JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bolus; Just look at fleaBay and you will see a number of them. Some are for display and some for the reenactors. I think even the current Thompson Co. is producing one that pretty much uses all their parts except for the barrel is either plugged or something. This really wouldn't be a big project; unfortunately!

thanks. So these are the types of replicas on ebay.

Replica Thompson M1928 Submachine Gun Non-Firing

So if this can be converted to full auto would that not make the receiver a functional receiver and therefore an FFL part? why would this guy buy a $300 replica, spend the time and money making somehow a functional gun, and then selling it for $400 to the ATF?

I'm seriously tempted to buy one just to take it a part

So if this can be converted to full auto would that not make the receiver a functional receiver and therefore an FFL part? why would this guy buy a $300 replica, spend the time and money making somehow a functional gun, and then selling it for $400 to the ATF?

I'm not saying that is what he used. I'm just saying that that type of thing IS out there and available to even a felon who isn't allowed to own firearms.

Many if not most of those replicas on Collectors Armory are made of Die Cast metal parts , like old fashioned toy guns... And genuine "tree wood" ....:D
They won't hold up to any use of actually firing...
Andy

Look at the IMA website, they are experts and have some good stuff. So does Hunter's Lodge but might just as well buy a parts kit.......you have to make a new receiver in any event. Most of the "replicas" have a cast pot metal receiver that can not be converted. SARCO used to sell Israeli m1919 kits in 308 for a couple of hundred bucks.

Look at the IMA website, they are experts and have some good stuff. So does Hunter's Lodge but might just as well buy a parts kit.......you have to make a new receiver in any event. Most of the "replicas" have a cast pot metal receiver that can not be converted. SARCO used to sell Israeli m1919 kits in 308 for a couple of hundred bucks.

what about barrels though? no way they have a barrel that is functional. its at least $200 for a barrel.

the whole "sold it for $400 to ATF" is clearly not worth the 10 years + in prison he is getting for $300 replica +$200 barrel and what ever scrap metal he made into internal parts and the receiver.

I dont really want to spend $300 on a replica thompson but IMA has a browning hi-power replica . I've taken my old one a part a bunch of times (since the British SAS never cleaned it apparently) so I think I'll order one.

I'm still skeptical he could make a functioning fully automatic firearm out of one of these replicas. That is unless the ATF busted him on something that looked like one but had no chance of not blowing up on the first shot.

F6B94B8D-21FB-4A04-8FAA-AEA289C01CA3.png
what about barrels though? no way they have a barrel that is functional. its at least $200 for a barrel.

the whole "sold it for $400 to ATF" is clearly not worth the 10 years + in prison he is getting for $300 replica +$200 barrel and what ever scrap metal he made into internal parts and the receiver.

I dont really want to spend $300 on a replica thompson but IMA has a browning hi-power replica . I've taken my old one a part a bunch of times (since the British SAS never cleaned it apparently) so I think I'll order one.

I'm still skeptical he could make a functioning fully automatic firearm out of one of these replicas. That is unless the ATF busted him on something that looked like one but had no chance of not blowing up on the first shot.
Barrels used to sell serviceable with the kits. Many today sell without barrels but a barrel is not a regulated part and can be bought any time by any one. The only regulated part is a functional receiver. Some kits come with torch cut receivers that a craftsman can weld back together. Then the only issue is if the gun is a full auto and unregisterable. A good kit for a Thompson is a couple of thousand dollars complete these days.......not long ago, they were 400.00. The less common guns can be cheeper or more expensive in some cases. Little Swedish SMG's used to sell for 100.00 and Sten gun's were cheeper than that. They were made shootable by taking steel tube and cutting out the pattern (that you were supplied with), a little welding and finishing.......you were shooting.....and legally if it was semi auto either without a butstock (a pistol) or with a 16" barrel (a rifle).........this has been going on for decades. Shotgun news was full of them for sale. This Sten kit with barrel is on Gun Broker right now for 375.00

Last Edited:
View attachment 481707
Barrels used to sell serviceable with the kits. Many today sell without barrels but a barrel is not a regulated part and can be bought any time by any one. The only regulated part is a functional receiver. Some kits come with torch cut receivers that a craftsman can weld back together. Then the only issue is if the gun is a full auto and unregisterable. A good kit for a Thompson is a couple of thousand dollars complete these days.......not long ago, they were 400.00. The less common guns can be cheeper or more expensive in some cases. Little Swedish SMG's used to sell for 100.00 and Sten gun's were cheeper than that. They were made shootable by taking steel tube and cutting out the pattern (that you were supplied with), a little welding and finishing.......you were shooting.....and legally if it was semi auto either without a butstock (a pistol) or with a 16" barrel (a rifle).........this has been going on for decades. Shotgun news was full of them for sale. This Sten kit with barrel is on Gun Broker right now for 375.00

But those are part kits from real firearms. I've built some part kits. the article was about a replica. I cant imagine a replica manufacturer would use a real usable firearm barrel in a replica that is never meant to fire.

I'm still trying to piece together what the article said he did. Converted a "replica" thompson to a full automatic machine gun that he sold to the ATF for $400. If he used a parts kit of a real firearm with a de-milled receiver, then totally understandable. Its the whole replica thing that does not make sense.

How do you start from a non-firing purpose build replica and go to a machine gun and plan to make a profit at a $400 price point.

Who knows just how long he had the replica Parts kit. I remember seeing kits going for next to nothing back in the '70s or maybe a friend just gave him the kit. So, he finally decides to put it together. This is another case of less than all the details. Maybe someone is selling 80% kits these days.:rolleyes:

But those are part kits from real firearms. I've built some part kits. the article was about a replica. I cant imagine a replica manufacturer would use a real usable firearm barrel in a replica that is never meant to fire.

I'm still trying to piece together what the article said he did. Converted a "replica" thompson to a full automatic machine gun that he sold to the ATF for $400. If he used a parts kit of a real firearm with a de-milled receiver, then totally understandable. Its the whole replica thing that does not make sense.

How do you start from a non-firing purpose build replica and go to a machine gun and plan to make a profit at a $400 price point.
First.......you know how accurate the news media is.......and some "replicas" are made from actual parts kits like the ones on IMA...... if criminals were smart, they wouldn't be criminals........maby he needed a fix?......and you have been sand bagging us Doc......_

Seeing open bolt full auto have been made with parts from hardware stores by some in the past it doesn't surprise me that was the route he went... Supposedly it's easier then semi auto in a lot of cases.

We will probably hear about people 3D printing them in a year or a few months and getting caught, August 1st is coming up pretty quick... End of gun control, I hear Cody even had a funeral for it... If anybody has pics I've only heard of it haven't seen the pics yet, please post.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top