JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...and illegally converting it in to a short barreled rifle.

If that turns out to be the case then yeah he took his chances and violated the law... and the law is the law even if it's arbitrary and kinda dumb.
On the other hand I've already pointed out that UZI's came with plugged short "display" barrels and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the cops missed that in their eagerness to file charges.

If that turns out to be the case then yeah he took his chances and violated the law... and the law is the law even if it's arbitrary and kinda dumb.
On the other hand I've already pointed out that UZI's came with plugged short "display" barrels and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the cops missed that in their eagerness to file charges.
Oh! That would be awesome! Unfortunately, if that's the case, we will never know, because, that is not "news". :(

Just to add to the options, and I don't have answers for most of these questions.
If the dummy/display barrel is attached, is it still a rifle if it lacks the ability to launch bullets?
In other words, at what point do the components of a rifle constitute a rifle?
Is a rifle barrel a rifle?
Is a stripped lower reciever a rifle? (leaving out the purchase definition, just the concealment angle please)
And so on, barreled action/stock/stock with reciever/reciever with stock but without trigger group?
If a stripped AR lower is a rifle for the BATF, would carrying one openly in Portland w/o a CHL violate the law? Or carrying it concealed?

OBTW, I had a buddy with one of these a few decades back, he had a short aluminum display barrel that came with it along with the shooting 16 in barrel, and it was lot of fun to shoot. And he bought it in California of all places.

Just to add to the options, and I don't have answers for most of these questions.
If the dummy/display barrel is attached, is it still a rifle if it lacks the ability to launch bullets?
In other words, at what point do the components of a rifle constitute a rifle?
Is a rifle barrel a rifle?
Is a stripped lower reciever a rifle? (leaving out the purchase definition, just the concealment angle please)
And so on, barreled action/stock/stock with reciever/reciever with stock but without trigger group?
If a stripped AR lower is a rifle for the BATF, would carrying one openly in Portland w/o a CHL violate the law? Or carrying it concealed?

OBTW, I had a buddy with one of these a few decades back, he had a short aluminum display barrel that came with it along with the shooting 16 in barrel, and it was lot of fun to shoot. And he bought it in California of all places.

^ This is the problem with many gun control laws, you end up with a lot of dotting of i's and crossing of t's and yet criminal intent is absent. Think about this, if the UZI was in a gun case would it have been visibly concealed and/or legally concealed? What about a cardboard box? Gym bag? Carried under a folded jacket? Carried under a worn jacket? It really seems kind of silly when you drop the law stuff and just look at it plainly.

I think I'm detecting some racial bias here... "homeboys"? Do you have some inside info that this guy is a thug? I'm just assuming the best here and you seem to be assuming the worst. From the article we really don't know anything about this guy. Maybe he's a no good gang banger thug without a record... or maybe he's a doctor or a veteran just back from the sand box... we don't know, lets not jump to conclusions.

I had an UZI model B some years ago. It was a heavy 9mm carbine with a long, creepy trigger. It was reasonably accurate for what it was. I sold it because it wasn't much shorter than a M4 style AR and offered a good deal less firepower. Yeah it was kind of a fun conversation piece to show off to my gun nut buddies... oh well, I don't see where the gun itself is an issue (except for the barrel length question)... if you don't like UZI's or black guns in general then don't buy one.

I'm glad that you are discreet with your carry and show and tell, that is great. I usually think things through as well and keep gun transport or carry low profile and legal in public. It's good common sense because we all know that the general public is full of gun-fearers who will call the cops if they even catch a glimpse of such an evil contraption. Now strolling across a public street with an exposed, unloaded rifle is quite legal in most cases but we all know the attention that will likely bring. Anyhow it appears that this guy made a bad call regarding when, where and how in showing off his gun. I don't think that should be a life sentence if his intentions weren't criminal. I've done a dumb thing or two in my life and I'm sure you have too.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just saying lets not jump to worst case conclusions when we don't have all the facts.

No racial bias here at all. That is general American slang, I don't care what color the dude is, what he did was flat stupid, and he deserved to get popped. No matter what his background is, carrying that gun concealed with out even a CHL was dumb, carrying it into a barber shop seems a bit over the top, and not thinking the whole thing through is even dumber.

Incidents like this allow the media to further the notion of crazy gun carrying people being involved in illegal activities. The sooner these criminals, (when convicted) are dealt with the better. I certainly don't advocate a life sentence or some of the other punishments advocated on here by others, but dude really needs to think things through. I took and take the time to be trained and educated about concealed carry, and I expect others to do the same regardless of their race, religion or any of the other labels society puts on all of us.

The fact that you say you think things through is an example of what people should do in this oh so sensitive world we live in. I the dude had just though to himself, " Is it really needed, or do I have a compelling reason to take this Uzi to the barber shop with me to show my "peeps" there ? If so, then maybe a suitable case would be a better choice than under the coat. Just saying.

I'm betting that it has the dummy barrel too - That's how the IMI was sold - with a dummy barrel and a regular 16" barrel. The dummy barrel is solid and non functioning.

Does no one else find the entire incident awkward? I'm not usually one to believe all the weird conspiracies but, his sure seems odd and convenient on the day people are testifying about how easy it is to convert legal firearms in to illegal versions.

I too am not one for conspiracy theories, but in a town like Portland anything is possible. I do think this guy is a dumbass. If he wanted SBR then he should have purchased the tax stamp instead of adding the shorter barrel to the gun, regardless of whether or not it is a display barrel or not. If he wanted to show it to a friend then buy an FN gun case if you are not wanting to freak people out. This guy used poor judgement many times and should lose his right to own a gun.

Not a felon,(yet) but a dirt bag. That piece of sh*t Uzi is one of the last guns I would ever own. More of a bragging thing to show his homeboys in the barber shop what he had. He cold not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. For a self defense concealed carry, not even close.....

Actually, I love my semi-auto Uzi, and would love to SBR it. Not as practical as my Noveske, but still a fun, accurate, reliable weapon.

Don't you just love the NFA, the "Short barreled" nonsense makes little sense in a place without significant restrictions on handguns over rifles.
From the sounds of it to me, it would have (with proper respect shown, NEVER underestimate the on-scene power of law enforcement, butt-kiss like your life depends on it) been over with a conversation without the hacksaw job "Great job *trying* not to freak people out by keeping your weapon covered on your way to show your buddy, buy a case and you won't waste either of our time again" if it wasn't for the lack of knowledge of the law. Going on assumption, but it'd be an easy mistake to make, "you can buy uzi 9mm pistol, you can buy uzi 9mm rifle, same thing right?"

Anyways, I'm more unhappy with the law than I am with someone too dumb to read it, I'll save my bile for guys who get DUI's or hurt people. Just my point of view, though, guy still screwed up at the wrong time, last thing we need is more firearms in the news.

** forgive the formatting nightmare on the post, you get the point

I love my model B Uzi, way more accurate than most would believe. His poor "show and tell" session was ill conceived sure, but its my bet that is was the factory "display" bbl.

Yes, but perform a harmless, dumb act or make a mistake with a firearm such as cutting the barrel to 15.99" and prepare to have your life destroyed.

Yep, this is the problem with a great many gun laws. Enforcement of the letter of the law is used to create criminals where no criminal intent is present. Seems like a waste of criminal justice resources if you ask me. How about we use those resources against real criminals instead?

How about this scenario: You find a used handgun you've always wanted at your local gun shop and make an impulse buy, the gun doesn't have a case but you don't care because you have extras at home. You are all excited about your find and can't resist stopping by your gun enthusiasts buddy's auto repair business on the way home to show it off. The lot is full when you arrive so you park across the street. Pedestrians are milling about and not wanting to cause a scare you stuff your new, unloaded pistol in your jacket pocket before you walk over. Unbeknownst to you the grip slips out of your pocket and becomes visible to a bystander as you cross, the bystander freaks out and calls the cops on his cell phone. The cops show up on the man with gun in pocket call and observe your buddy's business for a while, they don't notice anything suspicious going on. You finish your show and tell session and walk back out to your car, gun in pocket again to avoid causing a scare. All of a sudden you are swarmed by police with guns drawn. You and your buddy are interviewed and your story checks out.
Is justice and the public interest best served by you being booked and carted off to jail on a concealed weapons charge?
Or is justice and the public interest best served by a lecture from the police on transporting weapons in public?
I'm going to go with common sense and option 2.

Does no one else find the entire incident awkward? I'm not usually one to believe all the weird conspiracies but, his sure seems odd and convenient on the day people are testifying about how easy it is to convert legal firearms in to illegal versions.
Im thinking portland police is utilizing the same device as new york that can see any gun under your clothes. Pretty sad when the public comes before what is'private'

Don't you just love the NFA, the "Short barreled" nonsense makes little sense in a place without significant restrictions on handguns over rifles.

I find the whole NFA SBR thing to be silly. Is a 12in AR really any different than a 16in AR in terms of lethality and conceal-ability? Not much... 4in longer trench-coat required. If a crooks intent is murder does he care that the law prohibits putting a stock on a AR pistol.... nope. Does that same crook care about laws prohibiting putting an AR pistol upper on a rifle lower.... nope. Does ATF prohibiting adding a vertical fore-grip to an AR pistol make the public safer.... nope. Would a crook care.... nope.

I hit a golf ball at 50 yards with SBR Uzi from my hip.... With my 32 rounds, the golf ball bounce so far we all have to go look for it. It was dang accurate :)

The original call was dispatched as "a man with a machine gun in his coat pocket in the barber shop."
The arriving officers were contacted by the witness/caller who described the man and seeing him put an "uzi" in his jacket pocket and walk into the barber shop after leaving his parked car.
The officers contacted the man and the uzi was ultimaitely located visible in the backseat of the mans car along with the factory case.
The man had recently purchased the uzi and had also purchased a short barrel along with it (it was not the dummy barrel). He was informed at the time of the purchase concerning NFA laws and not assembling the short barrel to the frame without the proper paperwork.
The man chose to remove the factory 16 inch barrel and install the short barrel. He then took it into the barber shop.

thats what happend.

Not a felon,(yet) but a dirt bag. That piece of sh*t Uzi is one of the last guns I would ever own. More of a bragging thing to show his homeboys in the barber shop what he had. He cold not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. .

Yeah, I had trouble hitting the "broad side of a barn" mostly because of the guy standing in front of said barn.
I really wish he would have moved:s0109:
Uzi target.jpg

Uzi target.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR