JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first time, so I'm taking it slow. Nothing in the way of an authentic style, just what looked neat to me. .62 Cal. smooth bore.:)

Breach threading-1.jpg Me and a 3' long pipe tapping the breach. That steel sure is tough.
Rifle-1.jpg Roughing out the stock. So far the most expensive piece. I had to buy a 2"x 10" x 6'
Stock-3.jpg Unfinished shotgun barrel from Numrich Arms. $30.00. I think it's a 20ga. Sure was rusty..but cleaned up nicely.:rolleyes:
Rifle-2.jpg Planing the cock and trigger linkage. Cock-3.jpg
Only about 2/3 done. I had to order some more Dremel sanding drums. Next will be the side plate, trigger and linkage. This project sure makes me appreciate someone in the Middle East, hunkered down over his bench making an AK47 out of an old railroad rail.:eek:
Cock-2.jpg A few near misses, but so far no blood has been shed. :):):)

I finished the linkage from the cock to the trigger today and I'm going to have to find a way to lighten the cock.:eek:
It is just too heavy and causes too much friction in the linkage.:(
It's made it from 3/8" aluminum plate, so there is a lot I can carve off without affecting the strength. :rolleyes:
Oh well, back to the Dremel Tool. Sure wish I had a milling machine.:)

Note* If I had a milling machine I could just screw things up faster, he said after making the same piece
3 times.:mad:
I am making some progress though.:D Here is the lock, from plastic to metal. Tonight it was carving the primer pan out of a block of aluminum and making some matches out of cotton cloths line. The front sight is part of a brass hinge soldered to the barrel. Finishing the stock will be last.
Oh, I've lined up some black powder for initial testing. Maybe a week, or so. :)
Lock On-3.jpg Lock Plate-1.jpg

I always tried to use the ground pin/bolts for pivots, cuts down on friction.
I shopped the hardware store in their plastic bow isle. 1/4" might be the smallest, it's been a few years since I made up my action from "bits".

Almost ready for testing..Not the prettiest thing in the world.:(
A lot more, "Finishing", needed.:rolleyes:
I'm going to have to figure out something other than rubber Bands
to hold the barrel in place.:eek::eek::eek:

Pan Cover.jpg Trigger Guard-1.jpg Trigger Guard-3.jpg

I used 1/4" cotton line, (no nylon core), cut into 12" lengths and soaked it in 1 qt. of water with, 3 tbsp of Stump Remover. Saved the left-over solution in an old peanut butter jar. Waste not-want not.:D
It works great, burns slowly with a nice coal.:)
Lots of good info on the subject on the WEB.:p

All I need now is a Muzzle Brake, Laser and a 30 rnd match holder...:eek::eek::eek:

At his age, Andy can probably verify this...:rolleyes:
During a battle most foot soldiers tried to avoid standing next to a
Musketier with all of his flasks of black powder and a store of lit matches
in his boot.:eek:

Last Edited:
I found some brass strips at ACE Hardware and formed my barrel bands tonight.

After forming them around the barrel, I soldered the tabs so they would hold their
shape. Tomorrow I'll inlet the stock so the barrel will lay back down in it's channel.
When everything is in its proper place, I'll drill an eighth inch hole through the
stock and the tab under the each band. Then, I'll have to figure out what I want to
use for retaining pins. I'll pick up some, "Plum Brown" for the barrel on Thursday.
That should really show off the brass barrel bands.:D
Barrel Bands-3.jpg Barrel Bands-1.jpg Barrel Bands-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews