JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Yessir, I like me some 40.

You own it like a rock star.:cool:

Personally, I'm a 9mm guy. Grew up with it, trust it, lots of capacity, almost always available and it's cheap to buy factory ammo.

Only have .45 for a 1911 (probably 1911's someday) but it's spendy to shoot factory loads.

I really didn't want to get into .45acp so I certainly do not want to add .40 to the mix.

I'm cheap and easy; however you interpret that:D

I have carried a 40S&W on duty since 2000. It is not my choice but I went with it because at that time most other officers were making the switch and I didn't want to be the odd man out if ever in need of some extra ammo. I would have stayed with my 9mm otherwise.

I'm another .40 fan..... I've got a nice subcompact Kahr in .40 that is my hot weather CC and a CX4 Storm in .40 that is more fun than having a box load of baseball's and Hillary in the dunk tank :D
9mm are fine for guys who squat to pee :p

Like the .40! It's not snappy to me because I shoot an all steel pistol! :)

They made pistols in all steel? Huh, who would have thought? :p

A .40 Firestar.

IMG_1043.JPG

+1 for .40 S&W here.

Dad carried an 80 series 1911 in 45 when I was a boy, and that's the first pistol I fell in love shooting. But it was the 40 that I got good with, and when I moved out of the house, it was a P229 in 40 that went with me. I still love shooting that P229, along with the P320, and I typically carry either a P239 or a Khar in 40.

I do enjoy shooting 9 at the range and if I'd started carrying after all the slick advancments the caliber has enjoyed, maybe I'd get used to trusting it. Then again, maybe I just need a few more guns in 9 to make sure. :D

Now that my oldest is getting ready to graduate into shooting larger calibers, I'll teach her the same thing I was taught: you should practice enough to be good at shooting anything. From there, pick what caliber you're accurate with and enjoy shooting. (Even if that's not 40 S&W :))

I think I am an endangered species. The 40 S&W guy. I hear all of the criticism about the cartridge, and none of it matters to me. I've carried it off and on since I was 22 and have a lot of confidence in it. Here is my take:

Yes, its a bit more "snappy" than 9mm or 45, but I think this is way overstated. I find it very controllable and I have competed with it and done pretty well. I have used the G22 and G17 in competition and find that how I feel on a particular day or a host of other factors have a greater impact on my shooting than the difference in cartridges.

Yes, service life is 2/3 of what you'd expect out of a 9mm or 45. Thats still 20 or 30k rounds. No big deal, thats still a really long time. I had a 257 Weatherby that showed a decent amount of throat erosion at 1200 shots. But, to me, the performance was worth it.

Yes, 40 usually has a round or two less in the magazine than a 9mm. But, it will have three to five more rounds than an comparable 45. If you can, in good conscience, feel like you have enough firepower in a 45, a 40 should be plenty.

Yes, 9mm now has the benefits of new wonder bullets. So does 40 at the same or greater velocity with a greater cross section and more bullet weight.

I only paid $21 for a box of 50 Federal 165 HST today. $14 a box for Remington UMC FMJ. Not much more expensive than 9mm and cheaper than 45.

Yessir, I like me some 40.

Remember, no mini-skirts after 40.... or is it 30? o_O

My pistol calibers are .22 lr, .22 mag , 380 for the lady, 9mm and .45acp. And had 357, 44mag and .223 pistols ( Contender). Picked up 9s because of the cost of ammo and reload for the .45. And the .40s are loaded at the upper end of the pressure limits as far as I understand. So the .45 and sweet 1911s won that battle. :)

And the new 9mm ammo can hit hard and expand well. I will only carry +p in the 9s. And warm loads in the .45 as well.

People talk about capacity with the 9mm to me this translates into the need to practice more. If you can't take care of a situation with a half dozen rounds or more you probably need to ditch the pistol and get a better tool like an ugly black rifle
Remember you are also responsible for every round you fire and where it ends up unlike our law enforcement.

People talk about capacity with the 9mm to me this translates into the need to practice more. If you can't take care of a situation with a half dozen rounds or more you probably need to ditch the pistol and get a better tool like an ugly black rifle
Remember you are also responsible for every round you fire and where it ends up unlike our law enforcement.

Not every situation fits into a neat little package and you can never predict what you may need.

I can bulls eye better then most but I'd rather have more rounds in the same size frame if I can and I can't bring a rifle with me everywhere I go.

No need to get condescending because some people prefer something different then your opinion - it's just plain goofy to assume that the preferrence for higher capacity and lower recoil translates to a lower skill level with handguns.

Tired and sore so that may have come across more hostile then intended.

Not every situation fits into a neat little package and you can never predict what you may need.

I can bulls eye better then most but I'd rather have more rounds in the same size frame if I can and I can't bring a rifle with me everywhere I go.

No need to get condescending because some people prefer something different then your opinion - it's just plain goofy to assume that the preferrence for higher capacity and lower recoil translates to a lower skill level with handguns.

Tired and sore so that may have come across more hostile then intended.
That's why the FBI went back to it - it was the round everyone could handle - skilled and unskilled. The lowest common denominator.

People knock the capacity of the 45s. Yet my XD. sub compact can hold 14 rounds. Is 14 rounds of .45 ACP not enough ?

And my 1911s will put 9 rounds on target with great accuracy. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top