Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Major North American earthquake coming?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by matt_w, Mar 16, 2011.

1. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

2. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

here we go

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone can actually predict a date for a quake, but the recent and devastating Indonesian and Japanese quakes surely should be noted

4. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

What got my attention was the recent mass fish kills in coastal California - might be something to it.

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Bye Bye Cali, Arizona gonna have a new beach!

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Sounds like the first Superman movie! Maybe 'Ol Lex Luther was onto something

7. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

Heard something about this on a radio show earlier today.

8. mxitman

mxitman N. Seattle Member

As always if you live on near the ring of fire your going to have earthquakes...maybe not today or tomorrow but one day...BAM the big one..wait 500 years..BAM another big one... It's just like living in the desert it maybe hot and dry most days but eventually it will rain...maybe not allot but one day it will pour.

9. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Otisburg?

10. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Well if it is on Fox it MUST be true..... The fact that we are overdue for a massive quake on the West Coast is not news. The geologist speaking has been pretty amazing in his predictions, and whether it is luck or skill is up for debate. I think the adjustments around the plate are something to watch and they are correct in that there is only one region still hanging up. If the Cascadia Subduction Zone lets go all the prep in the world won't be of much use for anyone on the coast or in the Puget Sound area. Fingers crossed.

11. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

Berkland is no dummy for sure. People often deride him and/or misquote him. His "windows" for potential quakes are worth paying attention to.

12. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Whats next is the sky falling too I'm sure someone on U-Tube thinks so.

13. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

Figuring the tectonic plates moving around so much over there means they are stressing others, and knowing we are in a seismic region I called to see what coverage I have for earthquake-none.

She said it normally doubles annual rates, for structure and contents. :O

I asked her for a quote on structure.

14. EZLivin

Not sure I get the connection between Berkland and U-Tube/falling sky? Berkland is a geologist who has studied earthquakes for many years, and has theories/ideas relating to periods of time for significantly increased chances of quakes in specific areas. I'm glad we have people who think outside the box; they are responsible for just about every significant society-changing idea/invention that comes along.

15. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Time to get earthquake insurance...like NOW. Anyone have any recommendations?

16. nubus

nubus Guest

Learn to swim...

17. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

Did you ask your insurance agent?

18. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

well, I live in the Cascadia subduction zone, within 100 miles of four large volcanoes. I don't poo-poo any geologist that says an earthquake is coming. of course they are. It's not a matter of if, but when. Anyone who lives here knows that. The key is that I try to be ready. I have enough livestock and small critters that I can feed myself and family for a while when the roads crap out...it might not happen in my life time, but it WILL happen.

19. safooma

safooma Oregon Member

20. EZLivin

I'm pretty sure most insurance companies will not write earthquake coverage in the Pacific Northwest anymore. Can any agents on the board verify that?