JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up a 1974 Polish P-64 today.
Shot fine (actually it was too snappy) but function was 100% with some old Rooski 9x18 copperwashed.
Was playing with the safety/decocker and have understood that the slide will cycle with it engaged. The slide does cycle with the safety engaged, but the pistol won't go into battery. No amount of pushing will put it into battery, in fact the decocker won't go into the fire position unless the slide is retracted some.
When in the fire position, the pistol fires normally, and locks back when empty as expected.
Is this normal, or do I have a somewhat broken pistol?
Please see photos attached.

20231110_152557.jpg 20231110_152534.jpg

Picked up a 1974 Polish P-64 today.
Shot fine (actually it was too snappy) but function was 100% with some old Rooski 9x18 copperwashed.
Was playing with the safety/decocker and have understood that the slide will cycle with it engaged. The slide does cycle with the safety engaged, but the pistol won't go into battery. No amount of pushing will put it into battery, in fact the decocker won't go into the fire position unless the slide is retracted some.
When in the fire position, the pistol fires normally, and locks back when empty as expected.
Is this normal, or do I have a somewhat broken pistol?
Please see photos attached.

View attachment 1759944 View attachment 1759945
It sounds fine. Just a guess though

My old Sig P230 works somewhat like that way too. The decocker works when the gun is cocked. If fired, and the hammer is down, it will not spring return to the fire position until you move it with your thumb or fully cycle the slide..

Hummmm.......for me......

If I were going to "play" with it. I'd remove the magazine and pull the slide back to check if there was anything in the chamber.

The safety IMHO.....only needs to go "on or off" when the slide is/was fully closed and in battery (either loaded or unloaded).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....(IF and WHEN there is doubt) IMHO, as for a REAL function TESTING (of the SAFETY or MAGAZINE DISCONNECT). LOL....that's probably best done at a range (with live ammo).

And of course.....(for me) the criteria could/might be a bit different. IF, it were a hammer fired firearm vs striker fired.

Last Edited:
Took it back to the hills along with a Bersa 380 to compare the recoil.
Turns out the Bersa's safety/decocker does the same thing (slide won't go into battery when it's used and cycled while 'on'.)
Got home and tested all my pistols with a decocker. Browning BDA was the same. But not a Sig 230.
Guess it's a just a slide decocker thing, as the Sig has a frame decocker.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top