JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No matter where you are, or who your are, you have a chance of encountering someone who is willing to take your life. For example, Major General Marion Carl, the first Marine Corps Ace:

Carl returned to his native Oregon, where he and his wife Edna settled near Roseburg. Marion Carl's memoir, Pushing the Envelope, coauthored with his friend Barrett Tillman, was published in 1994.[2] In 1998, at age 82, he was shot to death with a shotgun during a robbery, defending Edna from a home invader.[3] Carl was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.[4]

His murderer, 19-year-old Jesse F****, was apprehended one week later. In April 1999, he was convicted on two counts of aggravated murder (and 11 additional felony charge) and sentenced to death. In 2003, his conviction and death sentence was upheld by the Oregon Supreme Court. In December 2011, the sentence was overturned.[5]

Marion Eugene Carl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marion Carl died after walking into his living room late one Sunday night where he found F**** aiming a sawed-off shotgun at his wife. F**** had broken into the home about 11 p.m., shouting at Edna Carl and demanding money and her car keys. Her husband lunged at F****, who fired a shot that grazed the side of his wife's head.

F**** then turned the gun on the 82-year-old Carl and killed him. F**** took money from the couple's wallets and fled in their car.

Family of Maj. Gen. Marion Carl doesn't want war hero's killer released from prison | OregonLive.com

He died a hero. You can call him a fool if you "feel" that you are correct.

Edit: The murder's name is intact in the web sites, the software here must not like his name!

I never said it wasn't good to be prepared which is why I have my CHL and carry. I also don't go looking for trouble and if given the opportunity will exit the area of danger. I carry to protect my loved ones, myself and potentially other innocents. I don't carry to play Wyatt Earp.

Oh good...another paranoid Internet tough guy, just what the pro 2A movement needs. What a bunch of malarkey.

Unless you actually carry a rifle on your person everywhere you go which I highly doubt then you are looking for trouble. If you are in a situation that requires you to go get your rifle from wherever you have it stashed other than your residence then you have the opportunity to leave the situation and avoid further danger to yourself. That's called self defense. If you choose the get your rifle and re-enter the situation then it's no longer self defense.

Nope, not a tough guy. Just a well traveled young man.
Leos do the same thing, longarms generally stay in the vehicle until its time to take it out. And at that point they've got bigger fish to fry. I carry a side arm just as they and if that cant do the job then yes, Ive got a shotgun or rifle ready. Preparedness (for me) doesn't have a thing to do with acting "tough". I speak my mind, and if you think Im a badass then Im flattered, truly, but those who know me or have dealt with me on good terms know Im a very nice guy some might even say humble. But when push comes to shove, yes Ill be the would be assailants worse nightmare. Not pseudo toughness, Im just confident in my beliefs and abilities.

Nope, not a tough guy. Just a well traveled young man.
Leos do the same thing, longarms generally stay in the vehicle until its time to take it out. And at that point they've got bigger fish to fry. I carry a side arm just as they and if that cant do the job then yes, Ive got a shotgun or rifle ready. Preparedness (for me) doesn't have a thing to do with acting "tough". I speak my mind, and if you think Im a badass then Im flattered, truly, but those who know me or have dealt with me on good terms know Im a very nice guy some might even say humble. But when push comes to shove, yes Ill be the would be assailants worse nightmare. Not pseudo toughness, Im just confident in my beliefs and abilities.

Sounds more like you're a wannabe LEO. Once again, self defense is not looking for trouble, it's staying out of trouble. A sidearm is used to extract ones self from a situation where every other means of resolving it has been exhausted. If you are carrying for any reason other than that then you should not be carrying. It is not the job of private citizens armed or otherwise to intervene in a dangerous situation, that's what LEOs are paid to do. If you have the time to get to your long gun in your car then you probably have time to vacate the area, call 911 and let the professionals handle the situation.

Sounds more like you're a wannabe LEO. Once again, self defense is not looking for trouble, it's staying out of trouble. A sidearm is used to extract ones self from a situation where every other means of resolving it has been exhausted. If you are carrying for any reason other than that then you should not be carrying. It is not the job of private citizens armed or otherwise to intervene in a dangerous situation, that's what LEOs are paid to do. If you have the time to get to your long gun in your car then you probably have time to vacate the area, call 911 and let the professionals handle the situation.
Oh lord no. I get no joy from extortion or bossing my fellow peers around. Nor do I seek to.
As per your personal opinion on carrying firearms.. I strongly disagree. I don't at all intend to use my firearm to just get away it is my personal duty to put evil down should the need ever arise. Too much running away lets evil do more evil. Id rather be a sheep dog than a cowardice sheep. . And leos are in no way professionals. More than a few instances to back that up. Id rather get shot by an assailant than from the stray round popped off by a desk jockey.

I bet you would be in favor of the duty to flee law?
Sickening.

I see this thread has gone sour with some sheepish firearm owners opinions.
I don't need to defend myself any further, however I did need to tell you how incredibly flawed and dangerous your beliefs are. I hope you stay safe out there, Im sure your leos will be there to help in 5-20 minutes. Ill take my freedom and safety into my own hands thank you.

Oh lord no. I get no joy from extortion or bossing my fellow peers around. Nor do I seek to.
As per your personal opinion on carrying firearms.. I strongly disagree. I don't at all intend to use my firearm to just get away it is my personal duty to put evil down should the need ever arise. Too much running away lets evil do more evil. Id rather be a sheep dog than a cowardice sheep. . And leos are in no way professionals. More than a few instances to back that up. Id rather get shot by an assailant than from the stray round popped off by a desk jockey.

I bet you would be in favor of the duty to flee law?
Sickening.

I see this thread has gone sour with some sheepish firearm owners opinions.
I don't need to defend myself any further, however I did need to tell you how incredibly flawed and dangerous your beliefs are. I hope you stay safe out there, Im sure your leos will be there to help in 5-20 minutes. Ill take my freedom and safety into my own hands thank you.

Oh my, big ol' tough guy 24 year old Chase and his manly semi auto rifle and shotgun. Tell me do you have blue tights with a big red S on the chest as well? Guys like you truly are scary especially to professionals since you're unpredictable and not very bright.

No I'm not in favor of duty to retreat laws but I am in favor of doing the smart thing and not making a bad situation worse. Guys like you who are just itching to get into a gun fight are almost as dangerous as the bad guys. You need to dial back the testosterone long enough to live to get a little older and wiser if that's possible. There's more than a few who have disproven that old saw so it may be hopeless for you.

I've had my CCW/CHL since you were still having accidents in your big boy pants and somehow never had the need to draw my weapon. I've traveled to every state in the union, lived in Detroit and never been robbed or assaulted. It's called 'situational awareness' and it means not letting yourself become a victim or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have no doubt that if I need to use my weapon to defend life then I will but it hasn't happened yet and I'm not going to go out of my way to seek it out.

Grow up and lose the hyperbole Chase. We live in a civilized society not some third world backwater.

I have. Go ahead and cite yours, though. ;)

Ideas & Trends - Don't Shoot - The Culture of Cops and Guns - NYTimes.com

But if the police are not shooting their guns -- nearly 95 percent of New York City's 38,000 officers have never fired their weapons while fighting crime -- what are they doing with them?

Becoming a Police Officer: Risks | Education.com

In reality, most police officers retire at the end of a 20- or 25-year career without ever having fired a weapon other than at the practice range. Certainly the vast majority have never had to fire at another person.

I don't quite follow... please elucidate me.

Carrying a long gun on your person aside from being uncomfortable and somewhat ridiculous is a form of self defense. If you have no other weapon and feel that you are truly in a potentially life threatening situation then there is some merit to carrying a long gun. Obviously soldiers carry long guns on their persons during war as a form of self defense as well as offense. Nevertheless, the notion that someone, even our resident bad*** Chase carries a long gun when he takes his girlfriend out to dinner at Applebees for the 2 for $20 special is a little absurd so I'm going to go on the assumption that he carries his rifle/shotgun in the trunk of his car.

Now since we all know Chase would never leave the house unarmed we will also assume that he is carrying his trusty 1911 or maybe something a little more concealable, who knows and more importantly who cares? If Chase gets into a situation where he feels it's necessary to draw his pistol, say the waitress puts ranch dressing on his salad instead of thousand island then he should be doing it because he assumes that he and/or others are in imminent danger of death or grave bodily injury. At that point he should be focused on mitigating the threat by whatever means necessary including vacating the premises. If he takes the time to go out to his vehicle and get the long gun out of his trunk then go back inside then he is no longer acting in self defense. Capiche?

Oh my, big ol' tough guy 24 year old Chase and his manly semi auto rifle and shotgun. Tell me do you have blue tights with a big red S on the chest as well? Guys like you truly are scary especially to professionals since you're unpredictable and not very bright.

No I'm not in favor of duty to retreat laws but I am in favor of doing the smart thing and not making a bad situation worse. Guys like you who are just itching to get into a gun fight are almost as dangerous as the bad guys. You need to dial back the testosterone long enough to live to get a little older and wiser if that's possible. There's more than a few who have disproven that old saw so it may be hopeless for you.

I've had my CCW/CHL since you were still having accidents in your big boy pants and somehow never had the need to draw my weapon. I've traveled to every state in the union, lived in Detroit and never been robbed or assaulted. It's called 'situational awareness' and it means not letting yourself become a victim or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have no doubt that if I need to use my weapon to defend life then I will but it hasn't happened yet and I'm not going to go out of my way to seek it out.

Grow up and lose the hyperbole Chase. We live in a civilized society not some third world backwater.
You're pretty cute when you're angry.

None of that says non-leo are less likely to use a firearm than a LEO.

Try again?

Nope, there are no reliable statistics which indicate how many CCW holders have fired their weapons in self defense but simple logic would dictate that since most CCW holders aren't first responders they don't put themselves in a position to necessitate the use of deadly force.

Nope, there are no reliable statistics which indicate how many CCW holders have fired their weapons in self defense but simple logic would dictate that since most CCW holders aren't first responders they don't put themselves in a position to necessitate the use of deadly force.

Simple logic would dictate that Civilians are first-on-the-scene and more likely to encounter a violent offender. Law Enforcement show up after-the-fact. Drug raids (etc) are a very small percentage of their work. Simple logic would dictate that there are a thousand times more civilians than law enforcement, so by sheer numbers alone there will be more pro-civilian shootings than pro-LEO shootings.

Simple logic would also dictate that you are pulling that "Fact" from a very dark area, like a true NWFA Expert would. Don't be embarrassed, this website is full of that bubblegum.

Simple logic would dictate that Civilians are first-on-the-scene and more likely to encounter a violent offender. Law Enforcement show up after-the-fact. Drug raids (etc) are a very small percentage of their work. Simple logic would dictate that there are a thousand times more civilians than law enforcement, so by sheer numbers alone there will be more pro-civilian shootings than pro-LEO shootings.

Simple logic would also dictate that you are pulling that "Fact" from a very dark area, like a true NWFA Expert would. Don't be embarrassed, this website is full of that bubblegum.

Not sure you could be much more wrong Joe. The vast majority of violent crime these days is bad guy vs bad guy. Better look it up. More people commit suicide with guns than get shot by someone else and the vast majority of the shootings are done with illegal weapons. Apparently you've been spending quite a bit of time with your head firmly wedged in your own 'very dark area' Joe.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top