JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's the old wiring that scares me. I've seen a lot of old house wiring that should have put the building up in flames years ago, but by the grace of some higher up deity it didn't happen.

I heated with those stand up oil heaters for years when the old POS Cadets in the wall went TU. They worked pretty good, except when it got real cold. I put in a mini split a year ago and love it. With the new siding and windows helping out a lot we had the most comfortable winter in 30 years in this house. The AC aspect works real good too.
$ 6,500 for the unit and install, $ 800 energy rebate and a $ 1,200 state tax credit, so the capital cost was reasonable.

Got one more piece of information on the house - built in 1971, so not nearly as old as I had thought. That means insulation shouldn't be too bad. Still waiting for more details - the wife is reaching out to her on some of the other questions some of you have asked. I'll report back to this thread when I get that info, hopefully by tonight.

I do rental management and throw away working dishwashers all the time. On turns if they are a older model or dented or stained I replace them. Pm me if you want.
This was to be my suggestion as well. Right now I'm shot on any extra dishwashers.
I don't know if anyone suggested it yet, but you may want to check their water heater as well. A frequent cause I find of broken dishwashers in old buildings is that (tiny) pieces of the water heater's internal plumbing get flushed out with hot water and lodge themselves in the mechanical parts and jets, causing all sorts of fun time shenanigans. Not sure on home or water heater age, but likely worth a check.

It's the old wiring that scares me. I've seen a lot of old house wiring that should have put the building up in flames years ago, but by the grace of some higher up deity it didn't happen.
I lived in a place in Kansas City that had cotton wrapped copper wiring. It was not safe at all.

This place was so old, that it had windowsills that you could open to stuff in or remove the insulation of your choice.

I'm not either. And if you are going to use them, keep them far away from flammable materials, and never, ever sleep with one on.

I have hard wood and smoke detectors;).

Plus, unless you overload a circuit They are very space efficient if you are only hanging out in one or two rooms instead of heating the whole house.

The newer ones have tip sensors, fans and housings that keep the scorching heat inside and directed where you want it.

May not work for everyone but I find them to be the way to go and have used them for over 10 years.

I found this whilst searching on programs. Note this section:

Q85imWu.jpg

It also mentions priority given to senior citizens, and it sounds like there may be two of said in the home. I'd imagine it is worth a phone call (800-453-5511 option 2) or email ([email protected]) once you have all the facts on the situation.

Beyond that, thank you for helping these friends. :)

Unless it's ancient, those are usually fairly repairable.... blower motor, some heat strips, sequencers, some relays...

If you feel it needs to be replaced, you'll need to know the circuit ampacity, preferably the kw output of the heat-strips package inside the furnace, and how much CFM of airflow the blower will move.

A make, model, and serial number will go a LONG WAY in helping determine all of that.

Agree with all of that.

Looks like new electric furnaces are fairly reasonably priced. I don't know if the Oregon residential energy code allows installing electric heat but it may for a replacement unit. If it allows installing a replacement one, then a unit of the same KW, and similar CFM/static pressure should be fairly inexpensive. If the old unit heating capacity was adequate, then they wouldn't want to get a larger KW unit or else may be replacing breakers, wire, etc.

Heat pump would save them money on their electric bill, but installation would be more expensive than an electric furnace unless there are significant state incentives. Heat pump would require another electrical circuit for the outdoor unit, plus running refrigerant lines.

I found this whilst searching on programs. Note this section:

View attachment 514338

It also mentions priority given to senior citizens, and it sounds like there may be two of said in the home. I'd imagine it is worth a phone call (800-453-5511 option 2) or email ([email protected]) once you have all the facts on the situation.

Beyond that, thank you for helping these friends. :)

Thank you, I'll look into this option!

Agree with all of that.

Looks like new electric furnaces are fairly reasonably priced. I don't know if the Oregon residential energy code allows installing electric heat but it may for a replacement unit. If it allows installing a replacement one, then a unit of the same KW, and similar CFM/static pressure should be fairly inexpensive. If the old unit heating capacity was adequate, then they wouldn't want to get a larger KW unit or else may be replacing breakers, wire, etc.

Heat pump would save them money on their electric bill, but installation would be more expensive than an electric furnace unless there are significant state incentives. Heat pump would require another electrical circuit for the outdoor unit, plus running refrigerant lines.

I'm still waiting to see if I can get a look at the quote they got to replace the unit, it would help to know the costs and what was included. We got wrapped up in some serious family stuff this weekend, so I haven't had time to follow up with them as I had planned. Still planning to share more info as soon as I get it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top