JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some years ago I somehow got a skunk problem -- I got a basic break barrel in .22 (I think it does 700 or 800 FPS) and that solved my issue. I think even that would be overkill for rats inside -- the pellets can easily pass through 1/4" plywood, but get stopped with 1/2" ply.

High speed video of pellets against stick deodorant -- maybe rat ballistic gel? ;-)

Packrats are notoriously hard to catch too, I use a Havahart style trap and spread some peanut butter on the catch--
Place we used to live we kept having a hell of a time with Roof Rats. At first a Havahart with P butter would get them. Got to where they started avoided the damn trap. Next went to poison. Worked but some times one would die up there in the damn attic. Finally got them cleared in the house, kept seeing them in the yard trying to get in. Started buying some human grade catnip. Not sure what the hell people do with it, tea maybe? Anyway local cats would go NUTS for it. Would put some in the drive, many cats would show up. Soon no more rats being seen in the yard. Benefits of cat, no buying any food for them :)

.177 is fine for rats & such, but .22 and even .25 is better for larger game. But .177 has a supersonic crack downstream from the muzzle.

Wrong on the .177, if it's going supersonic, you're either using too light a pellet in a PCP, or there's something wrong with your springer. Or you're using those stupid ultra-light Gamo abortions that were invented to suck ignorant people into the "faster is better" mind-set. That said, an inexpensive springer would certainly do the job, but don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be easy to shoot, even at short range, because it's "just a BB gun". There's a technique to it that you have to learn if you want to be able to shoot groups rather than patterns.

I'd suggest a CO2 powered BB pistol, actual steel BB's, not pellets. Cheap, accurate enough, and effective on small rodents, I've gone on many a "mouse safari" in my chicken house with one over the years. Keep in mind, BB's are way more ricochet prone than lead pellets, so don't forget the eye pro. Good luck.

Dave

0B7D857B-8463-48D1-B804-5CF2E0EE6212.jpeg
Get some of these—they're actually quieter than my Crosman 760 when shot out of my Henry levergun. Strong rat medicine.

Wrong on the .177, if it's going supersonic, you're either using too light a pellet in a PCP, or there's something wrong with your springer. Or you're using those stupid ultra-light Gamo abortions that were invented to suck ignorant people into the "faster is better" mind-set. That said, an inexpensive springer would certainly do the job, but don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be easy to shoot, even at short range, because it's "just a BB gun". There's a technique to it that you have to learn if you want to be able to shoot groups rather than patterns.

Wow, I've slept since then. I'm not going to back and read the entire thread, but I believe my comment was about shooting pests quietly in a neighborhood.

Listen, I'm not an airgun guru. Certainly not a super duper airgun competition shooter! What I'm saying is that a lot of people buy what is for sale down at Walmart or on Amazon. And I'm not using any .177 at all. I use a Hatsan .22 springer because I shoot racoon sized pests.

But most currently advertised springer .177 rifles are specifying speeds of 1250fps... admittedly with lightweight pellets, but how does that make what I wrote "wrong"?

BTW, my groups are fine, thank you very much. I use an artillery hold. Maybe you want to school the OP or others you should think about separating your statements with more than a "That said,".

Here's just a few examples of supersonic rated pellet rifles (in addition to the five six Gamo rifles listed):

https://www.amazon.com/Winchester-1...+pellet+guns&qid=1556639000&s=gateway&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.com/HATSON-Model...+pellet+guns&qid=1556639103&s=gateway&sr=8-27

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-6110068...+pellet+guns&qid=1556639164&s=gateway&sr=8-32

Last Edited:
A Crosman 1322 can be configured with a carbine stock and a TKO muzzle device to make a very quiet airgun. With a 14 inch barrel it is very handy in close quarters. Even the 1377 is very acceptable in the same configuration. However, be warned it can be 'barbied up' and so you will need to resist the temptation to open your wallet or use up your fun money!

As I said earlier the berretta PX4 storm with some nice gamo superiors and the rats will go away you can get one for 100 bucks at sporting goods stores. Shoots pellets and bb's and fore those worried about noise and neighbor complaints my personal favorite silent hunter below.

20190430_094903.jpg

Wow, I've slept since then. I'm not going to back and read the entire thread, but I believe my comment was about shooting pests quietly in a neighborhood.

Listen, I'm not an airgun guru. Certainly not a super duper airgun competition shooter! What I'm saying is that a lot of people buy what is for sale down at Walmart or on Amazon. And I'm not using any .177 at all. I use a Hatsan .22 springer because I shoot racoon sized pests.

But most currently advertised springer .177 rifles are specifying speeds of 1250fps... admittedly with lightweight pellets, but how does that make what I wrote "wrong"?

BTW, my groups are fine, thank you very much. I use an artillery hold. Maybe you want to school the OP or others you should think about separating your statements with more than a "That said,".

Here's just a few examples of supersonic rated pellet rifles (in addition to the five six Gamo rifles listed):

https://www.amazon.com/Winchester-1...+pellet+guns&qid=1556639000&s=gateway&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.com/HATSON-Model...+pellet+guns&qid=1556639103&s=gateway&sr=8-27

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-6110068...+pellet+guns&qid=1556639164&s=gateway&sr=8-32

I AM a bit of an airgun guru, or at least I was until fairly recently. In more than 10 years of being heavily focused on air guns, I went from just shooting the cheap springers, to tuning them, then moving to better quality guns, then on to modding and even building CO2 and PCP rifles. So yeah, I know a little more about air guns than the average bear :rolleyes:.

Perhaps I should have said, that's wrong if you actually want to be able to hit what you're shooting at, and not destroy your rifle in short order. The only reason air rifles are "rated" for 1200+ FPS is sales hype, to make sales to folks that don't know anything about air rifle projectiles. By its design, the diabolo style lead airgun pellet is a high drag, sub-sonic projectile, think badminton birdie vs. jet fighter. It relies on drag to stabilize it, not velocity. Sure, you can push them to supersonic speeds, but they won't stay there long, and the transonic turbulence is going to play hell with accuracy. Also, in a springer, the ultra light pellets can actually cause damage, it's virtually the same as dry firing, which can break main springs and burn piston seals. And yes, I know Gamo (and others, probably) says you can dry fire their rifles, but they're in business to sell more guns, not help you get the most out of the one you have, or prolong its life. If you don't believe that, try ordering parts from them :mad:. Properly fed and cared for, even a cheap springer can last for years, treat them like the toy most folks think they are, and you'll be lucky to get them to last a year, even with a top tier rifle.

Good groups using the artillery hold, that's exactly what I meant when I said proper technique was needed. As to using a .22 for raccoon size critters, you do realize you're still only getting in the mid-20's for muzzle energy, don't you? Adequate at short range and with proper shot placement, but still not even close to what a standard velocity .22 LR does. To get real power out of an air rifle, you need to get away from the spring piston power plant and move to the PCP's, but that's a conversation for another time and thread. Later.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Packrats are notoriously hard to catch too, I use a Havahart style trap and spread some peanut butter on the catch--
+1 on the peanut butter. Chunky provides enticing little treasures the critters work to pry loose, tickling the catch. They're generally attracted to beer dribbles in can/bottle recycling crates too. Great place to locate a trap in the garage.

And speaking of beer... To my limited understanding (based solely on a chat at a weekend get-together), non-NFA stamped silencers are okay on BB/pellet guns and some are even built in. Experts weigh in please. True?

In my own abodes, I've stopped mice (typically smaller than rats) with 500-800 fps pump BB guns, and they retained the projectiles.

I've always wondered how a quick burst from a 500 fps full auto airsoft gun might do. Anyone here ever try it?

Last Edited:
+1 on the peanut butter. Chunky provides little treasures to pry loose, tickling the catch. They're generally attracted to beer dribbles in can/bottle recycling crates too. Great place to locate a trap in the garage.

And speaking of beer... To my limited understanding (based solely on a chat last weekend), non-NFA stamped silencers are okay on BB/pellet guns and some are even built in. Experts weigh in please. True?

In my own abodes, I've stopped mice (typically smaller than rats) with 500-800 fps pump BB guns, and they retained the projectiles.

I've always wondered how a quick burst from a 500 fps full auto airsoft gun might do. Anyone here ever try it?

BATFE has specifically addressed silenced air guns, and the bottom line is, yes, they're legal, but with a bunch of limitations. Basically, it needs to be a permanent part of the air gun, or it can't be readily installed on a firearm. I've made a few over the years, JUST for air guns, the removable ones I threaded 1/2"-20. The other way guys deal with it is using low strength materials, thin carbon fiber tubing and plastic vs. heavy welded steel. There's no heat and very little gas volume, even compared to a lowly .22 LR, so they work fine. Not very effective on springers, most of their noise comes from the action, they just seem noisy because your head is right next to all the mechanical stuff slamming around. But on PCP's, they can make a huge difference. I can comfortably shoot my shrouded Benjamin Marauder .25 in my shop without ear pro, but pull the shroud, and it sounds about the same as a .22 pistol. And that's not really one of the better examples.

Like so many things, it really comes down to intent. A pop bottle is just a pop bottle, until you tape it onto the end of a gun barrel. At that point, intent kicks in, and you'd be just as hosed as if you'd made a fully functional one out of steel, but without the tax stamp and Form 1 (?). In the OP's circumstance, it really isn't a factor.

Don't know much about Air Soft, but those plastic BB's are designed NOT to break skin, so I doubt it would be very effective, unless you're intent is to just drive it off. A frozen paint ball would likely be a better choice, especially if you hit it in the head. Later.

Dave

A Crosman 1322 can be configured with a carbine stock and a TKO muzzle device to make a very quiet airgun. With a 14 inch barrel it is very handy in close quarters. Even the 1377 is very acceptable in the same configuration. However, be warned it can be 'barbied up' and so you will need to resist the temptation to open your wallet or use up your fun money!
Re the 1322, I bought one from crosmans custom shop with a lothar walther match grade barrel 11". I added a TKO and upgraded valve to boost power. Cost was around $200 total and u could put a pellet through the same hole every single time at 20 yards (bench rested with good pellets). Took over 1000 animals with that gun.

Marauder pistol with tko is another good option.

If u don't live in town a .22 with suppressor and suppressor ammo such as federal subsonic is at least as quiet if not more so.

Last Edited:
This may sound like a joke, but I'm really asking an actual question....

The OP asked about a quiet airgun. Now that I think about it, is there a loud one?
I realize some types are probably quieter than others (CO2 vs spring, for instance....wait...do they still make CO2 guns?), but are some models for any given type quieter than any others...AND, is it enough of a difference to really worry about?

...really!

Dean

And the answer is, yes, there are some loud ones, and even some VERY loud ones. And yes, they do still make CO2 guns, and they can sometimes be exactly the right tool for the job. Many of the more common PCP airguns have a pretty good crack to them, I'd say on par with a .22 LR pistol. And some of the truly powerful big bores, I'm talking air rifles capable of taking large game, deer and up, are just as loud as a typical center fire rifle.

In general, spring piston rifles are the quietest, followed by CO2, then a steadily increasing noise level with PCP's as caliber and power go up. So yes, it's very much enough of a difference to worry about. Later.

Dave

Stands for Pre-Charged Pneumatic. They have an on-board air reservoir, typical charge rate is 3000 PSI, but some of the really powerful ones go as high as 4500 PSI, and run on helium. Keeping them filled with air is the challenge, the usual methods are a hand pump that looks like a bicycle pump, SCUBA or SCBA tanks, the latter being a better choice as they are higher pressure and can hold a lot more air, a high pressure air compressor (not cheap!), or what I did for years, an industrial nitrogen cylinder, think large welding type tank, but filled with 4500 PSI nitrogen. The cost of support equipment scares a lot of folks off the PCP's, it's pretty easy to spend as much on getting air in the darn things as you do for the rifle. Of course, it's pretty much a one time expense, and as you add rifles, the cost goes down. At my highest, I think I had 5 or 6, plus parts and pieces on hand to cobble together a couple more. It can add up quick, a decent rifle starts at around $500, $1000 isn't uncommon, and they continue to go up from there. Frankly, firearms are a lot cheaper, even if you factor in the much higher ammo cost. But the air guns have an appeal all their own, especially if you live somewhere that makes shooting a challenge. Later.

Dave

Man, I guess!
...and these aren't like competition guns, are they.
seems like a lot of trouble (and cost) for am airgun.....but I've never fired one either and like you say, they have their own appeal.

Dean

And the answer is, yes, there are some loud ones, and even some VERY loud ones. And yes, they do still make CO2 guns, and they can sometimes be exactly the right tool for the job. Many of the more common PCP airguns have a pretty good crack to them, I'd say on par with a .22 LR pistol. And some of the truly powerful big bores, I'm talking air rifles capable of taking large game, deer and up, are just as loud as a typical center fire rifle.

In general, spring piston rifles are the quietest, followed by CO2, then a steadily increasing noise level with PCP's as caliber and power go up. So yes, it's very much enough of a difference to worry about. Later.

Dave

Right on the money. I had a Benjamin discovery that was modified for more power at Mac1 airguns and that thing was so loud I think I shot it maybe 3 times. It had a custom Lothar Walther Barrel so I couldn't put a standard diameter TKO muzzle brake on it (the TKO may have solved the problem but with that much gas going out teh barrel I doubt it). Also add in the sonic boom crack from the pellet and it was like shooting a high velocity 22 round. Way too loud for in town or neighbor friendly. Note that a standard velocity Marauder or Discovery with TKO is really quiet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top