JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It comes with the full set to prime all the things. What sold me on it was being able to set the depth of seating.

*edit* Ok, "most" of the things. ( I don't, or at least haven't, reloaded anything too unusual, yet. )

It comes with the full set to prime all the things. What sold me on it was being able to set the depth of seating.

*edit* Ok, "most" of the things. ( I don't, or at least haven't, reloaded anything too unusual, yet. )

My hand controls seating depth. I would argue that a person that must have a fine adjustment to tell them when the primer is at the bottom of the cup, maybe isn't cut out for reloading ammo? Loading ammo has a few things that depend on feel and intuition. And how might a person that uses the depth adjustment deal with slight differences in primer cup depth? Okay, that part may be a bit out there.

Alas, reading this thread reminds me of my age, and I'm not nearly as old as some of you coots on this forum. :D
Age and doing someting for a long time can be a curse. We cut our teeth on many pieces of equipment that have since been vastly improved.
Both my RCBS hand primes are the old, two piece types. Many times I have crawled around the cave floor looking for that darned seater cup. Learned to keep the thing in a sealed tupperware tub.
I have a Hornady hand primer too. It works well but it's so difficult to change out that I seldom use it.
Had the Lee primer (old style). Hated it would be putting it lightly.
I like the hand primers. It helps me keep my arthritis in check and monitor it's level. My arthritis is the type that lack of movement is more harmful than the pain of doing things.

I've used a lot of hand-prime units over the years. Only recently RCBS sent me the one-piece rods as a replacement. To be honest, I prefer them. Strongly. I've found that it's actually easier to change shell holders now.
For one, no more lost rods! The one piece design makes them much harder to lose.

To change shell holders, all you do is, 1. pull out the sliding gate, like you would anyhow. 2. drop the handle all the way down so the rod assembly falls below the shellholder assembly. 3. swap out your shellholder and reassemble. If you're changing rods, just swap them out from the bottom.

I've used these units for many years, and I really think that the one piece rod is a noticeable improvement. I especially like that the rod will never again accidentally fall out the top and get lost.

I've tried to like the Lee units, and had several over the years, but I just kept breaking them. Inevitably I'd run across a piece of brass with a tight primer pocket, and snap the handle off. I did that several times before I gave up. If they made their handles stronger I'd like them.

I like the RCBS units, but they have their flaws. One of the things I've never liked is the plastic primer feed pieces. The rod is sloppy loose in them, and if you have brass with tight primer pockets and have to use more force to seat primers, you often end up with small off-center dents in your primers.

Cosmetic, I know, but I like to be particular with primers. I re-engineered their primer feed for them:
IMG_9099[1].jpg

I used a piece of stainless 1/4" tubing, machined it to work, and glued it in place. I did the large primer feed the same way. They work much better, and don't fall apart or wear out.

Alas, reading this thread reminds me of my age, and I'm not nearly as old as some of you coots on this forum. :D
Age and doing someting for a long time can be a curse. We cut our teeth on many pieces of equipment that have since been vastly improved.
Both my RCBS hand primes are the old, two piece types. Many times I have crawled around the cave floor looking for that darned seater cup. Learned to keep the thing in a sealed tupperware tub.
I have a Hornady hand primer too. It works well but it's so difficult to change out that I seldom use it.
Had the Lee primer (old style). Hated it would be putting it lightly.
I like the hand primers. It helps me keep my arthritis in check and monitor it's level. My arthritis is the type that lack of movement is more harmful than the pain of doing things.

Old "COOTS" Indeed! As you finish with talking about YOUR arthritis! You're killing me smalls! :s0140:
You're spot on about keeping moving. I can hurt worse at the end of a day laying around and relaxing than if i was out doing some physical work.

I've used a lot of hand-prime units over the years. Only recently RCBS sent me the one-piece rods as a replacement. To be honest, I prefer them. Strongly. I've found that it's actually easier to change shell holders now.
For one, no more lost rods! The one piece design makes them much harder to lose.

To change shell holders, all you do is, 1. pull out the sliding gate, like you would anyhow. 2. drop the handle all the way down so the rod assembly falls below the shellholder assembly. 3. swap out your shellholder and reassemble. If you're changing rods, just swap them out from the bottom.

I've used these units for many years, and I really think that the one piece rod is a noticeable improvement. I especially like that the rod will never again accidentally fall out the top and get lost.

I've tried to like the Lee units, and had several over the years, but I just kept breaking them. Inevitably I'd run across a piece of brass with a tight primer pocket, and snap the handle off. I did that several times before I gave up. If they made their handles stronger I'd like them.

Yeah, this old COOT just likes to complain of changes in my cages. If it comes to it I would buy the RCBS primer again because that's what I've been using. Changing that solid rod isn't a big deal. Just that I keep a bit of lube on the friction parts, so it's a bit dirty to mess with is all.

You're spot on about keeping moving. I can hurt worse at the end of a day laying around and relaxing than if i was out doing some physical work.

If I don't move around enough in a day, my back gets real bad. Luckily, that's not normally an issue, only if I get too sick to get out of bed. Glad I never went the desk job route!

Interesting how so many of us that shoot and reload also like to improve the machines we use, often with some pretty ingenious upgrades.

That EZEE Prime looks like it has special shell holders just for the hand primer? What's the matter with using the same shell holders your press uses?

The Lee hand priming tools have their own set of proprietary shell holders too. Which I've never liked, but they are dirt cheap. My RCBS uses universal type shell holders but it's very clunky to change them. The Lees change very easily. So I guess for me that more than offsets the bother of having a second set of holders.

The Lee hand priming tools have their own set of proprietary shell holders too. Which I've never liked, but they are dirt cheap. My RCBS uses universal type shell holders but it's very clunky to change them. The Lees change very easily. So I guess for me that more than offsets the bother of having a second set of holders.

I am used to changing the shell holder out in the RCBS. Heck, whenever I load it's only one caliber at a sitting anyway. It's the changing the method that I'm resistant to. ;)

Nutritiion, exercise, and managing stress are the greatest treatments for this. Hydroxychloroquine when it's really bad. When it's really, really bad, a broken leg/ankle/finger feel very mild in comparison.
I'm very lucky in that Hydroxychloroquine put it in check. I've been largely asymptomatic since parting ways with the first wife.

Nutritiion, exercise, and managing stress are the greatest treatments for this. Hydroxychloroquine when it's really bad. When it's really, really bad, a broken leg/ankle/finger feel very mild in comparison.
I'm very lucky in that Hydroxychloroquine put it in check. I've been largely asymptomatic since parting ways with the first wife.

I don't know if I should laugh, or not.

Isn't that Hydroxychloroquine what they're finding has some help with the virus?

I don't know if I should laugh, or not.
Isn't that Hydroxychloroquine what they're finding has some help with the virus?
Yes, do laugh. Who knows why God hands us our challenges, but the ironies and triumphs keep it interesting and humorous.
Yep, same drug. What they don't tell you is you have to be on Hydroxy for at least two weeks for it to be effective. I'm currently not taking it to avoid the vision side effects, but have several months stash in case I need to resume.

I have the RCBS universal and the only issue I have had to date is with 45 colt brass. They have a smaller rim and like to pop out of the tool when seating the primer. I had that happen with Winchester brass.

I lost the large primer seating rod from my RCBS hand primer. :( :( Anybody else that lost one, ordered another, and ended up finding the lost one? Now you have TWO? And would be happy to sell me their extra? I can order one but if there's a chance someone close to me in PDX has one they would part with. That'd Be Great!

It is my firm belief that manufacturers should paint all small parts hunter orange rather than black. Anything else is a conspiracy to sell parts!

It is my firm belief that manufacturers should paint all small parts hunter orange rather than black. Anything else is a conspiracy to sell parts!

No kidding. I'm guessing that's why RCBS linked the rod and plunger together. The way that rod just sits in position, until you turn the unit over, at which point it can just fall out.

Good news though! A member, @michaeldw ,who I was meeting for a transaction this morning came through with an extra for me. Been sitting here at the table happily seating large primers in .30-06 brass. Thanks again Michael! Pleasure meeting you today.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top