Oregon Arms & Ammunition
J&B Firearm Sales
Sporting Systems
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Oregon Rifleworks

Looking for a quiet airgun for indoor pest control

Reactions
So I got this friend, who has got this rat. now this rat is a swarmy bastid and is evading all the carefully placed traps he has placed and for some reason will NOT eat the poison that has been set out for him. He is now getting desperate and is thinking on getting a air gun to go and send this rat to rat heaven. Any recommendations that are on the low cost side

OP
mrblond
Reactions
Hes got some .22 shorts and a henry .22 but He doesnt need that much power, He thinks the shot would be close range, like 10 feet our under. .22 rat shot is something to consider though

bbbass

Reactions
Define low budget. Walmart has many air rifles for sale. I bought a Hatsan Mod 85 on Amazon for a little over $110 and am very very happy with it. It's .22cal, subsonic, and great for pests up to medium size (possum size, etc)

Taco_lean

Reactions
Hes got some .22 shorts and a henry .22 but He doesnt need that much power, He thinks the shot would be close range, like 10 feet our under. .22 rat shot is something to consider though
.22 ratshot may not kill it on the spot, which may lead to it during in the walls! Yuck. Any revolvers you could load up with earshot? .38? 10' is close enough it should work.

OP
mrblond
Reactions
Define low budget. Walmart has many air rifles for sale. I bought a Hatsan Mod 85 on Amazon for a little over $110 and am very very happy with it. It's .22cal, subsonic, and great for pests up to medium size (possum size, etc)
I was thinking something sub $150, but the cheaper the better.

bbbass

Reactions
I was thinking something sub $150, but the cheaper the better.
K... like I mentioned, WalMart has a bunch of them usually. Some are over $200 but I wouldn't pay that.

.177 is fine for rats & such, but .22 and even .25 is better for larger game. But .177 has a supersonic crack downstream from the muzzle.

Reactions
I bought a Remington 22 break action from CDNN a few months ago with silencer and scope for 69.00 but it is as powerful as a 22 sub sonic. Also bought a factory refurbished Gamo 177 from Midway with silencer and scope for 89.00, also quite powerful. Both are wood stock good looking rifles. CDNN still has the Remington for 99.00 only in .177 and Midway has a bunch for under 100.00 or so.

Last edited:
OP
mrblond
Reactions
I bought a Remington 22 break action from CDNN a few months ago with silencer and scope for 69.00 but it is as powerful as a 22 sub sonic. Also bought a factory refurbished Gamo 177 from Midway with silencer and scope for 89.00, also quite powerful. Both are wood stock good looking rifles.
I am going to have to check Midway out, I been mostly shopping Amazon

OP
mrblond
Reactions
Put some glue traps close to some walls where it runs.
I have good pellet pistols that I've used on indoor rats in the house.. perfect power level.
Barring that, I'd make some paraffin slugs powered by a primer out of a handgun. Those will kill it. Or you could buy reusable slugs..

Speer - Plastic Training Bullets
gluetraps have been done, seems to avoid getting stuck. seen little foot prints on it as well.

2Wheels4Ever

Reactions
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2015
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Howdy Y'all
I know the ghillie suit, war paint, and a nice air gun seem way more manly, but I have had great success with the 5gal drowning traps. Seriously, I catch about 1-2 a night and when I first put them up I was getting 6-7 a night.

You need some 2x4s, a 5gal bucket, some wire, a beer can, and some peanut butter. Put some water at the bottom so you don't have to worry about dispatching them all.

Reactions
So I got this friend, who has got this rat. now this rat is a swarmy bastid and is evading all the carefully placed traps he has placed and for some reason will NOT eat the poison that has been set out for him. He is now getting desperate and is thinking on getting a air gun to go and send this rat to rat heaven. Any recommendations that are on the low cost side
I live on 16 acres in Beaverton, Moles and rats are a problem, So I purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm pellet gun.
This semi auto pistol fires at 450FPS, I use gammo pellets and trust me at 15 to 20 feet it will drop a rat!. The semi auto fire makes it easy to drop 8 rounds just as fast as yo can pull the trigger. It features a 16 round mag and it has reduced my problems by 70 percent in the last year. Do not underestimate this hand gun it is accurate and I can ping rats or moles, I have even used it to butt shot coyotes to keep them from chasing my dogs. It can be purchased at most sporting good stores and uses a 12 gram C02 cartridge, and I can get 60 shots before changing C02, they run $100 bucks

I also have a beretta M92a1 pistol that goes full auto and drops 18 rounds in 1.5 seconds, no more rat!.

Check them out, the M92a1 I purchased from Pyramid air.

Flymph

Reactions
  • Howdy Y'all
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
Blow guns are fairly inexpensive and easy to pick up. They’re also fun to shoot beer cans with!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Oakanogan Gun Show
Oakanogan County Fairgrounds
175 Rodeo Trail, Okanogan, WA 98840, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is awesome. He's helped me with two Form 4 transfers so far. I live 45 minutes away and happily make the drive to support such a great vendor!
  • TJ Gun Sales
    2.00 star(s)
    My form 4 cleared on 04/10/2020 I had to fight tooth and nail for TJ's to find my tax stamp. There was never any urgency or concern in their...
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent service
  • 36 Pit
    3.00 star(s)
    I'm probably just reiterating what others have said, but I like hearing (seeing) myself speak. This gets 3 stars because when the place isn't...
  • Cascade Loan & Sporting Goods
    3.00 star(s)
    I am giving this review because at one time I was a really big customer there. Back in the day, I bought at least a dozen used guns from Cascade...
Top Bottom