JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All,

Im having a rifle built over the next 6 months or so with the following components:

Action: Defiance Deviant Tactical Magnum
Barrel: Kreiger M24 1-10" 27" blank cut to either 22" or 24"
Stock: McMillan A5 with all the goodies
Bottom Metal: Badger M5
Trigger: Timney Calvin Elite 2 Stage

I cannot decided between the 300 Rem Ultra Mag and the 300 Win Mag. The RUM has decently higher velocities but at the cost of about ~10 grains of powder according to my reloading manuals. Began looking at the RUM due to the Win Mag case belts, but I can live with that.

Also, my smith recommends 22" barrel length but I was still leaning towards 24". Any opinions here on these topics?

Thanks

Last Edited:
I have lived with 300 win mag for 23 years now hunting.

Still..........Forgo the belted magnum.
For it will cause much angst loading into a magazine. ;)

Ha, yea I was most concerned with the belt for case stretch/reloading longevity. But from what I read 300 Rum is hard enough of the cases to actually see fewer reloads per.

Hey All,

Im having a rifle built over the next 6 months or so with the following components:

Action: Defiance Deviant Tactical Magnum
Barrel: Kreiger M24 1-10" 27" blank cut to either 22" or 24"
Stock: McMillan A5 with all the goodies
Bottom Metal: Badger M5
Trigger: Timney 510

I cannot decided between the 300 Rem Ultra Mag and the 300 Win Mag. The RUM has decently higher velocities but at the cost of about ~10 grains of powder according to my reloading manuals. Began looking at the RUM due to the Win Mag case belts, but I can live with that.

Also, my smith recommends 22" barrel length but I was still leaning towards 24". Any opinions here on these topics?

Thanks
Looks like you are headed more for the 300 Win mag with the shorter barrels.
For a big magnum, I'd want a 26" barrel.

OTOH, 30's based on .404 Jeffery are quite impressive.
A friend's 300 RUM makes my 300 Roy look undernourished.

As to barrel length.

The combination of twist rate and velocity [Barrel length dependent] will give you a certain bullet RPM.
Will the given RPM work for your desired projectile and load?

Not talking about extreams like over or under stabilizing the bullet.
I'm talking about optimal stabilization.

Choices, choices, choices.

There's no way in hell I'd stuff a case with that much powder capacity in a barrel that short.
That's just asking for more muzzle blast and flash than one can handle. Or limited performance.

If you want a .30 cal and a 22" barrel, stick with the .308 or the '0-6. and leave the boomers for the 26" guys. Maybe a .300WSM?

Shorter barrels scream for faster powders. Faster powders scream for lighter bullets.
But there's no way to stuff that much of a fast powder in that large of a casing and not exceed safe pressures.
Large cases like slower powders and hence longer barrels. You can still shoot lighter bullets if you want though.
I had a 30-338WM with a 25" barrel that would push 165gr SPBT 3300+, and that was fun, but the gun came into it's own with 180-200gr class bullets at @3kFPS.
Groups settled down and became REAL consistent, and it would shoot better than I could at 500+ yds.

There's no way in hell I'd stuff a case with that much powder capacity in a barrel that short.
That's just asking for more muzzle blast and flash than one can handle. Or limited performance.

If you want a .30 cal and a 22" barrel, stick with the .308 or the '0-6. and leave the boomers for the 26" guys. Maybe a .300WSM?

Shorter barrels scream for faster powders. Faster powders scream for lighter bullets.
But there's no way to stuff that much of a fast powder in that large of a casing and not exceed safe pressures.
Large cases like slower powders and hence longer barrels. You can still shoot lighter bullets if you want though.
I had a 30-338WM with a 25" barrel that would push 165gr SPBT 3300+, and that was fun, but the gun came into it's own with 180-200gr class bullets at @3kFPS.
Groups settled down and became REAL consistent, and it would shoot better than I could at 500+ yds.

Ive seen his guns with barrels in the 22-24" cuts shoot exceedingly well out to 1400 meters. So i guess people can handle it. Ill likely have it cut to 24". You do know the Barrett m82a1 is barreled in 20" and 29" right..with about 4x the powder a 300wm has.

Why not go with a newer belt-less, like the 300 Norma Magnum (not to be confused with the 308 Norma Magnum) or 30 Nosler?

maybe a 30 Nosler, the 300 Norma mag uses the Lapua bolt face i believe and Ive already gone a route where that bolt face is no longer an option.

Last Edited:
Ive seen his guns with barrels in the 22-24" cuts shoot exceedingly well out to 1400 meters. So i guess people can handle it. Ill likely have it cut to 24". You do know the Barrett m82a1 is barreled in 20" and 29" right..with about 4x the powder a 300wm has.
And did you know a barrel with a .500 bore has 2.635 TIMES as much volume for the charge to expand into than a barrel with a .308 bore, for the same length?

Look, do whatever you like. Your money, your gun. I have no problem with shorter and therefore stiffer barrels.
But cases with large and long powder columns like longer barrels due to capacity/burn rate ratio. Not that they can't be accurate, but they tend to be rather unpleasant to shoot. This is purely physics, and the muzzle blast that comes with it.
In a hunting/fun rifle, an argument can be made for longer or shorter, but the cartridge has to be considered.
I have a friend that dumped 2k into a custom 7MM STW. Nice gun, but it sacrifices velocity over almost all published velocities due to the 24" barrel he decided on.
And he can't stand to shoot it for more than about 5 rounds. It's downright obnoxious.

YMMV

Have a nice day.

In a hunting/fun rifle, an argument can be made for longer or shorter, but the cartridge has to be considered.
I have a friend that dumped 2k into a custom 7MM STW. Nice gun, but it sacrifices velocity over almost all published velocities due to the 24" barrel he decided on.
And he can't stand to shoot it for more than about 5 rounds. It's downright obnoxious.

I'll think about it.

I'll think about it.
I'm not saying you can't or you shouldn't.
Your money, your gun.

But you can always make a barrel shorter.
Longer, not so much.

If you're dead-set on magnum with a <24" bbl, I would seriously consider the .300WSM.
It's a respectable round. More than an '06, but not quite a .300WM.
Or, if you're willing to wildcat, go with the .30-.338.

I'm not saying you can't or you shouldn't.
Your money, your gun.

But you can always make a barrel shorter.
Longer, not so much.

If you're dead-set on magnum with a <24" bbl, I would seriously consider the .300WSM.
It's a respectable round. More than an '06, but not quite a .300WM.
Or, if you're willing to wildcat, go with the .30-.338.

So are you recommending 26 or are you trying to say 28" +

Threads a bit old now but figured id update what i ended up doing.

Defiance Tactical LA - 300 Win Mag
Krieger M24 1-10" 26" barrel w/ Surefire QD brake
Ranier Arms Orias chassis w/ Magpul Gen3
Timney 510 - 1 lb 8 oz.
Leupold Mark 4 rings
Leupold VX-3 LR 30mm 8.5x25x50

, MVIMG_20180131_093519.jpg MVIMG_20180131_093537.jpg
MVIMG_20180131_093621.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show