JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can learn hands on. That is how I started. I only do pistol, 9MM and 380. I think pistol is a lot easier than rifle. I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker, $50 rebate until the end of the year. I read the book and the instructions that come with the dies. I have done about 1000 rounds at this time with no issues. I do have friends that reload, just in case, but haven't had to ask any questions. I think reloading is something you need to be careful about, but it isn't rocket science either. That is my experience, yours might be different.
OldguyGW

Anyone in southern oregon willing to show me how if i get the equipment? Im not really sure if i should look up vids and do it myself, or learn hands on.

I started out with the RCBS rock chucker kit. It came with everything but dies and components. It comes with a Speer manual. I also bought a hornady manual. Read them both and started hand loading. I havent had a ftf or any problems in 4-5 years. I recently got a progressive press and expanded my bench a little bit. Once you got the concept everything starts falling together nicely. Now I have 4-5 manuals and all kinds of manufacturer load charts... Reloading is about as addictive as shooting for me.

Personally I would recommend reading some manuals over vids or just having someone show you. Your gonna need manuals anyway for load data. You might as well read the what they have to offer.. You'll get some cool history on the manufacturers and thorough knowledge of the process. Not just one persons way of doing it. I would watch vids and get individuals input after I read some manuals, had my bench put together and a few hand loaded rounds down range. Good luck, Im sure some folks with a heck of a lot more experience than me will chime in too. I live up by Eugene but if your ever up this way I would be glad to show you my version of the process. :s0155:Stay safe out there, Brandon

you should be able to teach urself,a lot of us did.Start with pistol if possible. why ?
rifle almost always requires trimming brass,and rifle powders are more difficult to measure than pistol powders,in general anyway. Rifle cases require lubing,and then de lubing too.just more steps than pistol,still not rocket science.
pls tell us ur ammo needs...caliber,qty per month,that kind of thing so we can be of more help.

you should be able to teach urself,a lot of us did.Start with pistol if possible. why ?
rifle almost always requires trimming brass,and rifle powders are more difficult to measure than pistol powders,in general anyway. Rifle cases require lubing,and then de lubing too.just more steps than pistol,still not rocket science.
pls tell us ur ammo needs...caliber,qty per month,that kind of thing so we can be of more help.

Im not trying to dismiss your opinion as its just as valuable as mine if not more so.. I started with rifle then when I started loading pistol it was a breeze.I shot more rifles then though. Still do. I mainly got into reloading for the accuracy benefits as well as cost effectiveness. I guess I wanted to load rifle anyway. Just my experience.

I live just north of Medford and would be willing to help you out... we can either use your equipment or if you like we can do some reloading on mine and (Dillon 550 or RCBS single stage) If this is something you want to persue just PM me.

I live just north of Medford and would be willing to help you out...
This is a great offer you should take advantage of. I have posted similar followups to similar questions but will do so again - the first thing you need to do is establish why you want to get into reloading. I know that sounds odd but you really need to answer that for yourself. You will not save money by reloading so hopefully that was not the reason. What you should be thinking about is getting into reloading as an extension of your interest in guns and shooting and want to be able to produce quality ammo tailored specifically for what you want to do. Also you need to understand reloading is a serious undertaking and is not to be taken lightly. While it is not rocket science as mentioned before, it is a procedural and repetitive process that requires concentration and preferably a place you can be by yourself. It also takes time to develop your own system of doing things so you essentially do the same thing each time, for each process to ensure safety and consistency with your loads. Reloading needs to be an integral part of the overall picture, and not just a chore you feel you need to accomplish so you can go shooting. I cannot emphasize that enough - and I speak from 30 + years of experience pullin' the handle!

snip.. "You will not save money by reloading so hopefully that was not the reason. " snip...

Dang, I got into reloading for the savings. Shooting cast loads all day long and have more than paid for my equipment. Costs me <$5 for a box of pistol reloads vs. $15-$20. When I get even cheaper and buy a boolit mold, I will cast my own boolits and save even more! I bought the reloading materials in bulk and now have enough for thousands of rounds. The steel gongs are no longer safe from me!!! So, I think cost savings can be part of the equation. Plus I built some plinker loads for my 30-30 that are at pistol velocities that I can't buy commercially, and cheap too!

I might add that I thought myself using both reloading books and videos on youtube. Trust me, the first loads were scary because I had zero confidence, but as long as you are very, very careful and following instructions, it is relatively safe.

So, I think cost savings can be part of the equation.
CPY is correct. This can be true with careful shopping of components, light loads and getting an efficient system in place. I should have said "Some cost saving can eventually be recognized but may be offset for a while due to initial equipment investment. Therefore do not consider saving money as your primary reason for getting into reloading."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top