JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I read 114 closer i realize there is no real 30 day window that they gotta do anything. That's because mention of the 30 day period is followed by the IF word. If they don't finish the work in 30 days then tough, you will get the permit when they get around to it.
ALso the amount of power/discretion granted to the local LE acting as "permit agent". If (for example) i was to threaten to beat up my neighbor for crapping in my yard, i could be denied a firearm. ie.
C) Does not present reasonable grounds for a permit agent to conclude that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant's mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant's past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;
(note: my bolding of text)
so the local LE permit agent is now a trained shrink to make conclusions on my mental/psychological state??? 114 thinks so. That's a lotta power granted to a local LE.

Will the Dems close the CHL loophole in 2023?

As it is currently written, BM114 has stricter requirements to get a Permit to Purchase a firearm than the current requirements to get a License to Carry a Handgun in public.

I can see the Dems wanting to close that loophole by requiring all new and renewing CHL applicants to first have a current Purchase Permit, thus forcing all of us into the publicly searchable database.

How the hell is this a "loophole"?

One is not required for the other.

As I read 114 closer i realize there is no real 30 day window that they gotta do anything. That's because mention of the 30 day period is followed by the IF word. If they don't finish the work in 30 days then tough, you will get the permit when they get around to it.
ALso the amount of power/discretion granted to the local LE acting as "permit agent". If (for example) i was to threaten to beat up my neighbor for crapping in my yard, i could be denied a firearm. ie.

so the local LE permit agent is now a trained shrink to make conclusions on my mental/psychological state??? 114 thinks so. That's a lotta power granted to a local LE.
You must clearly be mistaken in your understanding of the English languge. The state, in defense of measure 114, has clearly stated on numerous occassions that purchase permits are "shall issue".

(Is the sarcasm drippy enough?) 🤣

You need to think like the deranged Lefties who are in charge in Salem. To them, everything that gives us Rights is a Loophole.
I can't wait for the deranged wailing and gnashing of teeth when they figure out the CHL aspect. I'm sure they'll soon come up with something like a background check every time you leave the house.

I can't wait for the deranged wailing and gnashing of teeth when they figure out the CHL aspect. I'm sure they'll soon come up with something like a background check every time you leave the house.
In Commie Canada the RCMP runs background checks on every PAL (firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence) holder daily. They will revoke the license and confiscate your guns if anything comes up.

So, you just figured that out? Congratulations.

In Commie Canada the RCMP runs background checks on every PAL (firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence) holder daily. They will revoke the license and confiscate your guns if anything comes up.
A good reason to not license or register anything that they might try to confiscate at a whim in that communist place.

Does anyone know how to find out the proposed bills relating to 114? I'm assuming that the permit organizing scheme will come from the Senate Committee on Judiciary with the framework coming from OSP. My assumption is that it's probably moving pretty quickly considering they have a deadline for early March for implementation.

The other side is funding. I believe that comes through the House Ways and Means Committee. Anyone have any insight on how to see what progress they're making?

"Based on information received from the Oregon State Sheriffs' Association, the financial impact to local government is estimated at up to $51.2 million in the first year of implementation and up to $47.5 million in subsequent years. The largest component of this estimate includes the hiring of 250 employees to process applications and 25 supervisory employees at the cost of $28.0 million annually. Initial hiring, training, and equipment costs for new employees is projected at $3.8 million in the first year of implementation and $0.8 million in each subsequent year."

I haven't seen any information that indicates the state plans to foot the bill for this. So, the counties will either have to raise property taxes or cut other services to make up the difference.
The state will have to contend with the constitutional amendment related to 1996's measure 30. Measure 30 changed the Oregon constitution to require the state to fund all things that local governments are compelled to do by the state. Measure 114's requirement that County Sheriff's and local police perform the issuance of the permits is a state requirement, ergo the state is compelled under measure 30's constitutional change to fund this activity. The state essentially has 4 options at this point:

1. Repeal the part of 114 that the local police / sheriff does the permit. Since 114 is just a law, the legislature can do this.
  2. Appropriate the funds to cover the expense.
  3. Remove the cost cap and allow local governments to allow the program to fund itself
  4. Repeal 1996's measure 30.

The state will have to contend with the constitutional amendment related to 1996's measure 30. Measure 30 changed the Oregon constitution to require the state to fund all things that local governments are compelled to do by the state. Measure 114's requirement that County Sheriff's and local police perform the issuance of the permits is a state requirement, ergo the state is compelled under measure 30's constitutional change to fund this activity. The state essentially has 4 options at this point:

1. Repeal the part of 114 that the local police / sheriff does the permit. Since 114 is just a law, the legislature can do this.
  2. Appropriate the funds to cover the expense.
  3. Remove the cost cap and allow local governments to allow the program to fund itself
  4. Repeal 1996's measure 30.
1. Doubtful. 114 needs to be funded by the state and run through OSP. There will be some trickle down funding to counties for permit issue.
2. Yes. My question was about the status and to verify that the House Ways and Means Committee will be writing the framework. How do we find out what bills will be introduced to fund the measure?
3. Don't see that option going anywhere. The courts won't allow it.
4. ???

Anyone that thinks the legislature is going to be sitting on their hands is only fooling themselves. Even with the Dems having a majority, we still have an obligation to attempt to influence the voting. I'm not sure that all Dems will be in lockstep with this before the courts decide, and they must make those decisions before the permitting provisions can even go to court in March..

1. Doubtful. 114 needs to be funded by the state and run through OSP. There will be some trickle down funding to counties for permit issue.
2. Yes. My question was about the status and to verify that the House Ways and Means Committee will be writing the framework. How do we find out what bills will be introduced to fund the measure?
3. Don't see that option going anywhere. The courts won't allow it.
4. ???

Anyone that thinks the legislature is going to be sitting on their hands is only fooling themselves. Even with the Dems having a majority, we still have an obligation to attempt to influence the voting. I'm not sure that all Dems will be in lockstep with this before the courts decide, and they must make those decisions before the permitting provisions can even go to court in March..
RE #3: What threshold would the courts limit the cost? Honest question, I have no idea. I already view the costs as unreasonable.
#4 - I consider it a long shot, but the legislature could create a carve out to measure 30 to allow the costs of the permit to be an unfunded mandate.

Here's the mentality we're up against…

And you KNOW that I left a whopper of a comment!
My reply:

A few serious questions:
1. Please explain exactly how 114 will prevent gun violence. What mechanisms in the measure will do that?
2. How does the permit system work when there are no approved instructors, no budget, and no facilities for testing?
3. Should people be required to get a background check and a permit to operate a church, since so much sexual abuse and financial fraud has been perpetrated by those running churches?
4. Should people have to get a permit to speak or publish publicly, and should such speech be limited to 1000 words per month and an audience of 1000 people, in order to prevent mass disinformation in this age of the internet?

My reply:

A few serious questions:
1. Please explain exactly how 114 will prevent gun violence. What mechanisms in the measure will do that?
2. How does the permit system work when there are no approved instructors, no budget, and no facilities for testing?
3. Should people be required to get a background check and a permit to operate a church, since so much sexual abuse and financial fraud has been perpetrated by those running churches?
4. Should people have to get a permit to speak or publish publicly, and should such speech be limited to 1000 words per month and an audience of 1000 people, in order to prevent mass disinformation in this age of the internet?
answers:
1. You are at the wrong forum for those answers, please check with any anti-gun forum.
2. You really expect a new State run system to actually work??? no one else does.
3. yes
4. yes

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top