JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm just going to state that as a firearms trainer in both handgun and long-gun self-defense, that anyone who walks around with a LEGAL longarm on a single-point sling (aka like in patrol in downtown Falujah) is distinctively NOT in a better position vs. a dedicated attacker. (That is, the attacker who sees your weapon and DOESN'T CARE).

1. A long arm of legal length (excluding NFA guns) is likely to get your way when responding to an ACTUAL attack, which will happen to the back of your head at the moment you WERE NOT paying attention, which puts your face on the pavement in semi-conscience. Because that's theway REAL violence occurs.

There is a lot of BS and bravado and wishful thinking about the guy who pulls a knife on you and demands your wallet. Only a complete jackass would ever confront you in such a way. Me? I'm going to wait until your back is turned and you aren't paying attention because you're arguing with your wife/GF (insert distraction) and then I'm going to sucker-punch you in the back of the head with a lead pipe from behind where you never even see it coming.

When you're on the ground and semi-conscious, THEN I'm going to put a knife to your throat and TAKE (not ask for) your wallet from your pocket.

Now if you're carrying a pistol, at some point in that confrontation, you may be able to wiggle one hand free and deploy your weapon. If you're carrying an AR on your chest, you'll be able to do Jack-sh0T nothing, because my knee is going to be right on top of it.

I'm so sick of these mall-ninja Jackasses that have never been in a serious fight in their GD lives trying to dictate to the grownups why we should be scaring the crap out of our neighbors. People we KNOW and who's sensibilities we CARE about, so that their mall-nonja fantasies can be protected or "normalized"

It ain't "normal" to strap a AR onto your chest and walk around town. There's not a damn thing normal about that. And it ALSO doesn't make a damn bit of self-defense sense. It's attention whoring. Period, end of story.

=Misterbill;944500
It ain't "normal" to strap a AR onto your chest and walk around town. There's not a damn thing normal about that. And it ALSO doesn't make a damn bit of self-defense sense. It's attention whoring. Period, end of story.

That sums it up pretty well. IMHO.

I'm just going to state that as a firearms trainer in both handgun and long-gun self-defense, that anyone who walks around with a LEGAL longarm on a single-point sling (aka like in patrol in downtown Falujah) is distinctively NOT in a better position vs. a dedicated attacker. (That is, the attacker who sees your weapon and DOESN'T CARE).

1. A long arm of legal length (excluding NFA guns) is likely to get your way when responding to an ACTUAL attack, which will happen to the back of your head at the moment you WERE NOT paying attention, which puts your face on the pavement in semi-conscience. Because that's theway REAL violence occurs.

There is a lot of BS and bravado and wishful thinking about the guy who pulls a knife on you and demands your wallet. Only a complete jackass would ever confront you in such a way. Me? I'm going to wait until your back is turned and you aren't paying attention because you're arguing with your wife/GF (insert distraction) and then I'm going to sucker-punch you in the back of the head with a lead pipe from behind where you never even see it coming.

When you're on the ground and semi-conscious, THEN I'm going to put a knife to your throat and TAKE (not ask for) your wallet from your pocket.

Now if you're carrying a pistol, at some point in that confrontation, you may be able to wiggle one hand free and deploy your weapon. If you're carrying an AR on your chest, you'll be able to do Jack-sh0T nothing, because my knee is going to be right on top of it.

I'm so sick of these mall-ninja Jackasses that have never been in a serious fight in their GD lives trying to dictate to the grownups why we should be scaring the crap out of our neighbors. People we KNOW and who's sensibilities we CARE about, so that their mall-nonja fantasies can be protected or "normalized"

The supreme court is likely to conclude that the bearing of long arms is a protected constitutional right. A right must be exercised or the right will be lost. People used to be able to carry long arms and the only way we'll be able to do so again, w/o being harassed, is when enough people take to the streets and exercise the right.

A concealed handgun may be better for self-defense in some circumstances, but historically concealed arms were used by criminals.

The supreme court is likely to conclude that the bearing of long arms is a protected constitutional right. A right must be exercised or the right will be lost. People used to be able to carry long arms and the only way we'll be able to do so again, w/o being harassed, is when enough people take to the streets and exercise the right.
A concealed handgun may be better for self-defense in some circumstances, but historically concealed arms were used by criminals.

I might be exercising that right real soon. If we attack Syria ,and Russia and China jump to help Syria, and then Iran and Israel are expected go at it.

I will be toting my AR everywhere I go, just in case.

I believe the actions of the person on the video are not going to "normalize" anything. They are counter-productive.

I respect the police officers involved in the conversation, I am a bit surprised by how professionally they managed the situation. I agree with their remarks that people who open-carry AR-15s are looking for attention.

I strongly believe that our long-term goals are better achieved using other methods (such as taking friends to the range). Open-carrying AR-15 in any place that is not a war/riot zone is impractical, looks weird, scares people, and gives our community a bad rep. I wish people would realize that they are not making new friends by doing that.

I worked in Chehalis for a time in 1991, in the health building across from the courthouse. One September day, a fellow walked down the street in front of me (ground floor) with his deer rifle slung on his shoulder. I think that he was on his way to a gun store around the corner. No one noticed, no one was bothered by the sight, but I remarked at the time that in Portland/Vancouver some panicked citizen would call the police because "there's a man with a gun!"

It's sad that "right" is more about what the population is used to seeing than anything else.

Thomas Jefferson suggested that one should take walks with their gun.

And yes, I'd be uncomfortable carrying my AR slung in public, not because I am afraid of what I might do with it, but because of the panic that it would cause and the hassles that would follow.

There's an appropriate way to do anything. There ARE actually appropriate times to carry your AR on your shoulder. In the woods, on the ranch, on the range (if your range rolls that way), maybe even some types of public demonstrations- 2A demonstrations, where there's an expectation of seeing openly carried handguns and black rifles. But there's NONE, and there SHOULD BE NO expectation of people walking around peaceful suburban streets with a black rifle slung. People reference other places where you can see people walking around with rifles slung.... and aside from very small, almost entirely monocultural societies, these are always active war zones.

There's an appropriate way to do anything.

Yeah, pretty much man. Someone mentioned that people would be calling the police if they came across a person carrying a slung rifle here in Vancouver. Well, I have come across 3 people in the last year carrying guns locally.

2 different times at sportsmans warehouse, I watched 2 different folks carry long guns through the parking lot and into the store.

No cops called.

I was out by Lucia Falls and came across a man open carrying a N frame, no cops called.

Not rocket science here. If you carry a gun openly intending to divert attention toward yourself, this is exactly what will happen.

Going to buy fireworks here in e vancouver from one of the various organizations trying to generate fundraising for schools, while wearing a chest rig and a slung AR, with kids all around ? Yeah... Vantucky police will be called.

You want my honest opinion? If youve been an active member of the NRA since 1979, then youre the problem. Why didnt you stick up for our rights then? Oh thats because the rights they were taking away from YOU didnt apply at that time. How did it get to this point? Well from people not exercising their rights. If youre gonna be one to call the cops when someone does something LEGAL just because you dont agree with it, well then you deserve to have your rights taken. Which it seems your ok with. Thats the problem with people like you, dont want to follow the law, only popular opinion of the time.....

Only an ignoramus would jump to your conclusions.

ig·no·ra·mus noun \ˌig-nə-ˈrā-məs also -ˈra-\
plural ig·no·ra·mus·es also ig·no·ra·mi

Definition of IGNORAMUS
: an utterly ignorant person
: dunce

Examples of IGNORAMUS

I can't believe they let an ignoramus like that run the company.
<only an ignoramus would be foiled by the building's security system>
Origin of IGNORAMUS

Ignoramus, ignorant lawyer in Ignoramus (1615), play by George Ruggle, from Latin, literally, we are ignorant of
First Known Use: circa 1616

There's an appropriate way to do anything. There ARE actually appropriate times to carry your AR on your shoulder. In the woods, on the ranch, on the range (if your range rolls that way), maybe even some types of public demonstrations- 2A demonstrations, where there's an expectation of seeing openly carried handguns and black rifles. But there's NONE, and there SHOULD BE NO expectation of people walking around peaceful suburban streets with a black rifle slung. People reference other places where you can see people walking around with rifles slung.... and aside from very small, almost entirely monocultural societies, these are always active war zones.

So, if he were to carry a ruger mini14 with a wood stock he would be good to carry it in the suburbs? What defines a 2A demonstration?

So, if he were to carry a ruger mini14 with a wood stock he would be good to carry it in the suburbs? What defines a 2A demonstration?

It's the example I gave, because it's what we're talking about specifically. Want to go down a list?

Long arms cause problems in peaceful suburban environments. To strap on and openly carry around a long arm is to invite problems... especially black rifles.

It's the example I gave, because it's what we're talking about specifically. Want to go down a list?

Long arms cause problems in peaceful suburban environments. To strap on and openly carry around a long arm is to invite problems... especially black rifles.

So, you would ban the carry of all long arms including muskets in suburban environments? You are the problem.

Nobody said ban, idiot.

The carry of rifles is "[in]appropriate" and "there SHOULD BE NO expectation..." to carry one in a suburban environment. If it is inappropriate and no one should do it, that makes me think you want a ban on it.

The carry of rifles is "[in]appropriate" and "there SHOULD BE NO expectation..." to carry one in a suburban environment. If it is inappropriate and no one should do it, that makes me think you want a ban on it.

You should read all of my posts in this thread.

Yawn...another open carry attention whore.

I'm so tired of these people, that part of me actually hopes they DO get arrested and loose their firearm. That way, they aren't making the other 99% of firearms owners look like idiots.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top