slack on those tax losses? How many average Joe's getting a 5% tax increase does it take to make up for one billionaire getting a 1% tax break?

Answer: Approx. 4000

what percentage of the Oregon taxable base is industry? I don't know. it doesn't strike me as that large - some of the largest employers are not Oregon based. And industry is certainly not growing in Oregon. And Oregon doesn't strike me as a billionaire kinda state - are there really that many in Oregon?

Anyone listening to Lars Larson today will have heard the call from Wilco.
They grossed $180 million last year and after laying off 11 employees remained profitable.
Their profit was $300,000.
Their additional tax liability is now $100,000 or 33% of their profits.

Analysts in the government are already saying that the $700 million is not going to be enough. And what's it for? It certainly isn't going to improve our already expensive state education system. You think that if they can't do it with $10,000 per child it'll improve with more money?

The unions who spent $8 million on ad campaigns to push these through are protecting their PERS, and guaranteed returns, and pay raises over and above whathas already been allocated- which is already above the private sector. It has nothing to do with teachers or kids!

The public who voted 'Yes' were too dumb to know that the "Oregon Small Business Council" is a fake front company created to make people think businesses were behind these ballot measures. It didn't even exist until after these measures were revealed.

So how does it affect me? I'll pay about $1000 more in taxes for last year - about half is for revenues received for purchasing hardware for clients that I get reimbursed for. Another 25% is for revenues collected for consulting services of employees which they get direct earnings from- after I pay employer payroll taxes for of course.

So what do I do? Go back and bill my clients a Measure 67 tax markup for hardware they bought last year?

Don't do that. That is what the extreme on both sides counts on us "poor simple folk" doing when they try to get away with crap.

==========================================================

Don't do what? Do you mean I should continue to make uninformed posts on a subject that I don't fully understand?
Who does that benefit?

I believe in capitalism and a small government, these core beliefs is what I use to make decisions on how I vote, I voted no on both measures. Other then that I think I have little more to add on this subject.

==========================================================

Don't do what? Do you mean I should continue to make uninformed posts on a subject that I don't fully understand?
Who does that benefit?

I believe in capitalism and a small government, these core beliefs is what I use to make decisions on how I vote, I voted no on both measures. Other then that I think I have little more to add on this subject.
You stay in the debate and make statements and ask questions and then learn as you go. That is what serves us all the best.

AAAAND you left that state why????? It is the mass exodus of people from other states coming here and voting with the same kind of mentality they did in that state as to why Oregon is now in the situation it is in.

We have voted on a sales tax and voted it down more than once. As for holding the reps accountable who's going to do that? There can be major damage done in a two year period just look at what Obama has done in one.

Oregon is just going to be, and somewhat already is, Northern California.

AAAAND you left that state why?????

the job. :eek: and the state I left didn't have these silly popular vote initiatives or propositions whatever they are called. We voted representatives into office, they governened, and the ones that didn't get it were voted out. Seemed simple enoughto me at the time.

Wilco co-op out of Mt. Angel Oregon is a perfect example. They're retroactive tax is estimated to be about $100,000.00 (yes an increase due to the measures passing). PBP can go ahead and tow the party line like he always does and buy the "Big Companies dont pay their share" lie.

Also I have spoken with an aquantance from the Eugene area. He employed 65 people yesterday. Today he employs 55. You do the math (BTW his retroactive tax will be ~$58,000.00).

This WILL hurt Oregon in a big way. I just wish people who support giving more money to government would just send a check and not obligate the rest of us.

AAAAND you left that state why????? It is the mass exodus of people from other states coming here and voting with the same kind of mentality they did in that state as to why Oregon is now in the situation it is in.

We have voted on a sales tax and voted it down more than once. As for holding the reps accountable who's going to do that? There can be major damage done in a two year period just look at what Obama has done in one.

Oregon is just going to be, and somewhat already is, Northern California.

Yep. That is a big part of the problem. California is bankrupt because of this kind of thinking. Oregon is well on it's way. I don't hardly even recognize this state anymore.

Wilco co-op out of Mt. Angel Oregon is a perfect example. They're retroactive tax is estimated to be about $100,000.00 (yes an increase due to the measures passing). PBP can go ahead and tow the party line like he always does and buy the "Big Companies dont pay their share" lie.

Also I have spoken with an aquantance from the Eugene area. He employed 65 people yesterday. Today he employs 55. You do the math (BTW his retroactive tax will be ~$58,000.00).

This WILL hurt Oregon in a big way. I just wish people who support giving more money to government would just send a check and not obligate the rest of us.
So you are saying that a 1.3% increase in their taxes created another $100,000 in additional taxes for them? So their gross sales measured in the $8,000,000 range after adjustments? That does not sound like any small business I know of.

These measures only affect small bussiness? Never heard that part of the propaganda.

You must double as an accountant PBP. If you want to know more about Wilcos dilemma ask them. All I know is that I heard it from the Vice-President. He's brobably full of bulloney!

For me, the whole issue is about accountability; I voted no on both measures because I do not believe our public money is being handled as resourcefully as possible.

The impact is yet to be seen; whether large corporations are going to lay off employees, decrease dividends on stock, sell the company jet, decrease charitable giving, raise prices, etc., is anyone's guess. The small guys are probably just going to pay the small increase. The real problem is that I feel we are rewarding a money eating machine that is producing wastefully.

I was reading over the State of Oregon budget for this year and came across and addition to the education department; it seems that our legislators thought that taking a half million dollars to hire people to follow high-school principals around and tell them they are doing a good job, is a good use of tax-payer money. Doesn't the department of education already have a hierarchy of management to do just that?

Granted that a half million bucks is a drop in the bucket, a few of these wasteful programs add up.

As far as I am concerned it is not to our best to keep giving money to a machine that is not using what it already has been given, for the good of the people.

Would you loan or give more money than you have already loaned or gave you your irresponsible brother inlaw? Would you say the state handles money responsibly? Do you think the state needs $10,000 per child per public school year to have poorer results than the $8,000 per child per private school year who has better results? The state of Oregon wastes more than enough money already. They don't need to be more comfortable. They need to pinch pennies and spend it like it's our money entrusted to them. EN TRUSTED! I don't care if it's %10 or less or more. The state of Oregon is getting fat. This vote was near a 50/50 vote so I know half of you agree with me. Next vote it's time to go on a diet and exercise some self control.

Every time the elected officials want more money they threaten to reduce police, fire, schools. If I had the authority I'd call thier bluff. Oh no you're not. Your going to take money from non essentials first and the essentials last. That makes sense. Thats how your suppose to run everything from monopoly to the U.S. government.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads