JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When my grand children have birthdays and at Christmas, I peel off a $100 bill and slip it to them. Even at that, it isn't worth as much as $20 was in the 1950's and '60's when I was their age. From those times until now, I think the inflation rate is approximately a multiplier of ten.
You're generous! My mom sends birthday cards to my kids with a twenty in them. I don't think she considers inflation; she thinks she's very generous because that's a lot of money. My kids are appreciative, but we all know $20 isn't much nowadays, not even a half tank of gas. My dad, before he passed, thought $10/hr was darn good wages. Of course he never worked for wages, or valued his time at all, but occasionally hired people for farm work, and then complained that he could never hire any good help.

As to primers, there was a guy selling a bunch on here recently, tens of thousands of CCI SP primers for $65/k. He's just south of me and for a while I was tempted to buy some. I have enough but not a lot, but earlier this year I made the decision to stop spending money on guns and reloading stuff. I've done really well at that, but was still tempted to buy a few, just in case. Just yesterday I decided to go ahead, went and found the listing only to see that he had just sold out of them. Oh well, probably for the best. Maybe as time goes by they'll keep coming back and going down in price. One can always hope... :)

As to primers, there was a guy selling a bunch on here recently, tens of thousands of CCI SP primers for $65/k. He's just south of me and for a while I was tempted to buy some. I have enough but not a lot, but earlier this year I made the decision to stop spending money on guns and reloading stuff. I've done really well at that, but was still tempted to buy a few, just in case. Just yesterday I decided to go ahead, went and found the listing only to see that he had just sold out of them. Oh well, probably for the best. Maybe as time goes by they'll keep coming back and going down in price.
Reloading is way many gun enthusiasts find to greatly expand their experience. Meaning, sink more time (and money) into it. Reasonable people will usually self impose limits on themselves. There is a point where a hobby takes over and morphs into an obsession. Not much different than hoarding. The word "healthy" comes to mind.

I have several thousand primers over what I need based on current projectile inventory. When I was downsizing several years ago, I let go of thousands of extra primers, thinking, "If I need more, I can always buy them." Which since has turned out to be a falsehood. So I reacquired "extra" primers, just in case. For one reason or another, I don't do as much shooting these days as I used to. So I don't really know how many or how few I might need in the long run.

You're generous! My mom sends birthday cards to my kids with a twenty in them. I don't think she considers inflation; she thinks she's very generous because that's a lot of money. My kids are appreciative, but we all know $20 isn't much nowadays, not even a half tank of gas.
Oh, I don't know. My circumstances permit me to be a bit generous. And I enjoy being generous. I like to give gifts of money to family members and I like to take people out to dinner and pick up the bill. Who knows how long they will be around to do things for family? Who knows how long their money will have some value to do things with?

Without my having a lot of experience with Fiocchi centerfire primers, I don't see why they'd be problematic. So far, I've bought a couple of sleeves just to try them out. BUT: Fiocchi is a major manufacturer who has had a plant in the US since the 1980's. Most of the ammo they sell here is made in the US. They recently launched a new primer plant in Little Rock, Ark. but I don't know if it's online yet. I've been using Fiocchi primed shotshell hulls for a few years and haven't had any misfires.

I try to keep a balance of reloading components on hand. Bullets / powder / primers in amounts that will result in X amount of cartridges. The brass isn't all that important since its recyclable several times over. However, lately because of the criticality of primers, I've been over-buying those when opportunities arise. I'm not wildly out of balance.
You provide a lot of useful information. :)

Oh, I don't know. My circumstances permit me to be a bit generous. And I enjoy being generous. I like to give gifts of money to family members and I like to take people out to dinner and pick up the bill. Who knows how long they will be around to do things for family? Who knows how long their money will have some value to do things with?
I love this perspective, and I've been tending that way myself as I get older. I used to be one cheap SOB when I was younger, because of the way I was raised. There was no real generosity with my folks; it was about earning what you got. A few dollars was "really generous" because even though it was little, it was unearned. My mom recently told me about being in a store with my young niece. Her 7yo granddaughter found a trinket that she was excited about buying for her sister. She got to the checkout and found she was a couple dollars short. She was embarrassed and crying as she put it back.

Grandma, worth millions, wouldn't pull a couple bucks out of her purse for her sweet little granddaughter because "she needs to learn to manage her money". Sad. I see other people who take their grandkids on vacation to Disneyland. My folks couldn't even spend a little time getting to know my kids because they had to get back to their all-important, GD farm. I'm doing things a little different with my family; nothing is more important than family.

There was no real generosity with my folks; it was about earning what you got.
My personal criterion is, are they worthy? Family members usually are if they've been raised right.

I will give money to the Sally Army Christmas pot, but I won't give to roadside beggars. Some time ago, I was in a Walmart grocery dept. and I saw this middle aged couple counting their money, then counting the stuff in their cart. Trying to decide what to put back because they couldn't afford it. I approached the woman, held out a $20 bill, and asked if it would help. She took it gladly and thanked me profusely. I got well over $20 worth of feeling heroic about it. But to me, she was worthy of the gift. Because instead of stealing, she was prioritizing what she could afford and what she could not.

I guess I must've been about eight or ten years old. My dad was always a good job-holder, but one time he got fired. As a service manager, it was one of those "captain of the ship" things where he wasn't at fault, but had to accept responsibility. So he found himself between jobs until he could secure another one. Still stuck in my mind is the scene where my parents were driving around, trying to figure out where they would spend their last $20 bill on groceries. That's what they were down to, temporarily.

Well said! I agree, and my apologies for taking the thread a bit off-topic.

My parents went through incredibly hard times, especially in the 1970's, when I was really young. I remember them being down to their last dollar a time or two; my mom actually got food stamps for a short time, but they were seriously embarrassed and ashamed about that. It's odd though, going through that didn't seem to make them generous. I think it hardened them a little. If they went through it and survived, then they didn't have much sympathy for others who weren't tough enough to buckle down and walk barefoot through hell.

I miss my dad, and I'm a lot like him in some ways, but I resolve to be very different from him in others.

my mom actually got food stamps for a short time, but they were seriously embarrassed and ashamed about that.
Yup. Remember my Dad lost his job in '74 after 19 years. He was distraught about having to file for unemployment.

Those were the Greatest Generation.

The 70's were kinda rough, dad passed in '70, all we had was a meager amount of Social Security survivor benefits. I can remember rolling Pennie's to buy pasta for dinner. Somehow, mom always held things together, even when she didn't have two nickels to rub together.

That taught me to be careful with finances, be sure to maintain an emergency fund, and don't be frivolous with buying things. Also taught me to maintain a sufficient food supply, just in case.

i have bought primers recently at Sportsmans and Bimart. in albany, yesterday Bimart had lots of primers on the shelf. i didn't check prices but looked to be a good quantity and several different brands. so is the primer drought over?
We wish but sadly no, most places are only getting them about every month or two and even then it's mostly small pistol or small rifle primers.

i have bought primers recently at Sportsmans and Bimart. in albany, yesterday Bimart had lots of primers on the shelf. i didn't check prices but looked to be a good quantity and several different brands. so is the primer drought over?
Our Bimart here in potland has one of their primers at $10.00/100. Don't what it is but suspect it's LP Magnum. Glad I don't have to worry about it for a long time.

Got this from Powder Valley today.
Screenshot_20240112_071838_Gmail.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top