JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a rat problem in an apartment I once lived in.
Then one of these guys caught the scent....

View attachment 458265

Sat in my living room and listened to newborn babies scream for their lives while that guy routed them out and ate them on the spot.
10 minutes later, no mo rat problem.

Dean

This is true, we have mountains behind us and field behind and rats would come in and it was a batter every year.
Two years ago we got a resident Racoon and no more rats.

365824-90c9acbfa66910343fb162e5675a738d.png 365822-b0994220daf32629f9b9705d0685d87d.jpg

Couple of inexpensive air rifles you can buy at Walmart. First is a Crosman Model 760. This is a multi pump rifle. 8 pumps will take a day if shot in the head. Please note th at this one is a smooth bore, as it is made for shooting BB's AND pellets. Mine is way more accurate at 7 yards with pellets, while, at that distance, it throws BB's all over. With a smooth bore barrel, it won't be much good past 7-10 yards. But, at 7 it shoots the Crosman Premier Super Match pellets about equally as well as my second suggestion. I have a decent 4 power air gun scope on mine, and have a mount for a small red LED flashlight on it, and I use it to shoot rats at 7 yards that go into our chicken coop at night. Look at the one that does not come with a scope, as that scope is a POS. My scope is a Winchester 4 power with an adjustable objective. If you want to scope it, you will need that feature to get your target (rat) in focus at such close ranges. The red LED won't spook the critter as bad as a white light. Next suggestion. A new, unscoped Daisy Model 880. Same type of gun, but with a rifled barrel.Again, I use 8 pumps with mine. Most 880 owners say these are quite accurate to 15-25 yards. Mine is not. But, it shoots about on par to my Crosman 760. My 880 seems to do next with the RW S Basic pellets. These guns won't be as loud or as overpowered as most spring piston break barrel models. Either the 880 or the 760 can be bought for $35-$46. Both have open sights if that would work for you. A scope with rings (for 3/8 dovetail, same as most.22 long rifles use), maybe $35-$40. Red LED flashlight, about $9. On a budget? Use rubber bands to mount the light. These two are about as cheap as one can get into airguns. They have a lotofplastic, but I have fired over 2000 pellets through that 760 with zero problems. Live them on the pump head seals every 100 shots or so. Experiment with different pellets to see which is the mist accurate, but start with the ones I suggested above. Both of these guns of mine are picky about which pellets they shoot the best. Aight it in at whatever di as distance you plan to bag this critter at, and go get it. You may well find virgins open up a whole new area of enjoyment to you, and you might want more expensive virgins in the future. I like the multi pump let's as they are self contained, and you control the power and velocity by using more or less pumps. Usually 3-10. I use 8 for hunting rats.

You may well find virgins open up a whole new area of enjoyment to you, and you might want more expensive virgins in the future. I like the multi pump let's as they are self contained, and you control the power and velocity by using more or less pumps

Thats going in the out of context thread. Autocorrect is a mother sometimes...:D

I know the ghillie suit, war paint, and a nice air gun seem way more manly, but I have had great success with the 5gal drowning traps. Seriously, I catch about 1-2 a night and when I first put them up I was getting 6-7 a night.

You need some 2x4s, a 5gal bucket, some wire, a beer can, and some peanut butter. Put some water at the bottom so you don't have to worry about dispatching them all.

For your sake, don't quit your day job.:eek:

Carefully Pull bullets from .22 LR ammo.
Get some hard candle wax, melt and pour into the now open .22 cases.
Let harden - you now have 'old school' rat/small varmint non-destructive ammo.

Any .177 that will shoot dime groups at 10yds will kill any rat size vermin. The dime size groups relates to pellet placement ie. in the head. No body shot will quickly dispatch a critter.

My Crosman Model 760 and Daisy Model 880 will do dime sized groups at seven yards. At seven, they have rat hunting accuracy. If pushed out to ten yards, I can't really count on dime sized groups. But that's fine for my ratting purposes, and I have dispatched maybe 15 rats at that distance shooting at night with a red flashlight. The original poster mentions the importance of a low priced airgun. The 760 and 880 can do the job for not much cash output. I have more accurate air rifles, but for the money these two are good choices to get into ratting. Also, the break barrels are way harder to shoot dime sized groups with due to their unique two way recoil that is hard to master, and their reputation for destroying scopes is a negative too. My Crosman Phantom magnum level will destroy even an airgun scope, will make the scope and mounts move on the scope rails even with scope stop pin.

Birdmove mentioned break action spring powered pellet guns (btw, never lose that cellphone dude. That post was both informative AND entertaining! :D).
My brother and his wife live in town and with neighbors less than a stone's throw away, using a .22 is out of the question (can't shoot in Kidnap county anymore anyway, unless an approved range).
Back in the 50's, my dad bought a spring powered break action pellet gun when he was stationed in Japan.
Although Dad has been gone for some time now, we kept the gun and my brother borrowed it after his wife noticed grey squirrels causing havoc in their garden.
A little WD-40 shot down the cylinder to lube the piston and the gun shoots like new.
Rifled barrel + the screw top flat tin of pellets my brother bought for that gun back in the 60's and Annie Oakley knocks those bushy tailed 'tards at around 15-20 yards like Pete Weber at a bowling alley.
I was impressed she could shoot that well! I guess where there's a will, there's a way. :D

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads