JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
He looks like such a nice fellow too.
Police: Suspect scared grocery customers while waving gun holster like firearm in N. Portland Fred Meyer

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) - Dozens of Fred Meyer customers were left in a panic when it appeared a man was waving a gun at people near the entrance of the north Portland store Thursday afternoon.

Turns out, the suspect was allegedly holding a black gun holster out a like a firearm inside the store off North Interstate Avenue.

Officers said they got several 911 calls about a gunman, including one witness who reported the man had fired the gun inside the store. Officers said they never found evidence of gunfire and believe the customers mistook the holster for a gun.

"My whole life flashed before my eyes and all I could see was my babies," said Gail Williams-Brown, who said she was near the suspect when he started acting erratically. "I didn't even think. I just grabbed my daughter and tried to shield her."

Another customer, Carl Spurgeon said he was in the checkout line when he heard screaming.

"Someone screamed out, 'Go ahead and shoot me,' expletive," Spurgeon said. "And then someone shouted something about there being a gun… and then everyone went right down to the floor."

Spurgeon said he only stayed on the floor for a minute before making a run toward the door.

"It didn't take me long to decide I didn't want to be there to find out what was going to go on," Spurgeon said.

Williams-Brown said Fred Meyer employees ushered her and her daughter, as well as many others, into a back room before letting them out a door leading to the parking lot.

"I'm glad they took initiative and got everybody to safety," Williams-Brown said.

Police said witnesses provided officers with the last known location of the suspect. Officers found a man matching the suspect's description on the sidewalk near the Fred Meyer.

The man, identified as David M. Huntley, 46, was taken into custody without incident.

Police said they searched the area and located the gun holster.

Investigators believe the suspect held the black handgun holster as though it was a firearm.

Huntley was taken to jail on charges of menacing, second-degree disorderly conduct in the second-degree trespassing, and a probation violation for a previous conviction of possession of cocaine.

"It does shake you up a little bit, just to make you kind of realize that hey, you could be in the middle of this, just like you see it on a movie or on TV," Spurgeon said.

"My whole life flashed before my eyes...
daam, girl... drama much?

Here's the scenario: You're shopping and a nutty guy starts acting nutty. Fast forward a bit and now the nutty guy is in custody, nobody was injured, all is well. Question: How freakin' long do you have to wait for the "news" to show up so you can have your dopey quote recorded and saved for all of posterity?

So what if I pulled out a comb in the store and went pew pew pew.
OMG, hes got a comb, and he's pointing it, some might get split ends.

In other news........... man in store going in to ladies bathroom and
is given praise for being brave and making a choice.

This my friends is the new FUSA,

Here's the scenario: You're shopping and a nutty guy starts acting nutty. Fast forward a bit and now the nutty guy is in custody, nobody was injured, all is well. Question: How freakin' long do you have to wait for the "news" to show up so you can have your dopey quote recorded and saved for all of posterity?

Exactly! Her life flashed before her eyes because of the intense fear......so she sticks around.

Pretty much, that and pathetic sheeple all around.

He should have just pulled something else out, then they would allowed that kinda of activity.
Maybe even given him a 50.00 gift card.

I felt threatened by a bum aggressively pushing a baby stroller full of empty beer cans once because there's not a baby on earth that could drink that much beer without serious medical complications but I kept my cool.
just the way I roll

Exactly! Her life flashed before her eyes because of the intense fear......so she sticks around.

That was the part I loved. So scared yet they wait for the news to come so they can tell them all about it. Reminds me of when I was young and the Streaking thing was big. Guy jumps off the back of a motorcycle at front of a grocery store, nothing on but a bright orange full face helmet and sneakers. Runs through store, through produce department and out emergency exit back there. Lot's of older women are shopping and waited long enough for news to show to ask. Yes this did make local news back then :). NONE of the women seemed to notice the bright orange motorcycle helmet when offering descriptions of the perp. All of us had a pretty good laugh at that one.

:s0112:

This whole article just shows how much people lack in education on the subject of guns.
This sadly is not new either. Several decades back I was in AZ for a good while. When here in WA I had a permit. AZ could never get CC passed. The excuse was open carry was legal. Problem was I had, had women literally scream when they saw the gun on my belt in a store. I would turn to see what they screamed at and it was me. They were looking at that gun that they were just sure would jump off my belt and attack at any second. Several times a manager would show and ask me to leave and not carry in their place. I finally just took to concealed carry illegally as it was such a PITA.

Thanks to @Reno911 all I see on the news anymore is NPC.
LOL...I love the new characterization of NPC.
An example my wife and I laugh about is in the game FarCry-4 where as one assaults a fortress, the enemy yells out "enemy detected", then "searching" then "leave no stone un-turned" then a split second later..."he's gone"....lol

They say the same thing over and over, cannot reason or even interact. They only say what they are programmed to say :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews