JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are no new gun control bills being advanced in the legislature currently, and it appears that there will be no further bills submitted this year.

According to the news report in the link at the bottom of this page, the legislature is current tied up with:

1) A big battle over fine tuning Oregon's new recreational Marijuana law. This is turning out to be quite a contentious battle. It seems that the law was not written very well, and needs lots of fixes.

2) A transportation bill to fund road and highway work. This is critically needed, but requires a single Republican vote in the House, in order to pass the big State Gas Tax increase that is part of the bill. Republicans are holding out on doing this though, and are demanding that Democrats role back some of the provisions just past in the recent Clean Fuels bill. It has been widely predicted that this legislation will bring about a dramatic increase in Oregon gas prices.

This has turned into a very divisive issue, with some Democrats now joining with Republicans in saying that the just past legislation went too far, and needs to be adjusted.

3) Liberals within the Democrat party are continuing to press for a large increase in Oregon's minimum wage. Once again, there are some Democrats siding with Republicans against this legislation. So this is another controversial matter that is taking up a lot of time in an attempt to create a bill that can pass.

House Speaker Tina Kotek of Portland is refusing to let this bill die. and is trying her best to advance it.

So pot, our roads, and the minimum wage may combine to spare us from any new gun control laws this year.

And next year is a short session, which would greatly hamper any new controversial gun laws being past. The legislature often struggles just to pass the budget in short session years. Plus, it is an election year too, and the Oregon's Democratic Party is not dumb enough to pass new gun control just months before an election.

See this news article for complete details:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...-favored-bills-as-session-winds-down.html.csp

ROFLMAO Any 8th grader can figure out how to sell POT for a profit just fine. The State of Oregon will spend millions of dollars and what two years dreaming up a 150 rules to be able to do it. The Quandry in Salem isn't that the Measure 91 was poorly written it is that the State is trying to figure out how to muscle out the other kids on the corner and end up the only game on the street.

the State is trying to figure out how to muscle out the other kids on the corner and end up the only game on the street.
Never happen - for a variety of reasons but a major one is legalizing pot only benefits the middle and upper classes who can afford it and do NOT have to buy it 'off the street' as many will continue to do.

Never happen - for a variety of reasons but a major one is legalizing pot only benefits the middle and upper classes who can afford it and do NOT have to buy it 'off the street' as many will continue to do.

In places that have already passed similar laws, like Colorado and Washington, the legal prices are actually lower than what street dealers have been charging by a considerable amount, typically 20-40 percent less. Measure 91's original terms also allow for homegrowing (for personal use), 4 plants per household, and up to 8 Oz per adult. If you can afford a bucket and some dirt, you can grow enough for even a heavy smoker to always be in supply.

And next year is a short session, which would greatly hamper any new controversial gun laws being past. The legislature often struggles just to pass the budget in short session years. Plus, it is an election year too, and the Oregon's Democratic Party is not dumb enough to pass new gun control just months before an election.

The Democrats can do what ever the hell they want to in this state. Being an election year has nothing to do with it. The Republicans have not won,and in fact lost seats in the last two years, so the Dems could give a rats axx about that, they have the Legislature tied up solid, and expecting any kind of vote changing election results is not going to happen.

They passed a couple of bad gun control bills this year, no need to try any more this year, they will have ample opportunity to do it next year or the year after. Until they can be stopped, they will pass gun control legislation every year.

The Democrats can do what ever the hell they want to in this state. Being an election year has nothing to do with it. The Republicans have not won,and in fact lost seats in the last two years, so the Dems could give a rats axx about that, they have the Legislature tied up solid, and expecting any kind of vote changing election results is not going to happen.

They passed a couple of bad gun control bills this year, no need to try any more this year, they will have ample opportunity to do it next year or the year after. Until they can be stopped, they will pass gun control legislation every year.

Well, they are still one vote short in the House when it comes to being able to either pass a budget or new taxes all on their own. So Republicans have been able to fight off new taxes and programs that would clearly need funding. That is why all of these new bills that are being past, such as SB941, are unfunded. The state is claiming that all of this legislation is not going to cost the state anything, and have zero financial impact.

However, if the Democrats gain just one more vote in next year's election, then in 2017, they will indeed be able to do whatever they want.

One can only imagine the number of new taxes that we would then see.

can we introduce so many new pro gun bills to tie up their time

Look at the legislative website. It is full to the brim of laws that never went any further than being posted. What we would need are a couple champion legislatures, and the willingness to get a little organized and campaign for a particular bill(s). Doable, but easier said than done.

This year was a normal session. Next year is just a short session: the legislature will only meet for 35 days next year. As I said before, that is hardly enough time for them to address budget issues. Typically little else gets done in a short session.

So there is little risk of anything happening next year, barring something like a mass shooting happening here in Oregon.

What we have to worry about is 2017. If there was only someway that we could GAIN a few pro gun seats in the upcoming 2016 election, we could safeguard ourselves. But we would need a major effort like the one that Bloomberg financed in the last election.

This year was a normal session. Next year is just a short session: the legislature will only meet for 35 days next year. As I said before, that is hardly enough time for them to address budget issues. Typically little else gets done in a short session.

So there is little risk of anything happening next year, barring something like a mass shooting happening here in Oregon.

What we have to worry about is 2017. If there was only someway that we could GAIN a few pro gun seats in the upcoming 2016 election, we could safeguard ourselves. But we would need a major effort like the one that Bloomberg financed in the last election.

We can't get started soon enough on this.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some gun control legislation ready to roll as an "emergency" coming into the legislature on Day 1. If they even think they may lose control of the Legislature or the Governorship they will certainly act.

We can't get started soon enough on this.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some gun control legislation ready to roll as an "emergency" coming into the legislature on Day 1. If they even think they may lose control of the Legislature or the Governorship they will certainly act.

No, I'm afraid that I must disagree. The Oregon Democratic Party is not stupid. Why would they pass new gun legislation in 2016, just months before the election? That would be a very bad political move to antagonize voters just before the election. That would really energize folks. Do you not realize that the political parties actually use strategy?

They will want to get all of their people re-elected in 2016 first. A short session is only a little more than a fifth as long as a normal session. There is so little time available that the tendency in short sessions is to focus on issues that truly are urgent, and really cannot wait another year.

No, they will wait until 2017, while believing that gun owners will remain apathetic and disorganized in the meantime.

Do you see any signs at all the political landscape will change before 2017? I don't see any evidence of that.

No, I'm afraid that I must disagree. The Oregon Democratic Party is not stupid. Why would they pass new gun legislation in 2016, just months before the election? That would be a very bad political move to antagonize voters just before the election. That would really energize folks. Do you not realize that the political parties actually use strategy?

They will want to get all of their people re-elected in 2016 first. A short session is only a little more than a fifth as long as a normal session. There is so little time available that the tendency in short sessions is to focus on issues that truly are urgent, and really cannot wait another year.

No, they will wait until 2017, while believing that gun owners will remain apathetic and disorganized in the meantime.

Do you see any signs at all the political landscape will change before 2017? I don't see any evidence of that.

I would be grateful to be wrong in this case. I think if they see that they will lose the ability to steamroll legislation they will pass whatever they can as quickly as they can for as long as they can. Once again, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top