JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the latest In Range TV Q&A session, Karl was asked "Would it be beneficial for modern shooters to learn how to shoot a flintlock, matchlock, cap and ball, etc. type rifle?" His answer is:

For the front-stuffing aficionados, how would you answer the inquiry?

Personally for me I see no need. I also have no interest. To each their own though.

Seriously ....do ya gotta ask me...? :D

Muzzle loading firearms are fun to shoot and can be a link to the past , depending on the firearm and just how one loads and shoots with it.
I do know that they will work for both shooting matches...and hunting.
I have won more than a few contests and have gotten game both large and small with a muzzle loading firearm.

Muzzle loading takes a different mindset , than say shooting a modern firearm...
Not that one is better than other...I'm just saying different.

If you are at all interested in this type of shooting...
I'd be happy to pass on any wisdom that I have here...or at least add to the confusion.

Also please note that one does not need a whole lotta gear to shoot or maintain a muzzle loader , if one uses actual black powder in your shooting.
Andy

It's not a question I have ever had put before me, and i'm not really sure there is a right answer to it!
For my own part, As Andy pointed out, it takes a different mind set and a differing set of skills, it also offers a much slower pace and puts a lot more of your skills as a rifleman to the test! In that, I could see a benefit to learning such things as taking your time, really getting to know your rifle and loads, and learning to stalk more and get much closer then most are used to! Besides that, it's a whole lot of fun, its a connection to history, and in some ways I think its better! It's certainly not for everybody, but then it's not supposed to be! There was a time when front stuffing boom sticks were the only option, and they worked just fine then as todays arms do now! Besides, it's all about the Smoke and Fire!

Seriously ....do ya gotta ask me...? :D

Muzzle loading firearms are fun to shoot and can be a link to the past , depending on the firearm and just how one loads and shoots with it.
I do know that they will work for both shooting matches...and hunting.
I have won more than a few contests and have gotten game both large and small with a muzzle loading firearm.

Muzzle loading takes a different mindset , than say shooting a modern firearm...
Not that one is better than other...I'm just saying different.

If you are at all interested in this type of shooting...
I'd be happy to pass on any wisdom that I have here...or at least add to the confusion.

Also please note that one does not need a whole lotta gear to shoot or maintain a muzzle loader , if one uses actual black powder in your shooting.
Andy
Isn't there more time between hammer strike to bang on a muzzle loader? Point being that follow through is more critical with said arms?

Isn't there more time between hammer strike to bang on a muzzle loader? Point being that follow through is more critical with said arms?
Yes....and no.
A well timed , clean and properly vented flintlock with a sharp flint..will be quick...
As soon as it gets fouled and the flint dull....no so quick..

Percussion guns can be fast as well...I find that those guns with a leaf spring to be a bit faster and more reliable than those so called replicas made with a coil spring.
The notable exception to my disdain of a cap and ball gun with a coil spring is the Ruger Old Army revolver.

Matchlocks...well....they are slow...so you got me there... :D

My point of this ramble is that yes muzzle loaders are slow in many ways...but ...
That point is often exaggerated by those who don't have much experience with them...
And that just like with any firearm , once one learns how to shoot them...then one can shoot them better and faster , so to speak.
Andy

Depends on the weapons design, its type of ignition and the way it's tuned! I have seen flint locks that are every bit as quick as modern smoking sticks, and I have seen percussion arms that took elevendythree days for the ignition to make it's way to the powder! One of my Colts is so fast, it feels like a modern target rifle! Follow through is a good thing to learn regardless of firearm, as is recoil recovery, both can be learned with ether type, but would be of more need for the front stuffers!

Beneficial in what way? Learn to make your shots count? I think it's fun however I don't see it being any more or less beneficial to a modern shooter than a single shot .22. Maybe as a tool to correct flinch? Even an eighth second delay is enough to see one developing

Beneficial as in fun...can be a good very good thing.
Speaking only for myself...shooting has always been about fun*.
Fun should never be overlooked or underestimated.
Andy

*Expect for those times when I had to shoot , when it actually mattered , while deployed on combat tours...which may color my thinking a bit , in regards to shooting....

This pic says it all with regard to my position on muzzleloading - and It hasn't changed much!
Me with my first ML - a kit built .45 cal CVA percussion.

img20190823_20194939.jpg

Deer hunting with the '63 Springfield Zouave.
1918948_105041029509698_70020_n.jpg

Last Edited:
Unfortunately .....Any firearm can and will ( probably ) make it on someone's : " You can''t own this list ".

While not a true "You can't own this list " ....some states have already made it so traditional muzzle loaders must also go through a FFL to purchase.
Andy

First thing I thought of when I saw this. Long ago when Russia was trying their hand at Afghanistan. Article showed some of the fighters who were only armed with front suffer's. The story claimed that the guys had managed to bring down at least one of the (at the time) top of the line, super deadly choppers Russia had sent over there with the idea of wiping them out. Claimed the way they did it was these guys shot at the massive choppers with the front stuffer's trying to hit the tail rotor. That the soft lead would stick to the damn thing. That was all it took to set it to vibrating so bad it would soon fail. Anyone who knows how Choppers work knows what happens when you lose the tail rotor.
So again don't know if they really did this or not but the story made me want to hope maybe they really had. :D

Just my opinion, but I can't say it's something every gun owner needs or wants to learn. Does it hurt to learn the basics? No. But is it a necessity? No.
I own a ML, and I've competed in matches back 30 years ago when my gun club had them going on. But can't say it made me any better at shooting, or reloading for myself. It was fun, but unless somebody has an interest or is contemplating getting into ML weapons, I see no reason to learn about it.

I say No.
At least on a mechanical level. Any positive psychological aspirations might be difficult to garner a consensus.
Cool, fun, historical factors notwithstanding;
Better to learn to hand load.
Muzzle loaders are essentially a cartridge with a stock and hammer.
Either way, you still need a primer (or ignition), right amount of powder and a properly set projectile, (plus, pay attention).
If you can safely handload, you can figure out muzzle loaders should an emergency arise.

Ahhh....the wounds now thrust upon my shooters heart after reading the above two posts... :D
Just kidding ...Not everyone has to like muzzle loading firearms.

Wait...What did I just say...must be the heat...:D
Andy
( To be clear in case the point was missed....I say the above as humor...not as a jab or seriously )

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top