JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think they sort of bullied her into opening the safe she had them stored in, if I read that right.
From the article,
(The request that the student, Leyla Pirnie, move out came after her roommates searched her room while she was not home and found her firearms.)

That part right there tells me even more she should have been far more careful. That her roomies where pawing through her stuff while she was not home tells me a LOT about the low life's she was sharing a home with. I can easily see this type finding the gun then not saying anything to her. Rather telling every one of their friends about how their roomie has a gun. Then others would either want to see it and or come over to steal it. I hope she invests in a safe for her next move.

While I admit the storing of weapons wasn't the greatest. The fact that people decided to raid a room simply because she owned a MAGA hat is simply disgusting. Imagine if in lieu of MAGA hat it was the US flag or the gadsden flag or anything right of center related. One of them admitted that they were afraid the gun "might go off on its own". Fear and Ignorance lead to paranoia based off media sensationalism. They all lied about it too so obviously this was an organized effort by the roommates. Now imagine if the Red Flag law was in effect here...

Inb4 future landlords start making it a point not to rent/sell to 2A supporters/gun owners. Wonder if we could get some sort of special protection like minorities did with landlords refusing to rent/sell to them back in the day in certain parts of the nation.

While I admit the storing of weapons wasn't the greatest. The fact that people decided to raid a room simply because she owned a MAGA hat is simply disgusting. Imagine if in lieu of MAGA hat it was the US flag or the gadsden flag or anything right of center related. One of them admitted that they were afraid the gun "might go off on its own". Fear and Ignorance lead to paranoia based off media sensationalism. They all lied about it too so obviously this was an organized effort by the roommates. Now imagine if the Red Flag law was in effect here...

Inb4 future landlords start making it a point not to rent/sell to 2A supporters/gun owners. Wonder if we could get some sort of special protection like minorities did with landlords refusing to rent/sell to them back in the day in certain parts of the nation.
Yes it shows the VERY low caliber of the people she chose to live with. It made it sound like they all were in on deciding it was totally fine for them to paw through all her stuff. As with all liberals I would bet NOT a ONE of them would have been fine with finding out the others had done the same to them. No doubt they would be screaming to have others kicked out if they found they had violated their privacy.
As for court protection for gun owners? Would be nice but is not going to happen. The exact opposite is what is happening. The reason like all this is gun owners. Gun owners support either directly or indirectly liberal judges. Judges who would laugh when asked to protect gun owners.

From the article,
(The request that the student, Leyla Pirnie, move out came after her roommates searched her room while she was not home and found her firearms.)

That part right there tells me even more she should have been far more careful. That her roomies where pawing through her stuff while she was not home tells me a LOT about the low life's she was sharing a home with. I can easily see this type finding the gun then not saying anything to her. Rather telling every one of their friends about how their roomie has a gun. Then others would either want to see it and or come over to steal it. I hope she invests in a safe for her next move.
All I'm saying is that they could have found a safe, and discovered the contents to be firearms, which was abreviated to "found her guns" in the article.
I think she should know more about her roommates where she moves to next, before allowing them free access to any of her possessions...
I would never board with anyone again without having a private lock on my door, at least.

PS; she should sue for compensation of moving costs and any lease liability.

All I'm saying is that they could have found a safe, and discovered the contents to be firearms, which was abreviated to "found her guns" in the article.
I think she should know more about her roommates where she moves to next, before allowing them free access to any of her possessions...
I would never board with anyone again without having a private lock on my door, at least.

PS; she should sue for compensation of moving costs and any lease liability.
She could file in small claims. Not sure it if would be worth it to her. Time and cost, and where she lives. Chances of getting a Judge who would side with her in that crap hole are slim. Hopefully she uses this as a learning experience. She is young and has a whole life ahead of her. This minor bump in the road should help her learn.

From the Mass. AG office at Mass.gov: "the landlord cannot end the tenancy (evict the tenant) unless the tenant fails to satisfy the conditions in the lease."

The landlord can demand whatever he wants, but he has no legal basis for eviction. It also appears he told her to move immediately, which would violate most notice requirements in typical Landlord/Tenant law.

If she were to sue, she should skip small claims redress for rent and sue in a higher court for big bucks... this landlord is way out on a limb. And I can say as a former member of a rental owners organization that Legal Aid Societies tear these guys up for high dollar amounts on these kinds of violations, esp of a protected class due to her sex.

Landlord "went on to warn Pirnie that if others move out, she will be responsible for paying their rent, according to the Washington Free Beacon."

I don't think that is true. She has a rental agreement. That is what she is responsible for. Though, she does have a lawsuit in her favor, pending.

I don't think that is true. She has a rental agreement. That is what she is responsible for. Though, she does have a lawsuit in her favor, pending.

I too doubted that part when I read it, that if the others moved she would have to be responsible for their rent. That is unless they all singed some kind of agreement, with that stipulated, they could move because she owned a gun. Pretty sure that did not happen. Landlord was no doubt just trying to get her to leave quietly.
Now as far as legal action that is a big rub where she is at. Many seem to forget yes you can sue anyone anytime. That does not mean it's free of cost. If she wants to go after any of them she either has to pay up front, a lot of money, or find an attorney who is going to take it on no cost to her. Who here thinks any of the other kids has any real assets to be sued for? Considering where this is, heart of liberals, slim picking here. Many seem to forget the "law" is nothing, and means nothing. It only means what some black robe tells you it means. So she sues, what are the odds the judge will think, "she had a gun, she is wrong"? Then she could go higher up the food chain, again assuming someone wants to pay for all this???
Bottom line the best I see coming of this is the girl learns some valuable life lessons cheap here. This could have been a real, huge, mess, easily. One of them took that gun and something bad happened? In that area? She is young, pretty, and trying to get an education. Hopefully this lesson will stay with her and shape her actions in the future.

She has a rental agreement

According to the article, she signed onto a lease. Legally that's a big difference. However in this case the same legal principles will apply.

(Edit: meaning the landlord cannot evict without a breach of the lease terms. Also, yes under a lease the parties are responsible for a fixed amount for the period of the lease as opposed to a month to month rental agreement. So yup, somebody would have to pay for the lease under most circumstances. However, if the landlord illegally terminates the tenancy, the lease will be void. Note: I'm not a lawyer but was a landlord for many years. Our Rental Owners Association was represented by a lobbyist that kept us up on Landlord Tenant law here in Oregon. Some of that applies because it is general in nature.

Last Edited:
According to the article, she signed onto a lease. Legally that's a big difference. However in this case the same legal principles will apply.

Yes they all apparently had a lease together. Being there is a couple larger schools here this is a normal thing in this area. Have known in passing a few who owned homes in the area who do this. Said they made far more money for the place this way. From the little I asked they said they had legally drawn lease agreements. The owner knew exactly who was living there. All of them would agree to stay the term and if they left early it was up to them to pay rent until a replacement could be found for them. Since I very much doubt her lease said she could not keep a gun, well she would have good standing legally. Of course the problem is if she fought it and it ended up in front of some liberal judge, who knows what they would say.

Yes they all apparently had a lease together. Being there is a couple larger schools here this is a normal thing in this area. Have known in passing a few who owned homes in the area who do this. Said they made far more money for the place this way. From the little I asked they said they had legally drawn lease agreements. The owner knew exactly who was living there. All of them would agree to stay the term and if they left early it was up to them to pay rent until a replacement could be found for them. Since I very much doubt her lease said she could not keep a gun, well she would have good standing legally. Of course the problem is if she fought it and it ended up in front of some liberal judge, who knows what they would say.
Yes, somewhat common. I had a lease like this with a couple buddies in college. When I transferred schools mid-year all I needed to do was find an approved replacement to take my place. Otherwise I would have been on the hook for my share.
Honestly, most landlords just want people who pay rent on time and don't wreck the place. The real villains in this story are the roommates.

Legal Aid Society... specializes in screwing landlords!!!
If she could find one to help her that would be great. The anti gun crap has so polluted so much of places like that it may be hard. How often do you see the ACLU standing up for gun rights? Most liberals hate wealth, business owners, land lords, and such. Yet bring up "guns" and suddenly they love billionaires who support them trying to take them away. It's how the latest anti gun law got passed here. Gun owners who could not be bothered with voting along with VERY wealthy people willing to dump huge sums of their own money into the fight to take guns away from the law abiding. Liberals watch this and see nothing wrong. It is amazing to watch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top