JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oh, man, we don't need this kind of crap!

Portland police Tuesday arrested a 30-year-old man accused of walking into a Northeast Portland barber shop this morning, concealing an Uzi in his jacket.
12191746-large.jpg
Several witnesses reported to police at 10:16 a.m. they had seen a man walk into the barber shop near Northeast Alberta Street and 12th Avenue.

Officers who responded covertly watched the shop.

"It was business as usual at the barber shop. People were coming and going, so it didn't appear to be a robbery,'' said Sgt. Pete Simpson, police spokesman.
12191756-small.jpg
Instead, the man left the barber shop and got into a vehicle, and officers stopped it without incident.

MCSO Officers from the Gun Task Force and Gang Enforcement Team responded and found the firearm, an Uzi 9mm caliber rifle, on the back seat of the vehicle.
The rifle was not loaded and police did not find any ammunition. Investigators learned that the owner, who had legally purchased the firearm, had concealed it in his coat to show to a friend.

Ryan Presley was arrested and accused of unlawful possession of a firearm for allegedly concealing the unloaded rifle, and unlawful possession of a short-barreled firearm.

Police did find the longer barrel in the vehicle, but it was not attached to the Uzi, Simpson said.

Presley would not have been charged with a crime had the longer barrel been attached to the unloaded rifle, and had he not concealed it under his coat, Simpson said.

Oh, man, we don't need this kind of crap!

This will have no affect on the legal gun owner. Some dirt bag with a piece of crap firearm like that gets himself popped for carrying concealed with out a license. Good riddance to him.

Idiots like that need to be drummed out of the legal gun owning pool anyway.

I thought you could not own the means to a short barreled rifle without the tax stamp.

For instance if you own an AR lower I thought you could not be in possession of a short barreled upper because it was 'intent to construct' or something like that.

Am I wrong?

Criminals don't care. This guy is the poster child for stupid.

If this was a registered NFA item and this guy was the owner, than it would be a problem for legal gun owners (concealing a loaded rifle).

All the tens of thousands of NFA items out there and -0- crimes with them (well, maybe one, a cop no less). But the thugs will be coming after them also eventually.

I thought you could not own the means to a short barreled rifle without the tax stamp.

For instance if you own an AR lower I thought you could not be in possession of a short barreled upper because it was 'intent to construct' or something like that.

Am I wrong?

Its been posted before and you can find the ATF letters in a google search that you can own a ar-15 rifle and pistol and any variation but you're not supposed to mate the upper pistol to a rifle lower.

This guy is an idiot. No doubt about it. I hope it turns out he is a gang member or someone with a long rap sheet. 'cause if not, gun grabbers could use this guy's stupidity to fuel their agenda engine.

The herd will get 3 perhaps 4 words or phrases.
1. UZI
2. Concealed
3. Arrested
4. The photo shows a slightly mean looking, large, gentleman!

Oh! What to do, What to do? Call the Shepards, Call the Shepards! They'll save us! Er.... I've heard that the Shepards will fleece us and kill us for meat! Ooooooh! How dare you tell us that, we don't want to hear your lies! Besides Obaaaaaaama will protect us!

PS: I said slightly mean looking. If I was being booked I would look a lot meaner than that!

Last Edited:
I think some of you guys are jumping the gun. The article states that he legally purchased the gun so it's quite possible he's not a dirt bag felon. I'm sure a few of you have made use of improvised/hasty concealment in order to show a friend your latest firearms acquisition without ending up surround by a SWAT team. In this case his concealment effort failed, okay, he made a bad decision there and ended up accomplishing the opposite. I also wouldn't be too surprised if we find out later that the short barrel is a dummy i.e. display barrel - they were common accessories with UZI's. If it is a real short barrel then he made a bad decision regarding kind of a stupid law... yeah I think a lot of the NFA stuff is kinda silly. Bad press we don't need right now? Yes for sure.

The article states that he legally purchased the gun so it's quite possible he's not a dirt bag felon. I'm sure a few of you have made use of improvised/hasty concealment in order to show a friend your latest firearms acquisition without ending up surround by a SWAT team. In this case his concealment effort failed, okay, he made a bad decision there and ended up accomplishing the opposite.

Not a felon,(yet) but a dirt bag. That piece of sh*t Uzi is one of the last guns I would ever own. More of a bragging thing to show his homeboys in the barber shop what he had. He cold not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. For a self defense concealed carry, not even close.

As for hasty concealment to show a friend my latest, not really. Proper concealed carry is just that. Properly concealed and only displayed when appropriate and in the right company. A lot of people I know have no idea I carry every day. A lot do. Showing each other our steel is something reserved for a closed door room or a gun range. Parking lots of barber shops or other public place, bad idea and it you get caught it is one less responsible concealed carry around.

Does no one else find the entire incident awkward? I'm not usually one to believe all the weird conspiracies but, his sure seems odd and convenient on the day people are testifying about how easy it is to convert legal firearms in to illegal versions.

Not a felon,(yet) but a dirt bag. That piece of sh*t Uzi is one of the last guns I would ever own. More of a bragging thing to show his homeboys in the barber shop what he had. He cold not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing. For a self defense concealed carry, not even close.

As for hasty concealment to show a friend my latest, not really. Proper concealed carry is just that. Properly concealed and only displayed when appropriate and in the right company. A lot of people I know have no idea I carry every day. A lot do. Showing each other our steel is something reserved for a closed door room or a gun range. Parking lots of barber shops or other public place, bad idea and it you get caught it is one less responsible concealed carry around.

I think I'm detecting some racial bias here... "homeboys"? Do you have some inside info that this guy is a thug? I'm just assuming the best here and you seem to be assuming the worst. From the article we really don't know anything about this guy. Maybe he's a no good gang banger thug without a record... or maybe he's a doctor or a veteran just back from the sand box... we don't know, lets not jump to conclusions.

I had an UZI model B some years ago. It was a heavy 9mm carbine with a long, creepy trigger. It was reasonably accurate for what it was. I sold it because it wasn't much shorter than a M4 style AR and offered a good deal less firepower. Yeah it was kind of a fun conversation piece to show off to my gun nut buddies... oh well, I don't see where the gun itself is an issue (except for the barrel length question)... if you don't like UZI's or black guns in general then don't buy one.

I'm glad that you are discreet with your carry and show and tell, that is great. I usually think things through as well and keep gun transport or carry low profile and legal in public. It's good common sense because we all know that the general public is full of gun-fearers who will call the cops if they even catch a glimpse of such an evil contraption. Now strolling across a public street with an exposed, unloaded rifle is quite legal in most cases but we all know the attention that will likely bring. Anyhow it appears that this guy made a bad call regarding when, where and how in showing off his gun. I don't think that should be a life sentence if his intentions weren't criminal. I've done a dumb thing or two in my life and I'm sure you have too.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just saying lets not jump to worst case conclusions when we don't have all the facts.

I think I'm detecting some racial bias here... "homeboys"? Do you have some inside info that this guy is a thug? I'm just assuming the best here and you seem to be assuming the worst. From the article we really don't know anything about this guy. Maybe he's a no good gang banger thug without a record... or maybe he's a doctor or a veteran just back from the sand box... we don't know, lets not jump to conclusions.

I had an UZI model B some years ago. It was a heavy 9mm carbine with a long, creepy trigger. It was reasonably accurate for what it was. I sold it because it wasn't much shorter than a M4 style AR and offered a good deal less firepower. Yeah it was kind of a fun conversation piece to show off to my gun nut buddies... oh well, I don't see where the gun itself is an issue (except for the barrel length question)... if you don't like UZI's or black guns in general then don't buy one.

I'm glad that you are discreet with your carry and show and tell, that is great. I usually think things through as well and keep gun transport or carry low profile and legal in public. It's good common sense because we all know that the general public is full of gun-fearers who will call the cops if they even catch a glimpse of such an evil contraption. Now strolling across a public street with an exposed, unloaded rifle is quite legal in most cases but we all know the attention that will likely bring. Anyhow it appears that this guy made a bad call regarding when, where and how in showing off his gun. I don't think that should be a life sentence if his intentions weren't criminal. I've done a dumb thing or two in my life and I'm sure you have too.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just saying lets not jump to worst case conclusions when we don't have all the facts.

...and illegally converting it in to a short barreled rifle.

... and conceal carrying a rifle? You can't even legally conceal a rifle with a CHL!

I am not going to jump into any conclusions about this feller's character. Like slingshot said, no ammo, no ill intent. Just a dumb act.

I simply do not like the timing (our bad luck) and the yellow press coverage of the incident. Uzis are in madame F's ban list. Probably because it is allegedly "sooooo" easy to convert them into full auto, any idiot can do it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top