JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad I read this ... had BEEN considering getting one of these! :eek: Probably not anymore... Will be waiting to see how this works out for you...
Don't make a decision based on a single incident! I've never seen this issue reported before and there are thousands of this pistol out there. Every once in a while, you'll get a flop but, by far and large, this is a very reliable pistol.:s0155:

If you don't have a shipping label from the maker it's going to cost you through the as,,Nose. When I was naive our first gun we bought a Keltec mouse gun :oops: for the wife. It had issues. Anyway it cost us $70.00+ to ship UPS overnight. That gal at the hub was just smiling and friendly.
And just a part of the reason Kimber can kiss my back door. I had problems with a brand new Montana. I had to buy a case to ship it in and pay the freight to them. When it returned with the cosmetic issues fixed, but the mechanical issue unaddressed, I realized their priorities were different than mine...

replacing a Pinto with a Yugo......
Yugo, the only car to be blown off a bridge by the wind.
it has less than 500 rounds through it.better to have it fail on the range than in a life or death situation
glad it happened. There was a thread a few years ago on NWFA about "how many rounds proof firing before you put your pistol into your EDC lineup?"
Makes you ponder, and the simplest approach is, "practice, regularly."

Most showed signs of peening after 100 rounds. Pretty easy to spot
Do you have a photo you can share of what that looks like prior to a failure like the OP's shield?

Yugo, the only car to be blown off a bridge by the wind.
glad it happened. There was a thread a few years ago on NWFA about "how many rounds proof firing before you put your pistol into your EDC lineup?"
Makes you ponder, and the simplest approach is, "practice, regularly."

Do you have a photo you can share of what that looks like prior to a failure like the OP's shield?
im glad it happened at the range and not when someones trying to kill me or a loved one

I estimate I've put 200+ rounds thru the 9mm Shield and found it doesn't like Truncated cone lead reloads, but anything that has a curved profile works just fine. No prob's with FMJ or jacketed hollow points. So I'm carrying the Shield as we speak loaded with Fed. HST 124gr cartridges, it and the M&P9c are performing flawlessly as long as I put the right ammo in them.
The truncated cone cast lead just won't feed in either gun.

I double checked the barrel where it meets the slide on my first gen Shield bought new last month, I have about 300 rds thru it now and could only detect expected wear from 2 parts sliding against each other, no peening!
Gabby

Last Edited:
Here is some peening in a little Sig P938 9mm.

Easy to check your pistols. Look at the locking lugs, and lock up areas on the slide. If you see raised metal, or mushroomed, post up some photos of it and let me take a look.

A5D8FF54-F620-4377-ABC1-35A62AD17E65.png 6313369E-F9DC-4C0C-A4AB-78F230AF7FDA.png 2EDD951B-4C33-48C7-BD5E-43F62CBFC53D.png

Thanks for the idea to go back and double check the Ms. shield along with my others for safe operation.

My gf has 1k thru her shield and this issue isn't present. I'd say its just a fluke with the one model. S&W is great about replacements so take refuge in that. I had an issue with my old shield 45 dropping mags and they got it fixed in under 2 weeks time.

SIG did the same with my 320 missing a retainer nut on the guide rod when it popped out of my gun while firing on the range.

This is why I will at least put 300-500 thru a EDC gun before carrying regardless of brand.

Thanks for the idea to go back and double check the Ms. shield along with my others for safe operation.

My gf has 1k thru her shield and this issue isn't present. I'd say its just a fluke with the one model. S&W is great about replacements so take refuge in that. I had an issue with my old shield 45 dropping mags and they got it fixed in under 2 weeks time.

SIG did the same with my 320 missing a retainer nut on the guide rod when it popped out of my gun while firing on the range.

This is why I will at least put 300-500 thru a EDC gun before carrying regardless of brand.
I would call today. It should not take five minutes for them to respond to that!
Because everyone says S&W is Jonny on the Spot, so whay the delay with the OP's.

Because the ball got dropped, pitch it again'

I'm interested what Smith says.

No way in heck that S&W will tell you what/why it happened. Why should they? They will just fix it with new parts, maybe even a completely new gun. You will get a letter telling you that this or that was replaced.

Last Edited:
never heard anything from smith and wesson but fedex has notified me that my pistol is gonna show up on wednesday. hopefully, they just fixed it and sent it back to me? we'll see! i hope im home for fedex on wednesday i dont wanna wait until after thanksgiving to get it!

never heard anything from smith and wesson but fedex has notified me that my pistol is gonna show up on wednesday. hopefully, they just fixed it and sent it back to me? we'll see! i hope im home for fedex on wednesday i dont wanna wait until after thanksgiving to get it!

Thats how my process went only i had it shipped back from a LGS i bought it from so they notified me when it was back in store. Took about 2 and half weeks or so? no more than 3 tops.

There should be a sheet of paper going over the reason it was sent back, the gunsmiths observations and actions taken. Then a final statement of what was fixed and how along with a functions test shot (no idea how many shots they do so I'd assume 1 or 2 bullets to at least a full mag maybe?) After that its verified operational and sent back. Otherwise I think they would hold it longer and still it cannot be fixed they would likely replace it with a verified new pistol.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top