JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you carry a nuke around with you? Do you want to see them paraded through the streets? We keep our nukes in the gun safe, right next to our ARs.

It was a reply of absurdity to illustrate the portions of absurdity in the statement claiming that the world is safer than at any other time in history. That is one incredible veil of illusion/delusion right there.

I've been around the world three times for Uncle Sam accross thirteen countries, and have been in 30 of 50 of the U.S.A. I can assure you that the world has never been MORE dangerous, and is precipitating further into the abyss.

Other than that, open carrying a long-gun is not something I would generally choose to do, because other than a very few extenuating circumstances it would be nothing more than attention seeking.

I've been around the world three times for Uncle Sam accross thirteen countries, and have been in 30 of 50 of the U.S.A. I can assure you that the world has never been MORE dangerous, and is precipitating further into the abyss.

Actually, not even close.

Crime in the USA is HALF of what is was when I was a youngster and young man. -And we have a lot MORE and better reporting, which actually means it's probably even LESS than half.

Worldwide, although chaotic, it's LESS awful than it was when ALL of Central America was imploding, Massive insurgencies all across south America and Africa doing, well, what it always does, regardless. The big deal, is that we aren't at the brink of WW3 and GLOBAL extermination of the human race. And THAT, is a threat that whose existence being destroyed, contributes a lot more to my peace of mind than +or- 5% on my local crime rate ever could.

I grew up and served in the military in a branch and in a specialty that dealt specifically with our nuclear deterrent. There were a couple of incidents that had ALL of us thinking we were about to witness the extinction of the human race. Thankfully, they never panned out.

If you weren't there, you just don't, won't and can't understand the level of horror involved.

As for the middle east, they've long awaited their counter-reformation wars. Let them have them. As long as we stay the Hell out, we have little to fear.

I remind you that 911, as horrific as it was, is NOTHING compared to the destruction rained on London during the blitz, or Stalingrad, or even Sarajevo.

So lets get mad, and let's get even, by all means. But keep it in perspective.

There have been a lot of studies done on this. Peer-reviewed and subject to a lot of scrutiny, and they ALL show less violence overall now, compared to any time in our recorded history as a species.

I'm not arguing against reported crime statistics, but you just wait until the cartels get their hydra-tentacles more entrenched in this area.

Case in point; I got to play the "stare-down game" with a couple cholo's that had "503" tattoos (denotes Oregon based MS13 gangsters) in Safeway tonight.

They noticed the OC collapsible baton on my belt (but missed the CCW in my cargo pocket) and blinked first... that won't be reported by the newsroom or make in into FBI statistics.

Then there's the matter of WHEN the economy REALY tanks we'll see how civil things stay. We're just a mere 72 hours away from mass anarchy at any given moment... and that's my point for saying what I have said. ;)

bubblegum like this never happens to me.

Generally speaking I can say the same thing. I'm 46 and I can count on one hand the times I've had someone attempt to intimidate me in "street punk" fashion in the "civilian world". I'm 6' tall @ 210lbs (and in shape), I (naturally) carry myself just like I did while body-guarding Army Generals, so I don't exactly have "easy victim" written on my forehead.

The last two times I have had "conflict" (last night & around 2yrs. ago in front of my house) has been in my hometown of Woodburn w/young Latino jack-holes who either had something to prove to get into the local gang-clique, or suffered from illusions of "machismo" grandeur. Both times they skulked off w/ their tails between their legs. That's the thing about bullies... @ the core, they're cowards... Just sayin'.

And trust me WE DO have that kind of an issue here.
As a serviceman, Ive seen more than my fair share. There IS a reason I carry a pistol and rifle with me everywhere. Its not paranoia, its preparedness. Im also into redundancy.
Ive got a second knife and leatherman if one should break or wander off.

First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country.

I must point out, however, that you (I would assume) carried that rifle for guard duty or in a war zone.

Our local schools and shopping malls are not war zones. If you choose to keep a rifle locked in your trunk thats one thing, but I can see no rational self-defense need for a long arm to be carried openly on the streets or near schools or in a mall as a matter of routine. As a civilian living in a non-war zone, if there was ever an area such as a mall where I felt that a long arm was necessary for my safety, prudence would dictate that my first choice would be to avoid that area altogether...which is a luxury that servicemen in a combat zone obviously do not have.

I can deploy a holstered and concealed handgun against an assailant in far less time than it would take for me to deploy a rifle slung across my back. I can also sit down without having to unsling the rifle and lean it against a wall or set it across my lap. A holstered handgun requires less handling, which reduces the risk of a negligent discharge and minimizes the risk of accidentally pointing the muzzle of the weapon at an innocent party. I can deploy a holstered handgun while seated in a car and I can deploy a holstered handgun in a crowded area such as an elevator or a stairwell. And...since every bullet you fire in a self-defense situation has a $250-an-hour lawyer attached to it.....I would much rather rely on a handgun that fires a lower-velocity projectile with far less range and risk of overpenetration than a .223 or .308 round coming out of the barrel of a rifle.

Just my .02 and, once again, thank you for your service to our country.

One could say its an expression, however Ive earned my stories.
My successes and my few failures. But I own them all.
Also take note, I assure you I fight more for both our Second Amendment rights more than you ever will. :)

What evidence have you that this fight you fight is my fight?

What evidence have you that this fight you fight is my fight?

Judging by your obvious anti second amendment and freedom posts I think you're right. I think I may just be fighting for my (and MANY others) rights. You excluded of course.
But, I respect your right to say what you want even though MOST of us disagree with it.

But, reading your posts I know sure as bubblegum you (personally) don't do anything to help our
(second amendment advocates) rights. Your thought process is a liberal "progressive" one, which only undermines our (second amendment advocates) efforts to ensure our 2A rights.

Judging by your obvious anti second amendment and freedom posts I think you're right. I think I may just be fighting for my (and MANY others) rights. You excluded of course.
But, I respect your right to say what you want even though MOST of us disagree with it.

But, reading your posts I know sure as bubblegum you (personally) don't do anything to help our
(second amendment advocates) rights. Your thought process is a liberal "progressive" one, which only undermines our (second amendment advocates) efforts to ensure our 2A rights.

You give me one bubbleguming example of an anti- second-amendment post I've ever made, assjack.

Here's the only gun law I'd ever support:

"There shall be no law, regulation, nor ordinance regarding the construction, possession, use, or transfer, of weapons, among free men."

Make it a Constitutional amendment, I'll sign.

What do I DO for gun rights? Well, aside from raising my 5 boys to be freedom-loving, gun-shooting Americans- and yet socially-responsible (what???)- and, by proxy, educating those around me about the realities of firearms function and regulation, and contributing small amounts of money to this site, my range, and other local causes, nothing. What should I do? Should I go march on Washington? I have a family and a business to run and pleasures to pursue. The Constitution has been abandoned, and for 150 years, nobody has done anything about it.

What do YOU do for unborn baby rights? What do YOU do for the poor? What do YOU do for climbing access? I bet you don't do ANYTHING for climbing, do you? DO YOU? Don't even look me in the eye.

We all have our own things, bro. Don't you bubbleguming condescend to me about bubblegum- your priorities don't make you any holier than me.

Take it easy fellas... there's no profit in going on a tear at each other. I see and agree with tenants of both sides of the OP in this thread. Therein lies the challenge that has always plagued "free" societies throughout history (as far and few as there have been anyway)... The wise balance of personal/civil liberties/rights vs. personal/civil responsibilities of not being a stumbling block to your fellow citizens.

Like Ben, I (too) don't want to live in a country were its necessary to have a long gun strapped to my back everywhere I go like they do in Israel (that would be horrible), but I would if ever needed until such time as no longer required, and don't want my right and ability to do it infringed upon.

IMHO that's all any of us should be saying in a nutshell... Just sayin'.

Getting a lot of mileage out of this one lately.

popcorn_yes_zpsc03f2e6f.gif

Its those who are unprepared that beg for mercy and assistance. Its NEVER about having "just enough".. Its the same argument of magazine capacity. Its not about having just enough, its about having what you'll need and enough of it when/if you might need it.

And yes, leos carry rifles for a reason, we should and have every right to do the same. We have all the same chances of running into scum as they.

And trust me WE DO have that kind of an issue here.
As a serviceman, Ive seen more than my fair share. There IS a reason I carry a pistol and rifle with me everywhere. Its not paranoia, its preparedness. Im also into redundancy.
Ive got a second knife and leatherman if one should break or wander off.

Unless you are paid to look for trouble then you do not have "all the same chances of running into scum as they." Private citizens are allowed to carry for self defense not self offense and you would do well to remember that. Constitutional issues aside for the moment, there is ample case law to support the fact that being stupid with your gun even if you carry legally will still get you thrown in jail and rightfully so.

Who do you think meets a violent person first; a victim or a police officer?

Fact: the majority of police officers go their entire career without discharging their weapon outside of the practice range. Your odds as a private citizen of needing to discharge your weapon outside the range are substantially less.

Fact: the majority of police officers go their entire career without discharging their weapon outside of the practice range. Your odds as a private citizen of needing to discharge your weapon outside the range are substantially less.

No matter where you are, or who your are, you have a chance of encountering someone who is willing to take your life. For example, Major General Marion Carl, the first Marine Corps Ace:

Carl returned to his native Oregon, where he and his wife Edna settled near Roseburg. Marion Carl's memoir, Pushing the Envelope, coauthored with his friend Barrett Tillman, was published in 1994.[2] In 1998, at age 82, he was shot to death with a shotgun during a robbery, defending Edna from a home invader.[3] Carl was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.[4]

His murderer, 19-year-old Jesse F****, was apprehended one week later. In April 1999, he was convicted on two counts of aggravated murder (and 11 additional felony charge) and sentenced to death. In 2003, his conviction and death sentence was upheld by the Oregon Supreme Court. In December 2011, the sentence was overturned.[5]

Marion Eugene Carl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marion Carl died after walking into his living room late one Sunday night where he found F**** aiming a sawed-off shotgun at his wife. F**** had broken into the home about 11 p.m., shouting at Edna Carl and demanding money and her car keys. Her husband lunged at F****, who fired a shot that grazed the side of his wife's head.

F**** then turned the gun on the 82-year-old Carl and killed him. F**** took money from the couple's wallets and fled in their car.

Family of Maj. Gen. Marion Carl doesn't want war hero's killer released from prison | OregonLive.com

He died a hero. You can call him a fool if you "feel" that you are correct.

Edit: The murder's name is intact in the web sites, the software here must not like his name!

Unless you are paid to look for trouble then you do not have "all the same chances of running into scum as they." Private citizens are allowed to carry for self defense not self offense and you would do well to remember that. Constitutional issues aside for the moment, there is ample case law to support the fact that being stupid with your gun even if you carry legally will still get you thrown in jail and rightfully so.
You're a funny guy.
In my travels Ive had multiple experiences that found ME. I did not seek trouble, it always seems to come knocking at my door. Because I have to travel and drive through every little through way and side road, every neighborhood good or bad due to the clients location I most certainly see the scum. They don't hide in the shadows when I pass through like they do law enforcement. So yes, I do need to be prepared. Experience has conditioned me so.

Being a bigger guy luckily Ive been able to talk down or work my way out of a mob of unruly would be assailants. Which at times is also a hinderance, for some god damn reason the groups of tiny gang bangers want to challenge me simply due to my size or my lack of fear for their presence. I don't seek to escalate any situation but Ill be damned if Im going to let those cowards push me around. Words for words and physical action for physical action.

The analogy goes like this, those who are speeding or driving erratically do so knowing the leos isn't around, when they see law enforcement they slow down and drive normal.. However the minute they are out of the leos presence they continue to speed and drive erratically.
As a journeyman I see this constantly. Same goes for opportunists and street criminals alike.

After seeing it for myself, I know what Im personally talking about, for you.. experiences may differ.

Meth-heads, groups of gangsters, the violent mentally ill, the homeless (which are a mix of the bunch) all have approached me and my experiences vary from there.
Either way, I carry to be prepared. Prepared for most anything. Even if DHS sets up shop and tried to prevent me from getting to my family.. Ill work my way back home somehow.

You're a funny guy.
In my travels Ive had multiple experiences that found ME. I did not seek trouble, it always seems to come knocking at my door. Because I have to travel and drive through every little through way and side road, every neighborhood good or bad due to the clients location I most certainly see the scum. They don't hide in the shadows when I pass through like they do law enforcement. So yes, I do need to be prepared. Experience has conditioned me so.

Being a bigger guy luckily Ive been able to talk down or work my way out of a mob of unruly would be assailants. Which at times is also a hinderance, for some god damn reason the groups of tiny gang bangers want to challenge me simply due to my size or my lack of fear for their presence. I don't seek to escalate any situation but Ill be damned if Im going to let those cowards push me around. Words for words and physical action for physical action.

The analogy goes like this, those who are speeding or driving erratically do so knowing the leos isn't around, when they see law enforcement they slow down and drive normal.. However the minute they are out of the leos presence they continue to speed and drive erratically.
As a journeyman I see this constantly. Same goes for opportunists and street criminals alike.

After seeing it for myself, I know what Im personally talking about, for you.. experiences may differ.

Meth-heads, groups of gangsters, the violent mentally ill, the homeless (which are a mix of the bunch) all have approached me and my experiences vary from there.
Either way, I carry to be prepared. Prepared for most anything. Even if DHS sets up shop and tried to prevent me from getting to my family.. Ill work my way back home somehow.

Oh good...another paranoid Internet tough guy, just what the pro 2A movement needs. What a bunch of malarkey.

Unless you actually carry a rifle on your person everywhere you go which I highly doubt then you are looking for trouble. If you are in a situation that requires you to go get your rifle from wherever you have it stashed other than your residence then you have the opportunity to leave the situation and avoid further danger to yourself. That's called self defense. If you choose the get your rifle and re-enter the situation then it's no longer self defense.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top