JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A nice read, and while you are socially distancing, make some yourself.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/original-mcdonalds-french-fry-recipe

"F rom Julia Child to Paul Bocuse to James Beard, some of the biggest names in food history are also people who have professed their love for the same french fry—a french fry that, in no exaggerated manner, birthed an empire. A french fry that no one has eaten in more than 30 years. "

" Done properly, the McMenu PDF will leave you with a pile of commercial-ready, golden-brown, pre-Sokolofian shoestrings. As for taste, it became clear on my first bite why it took $15 million to put them out of production. Where modern fries are bland and leave my mouth with the aforementioned uneasy beaniness, the McMenu PDF fries pack a serious punch that left my palate screaming for more. A subtle, beefy umami saddled neatly next to the underlying sweetness from brining. The crisp, browned edges provided an audible crunch. The insides retained a sweet, buttery texture. My only complaint was that I had to stop eating and photograph them. They are hands-down the best fast-food fries I've ever eaten. "

The best part:

Exchanging beef tallow for pure vegetable oil in high-temperature frying introduced consumers to a different and arguably worse dietary threat than saturated fats: trans fats, which, as we now know, are a major cause of cardiovascular disease, digestive issues, and weight gain. Despite the best intentions, Sokolof ultimately made a bad problem worse,

As happens from the beginning of freedom. Someone decides they know "best for all" and sets out to tell everyone else how to live. Because they "know better" and the people are too stupid to know how to live.

Last Edited:
I worked at one in like 88-89 and I kinda remember the transition. the grease used to be all solid and in a cart and you would use something like an ice scoop to get it out to top off the fryers or to replace old oil. had to go slow or you would start a fire if the fryer got to hot with out enough oil in it.. then I remember it changing to liquid oil in jugs at some point.

Speaking about McD.

I need to get my behind down there and get a McRib. As I recall.....it wasn't all that tasty, the last time I had it. But, what the hell. It's been almost 10 years.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top