JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like that is the ticket versus getting media stuck inside the case from the lube and have to use the air compressor to blow out each case.
Thanks Bro!;)
You'll just have to figure out how to keep the neck dry. In my case I just roll the case bodys (like 5 at a time) in my hand with some unique lube (i don't see why you couldn't do the same with a lanolin mix) avoiding getting any on the neck. When I have a hundred or so lubed then I start dippin', tappin', and resizing. It works well that way on a turret press or progressive because the necks stay dry. Also don't get lube and grime buildup on the expander. I suppose it might work well on a single stage also because you don't have to clean the brass again in between sizing and loading assuming they don't need trimming.

BTW jim, if you have a single stage press. IIRC a JR2 like me, what i do for loading in large quantities is i will do it in stages. i will deprime and swage/bell case mouth(if needed) 500. put it away for a week or so. then i'll prime them all the next time im out.

if i dont get around to loading them the next time im out, i'll deprime and swage 500 or so then next time prime

and so on...

that way i have a ton of brass ready for powder and bullets. makes single stage SEEM like it doesnt take as long

I agree. Having a ton of brass prepped and ready to go is the best way. Stay on top of it, if you can.

You'll just have to figure out how to keep the neck dry. In my case I just roll the case bodys (like 5 at a time) in my hand with some unique lube (i don't see why you couldn't do the same with a lanolin mix) avoiding getting any on the neck. When I have a hundred or so lubed then I start dippin', tappin', and resizing. It works well that way on a turret press or progressive because the necks stay dry. Also don't get lube and grime buildup on the expander. I suppose it might work well on a single stage also because you don't have to clean the brass again in between sizing and loading assuming they don't need trimming.

I'm gonna give that a shot, i have a small container of the Lee powder for necks.
It stands to reason that wet necks are bad in the reloading world.:D

I'm gonna give that a shot, i have a small container of the Lee powder for necks.
It stands to reason that wet necks are bad in the reloading world.:D
Well all this stuff is trial and error until you find what works for you and you're happy with it. Everybody has somewhat different needs and means to the end product. I still think having Mrs. Student do all the brass fixin' is the most efficient use of my time. She remains unconvinced. Somehow she has the idea I should be remodeling the backyard.

Last Edited:
Well all this stuff is trial and error until you find what works for you and your happy with it. Everybody has somewhat different needs and means to the end product. I still think having Mrs. Student do all the brass fixin' is the most efficient use of my time. She remains unconvinced. Somehow she has the idea I should be remodeling the backyard.

Agreed, most of what I know about reloading was gleaned from this community. I just use what fits my rhythm. Trusting others on the net is risky but I don't have a problem relying on those here with many years of experience.;)
Experience=well that didn't work worth a bubblegum, then move on....:D:D:D

Agreed, most of what I know about reloading was gleaned from this community. I just use what fits my rhythm. Trusting others on the net is risky but I don't have a problem relying on those here with many years of experience.;)
Experience=well that didn't work worth a bubblegum, then move on....:D:D:D

You guys are lucky to have this wealth of knowledge here. I started handloading more than 20 years ago and my best friends were load manuals. Read through as many as I could get my hands on. Learning from books and on your own, as I did, makes you realize how many different ways you can get something done.

I agree. Having a ton of brass prepped and ready to go is the best way. Stay on top of it, if you can.

I just kept dumping range brass in a 5 gallon bucket & waited till I took @Mygrainman fishing & borrowed his Dillon Super Swage 600 to get them swaged all at one time. Thanks Brother!!!
Personally, I am in no hurry to get them ALL completed right this moment but have a great load that I want 500 loaded this month.;)

I changed to the lanolin/alchohol mix too last year & spray some in the mouths but I do not wet clean, just tumble in corncob media.
I did notice that after resizing I tumbled & when I was checking cases there was accumulations of media inside the case which prompting me to use my air compressor to blow out the excess media.
It was unsettling, maybe I should go to wet cleaning
I am going to let some of my ammo sit for a bit longer that I lubed the inside of the mouths with. Time will tell of any residual lanolin is going to cause issues.

The last batch I loaded using that method sat for one week, and fired and performed as accurately as any of the other.

I need to load up a bunch more myself.

You guys are lucky to have this wealth of knowledge here. I started handloading more than 20 years ago and my best friends were load manuals. Read through as many as I could get my hands on. Learning from books and on your own, as I did, makes you realize how many different ways you can get something done.
I started stuffing shotgun shells when I was 16 in the early 80's. Still no internet then, just a rotary phone and a lee shotshell guide:p. I don't remember why I called, but Richard Lee answered the phone. That guy was the real deal. He spent about an hour on the phone with me making sure I knew what I was doing. Left quite an impression on me.

I started stuffing shotgun shells when I was 16 in the early 80's. Still no internet then, just a rotary phone and a lee shotshell guide:p. I don't remember why I called, but Richard Lee answered the phone. That guy was the real deal. He spent about an hour on the phone with me making sure I knew what I was doing. Left quite an impression on me.
This is a good point to make right here.

Most of these big companies have ballisticians you can talk directly to. I have personally spent a large amount of time talking to Sierra and Berger in order to solve issues I was experiencing at the time. Great folks!

This is a good point to make right here.

Most of these big companies have ballisticians you can talk directly to. I have personally spent a large amount of time talking to Sierra and Berger in order to solve issues I was experiencing at the time. Great folks!

I surely wish I could partake in this but alas I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear s*** out the other.

Although I know there are web sites out there that translate speech into text, I've tried them and certain people just cannot take directions to either slow down or bring up their volume enough for the translation to be correct.
Very frustrating to say the least.

Exactly. Knowledge today is cheap. Pre-internet, acquiring knowledge was a lot more costly and time-consuming.

I had problems with the IMR3031 sticking in the mouth from the powder drop & spilling all over the bench. This was with the RCBS lube, not the lanolin mix....
That is why many people like the Hornady One Shot. It dries to the touch and you spray a small amount inside the case mouth. It can also be used on the expander ball and die every so often. It takes out the extra step of having to retumble or wash the cases and helps with seating bullets.

I have also heard good results with some of the graphite lube that isn't as messy. You might have to experiment with different types.

When I first started reloading in 1985, I knew absolutely nothing, just read the Lee manual and stuck with EXACTLY what they wrote to do.
Fast forward to 1999 when I start doing it again, and I still don't know squat, but there was a little bit of info on the internet which did help me learn about powder burn rates, suitability to calibers, etc.
Truth is, I still don't know squat, other than the knowledge that I don't know squat.

Well I decided I'm going to wait untill after I get the 8x12' reloading/gun build room finished this fall & have plenty of stuff to keep me busy during winter.;)

Thank you all for the advice & tips, I'll be reviewing said information here.:)

I have a couple of these rcbs 3 way heads that go in my case trimmer. They perform the trim and inside and outside chamfer in one operation. They are a bit spendy but I only use them for higher volume stuff like 223 and 308. They are also kind of a biotch to get set up the first time but once set I don't disturb them and they work great. With the paddle type case head holder and this three way cutter you can mow through some cases quickly.
39AAAF25-401B-4323-A41D-B815F2DF1467.jpeg

My case prep for crimped primer pocket 223 reloading ritual. I
1.Clean cases
2.SIze/decap on Dillon 550 Homemade Lanolin case lube
3. Dillon Swager. Primer Pocket Uni former is mandatory to prevent a 'High Primer'.:eek:
4.Trim with WFT. Leaves less to chamfer/debur than other trimmers I have used.
5.RCBS Prep center. Primer pocket brush, uniform primer pocket, Chamfer, and Debur
Skip the sizing stage and load on my 550. Weigh each powder charge for long range
stuff with RCBS chargemaster.:D
DSC00182.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews