JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
looking for a decent scope for a .223 bolt action rifle what's out there for $250 or less? Looking to shoot between 250-300 yards maybe more if I find a good spot with the range. Also what would be better 1st or 2nd focalplane

Look into primary arms. Lots of scopes in that price range with great reticles for the 223/556.

Shame they no longer make their R Grid reticle anymore. It's my fave. Right up there with Vortexes XLR reticle

looking for a decent scope for a .223 bolt action rifle what's out there for $250 or less? Looking to shoot between 250-300 yards maybe more if I find a good spot with the range. Also what would be better 1st or 2nd focalplane

I thought you already asked this question? Maybe not. I'll offer this advice, you can take it for what it's worth. However, I'd like to see you get your 12fv up and running, if this is what its going on.. I've been messing around with a Burris MSR 223 rifle scope and am thoroughly enjoying it. I got the one with the ballistic plex reticle in a 4.5-14x42. The more I use it, the more I am glad I bought it. Here's a pic of it on my Savage predator:
1qGjuNS.jpg

That scope holds zero like nobodies business and focuses in very crisp and clear. Here's how well it holds zero:
QxUlqug.jpg
I'm actually thinking about buying another one for a new 6.5 creedmoor...

Furthermore, for the ranges you are thinking about using your rifle, you'll be just fine with the second focal plane...

250-300 yards in the daylight won't tax the ability of your scope and it's a good thing, cuz $250 doesn't go very far when looking at glass.
Leupold still offers the 3-9x40 Rifleman for about $250 retail. I bought one and put it on a 375 Ruger. Nothing fancy, but it had better low light clarity than other scopes and binocs in that price range.
I've also bought good scopes, with great warranties, used. I paid about half for a Leupold VX-II because it had light ring marks and didn't come with a box.

I have Truglo (yep!) Omnia6 on my RDB-17 and I really like it.
Adjustments are crisp, illuminated All Purpose Tactical Reticle can be used as a red dot (well, sort of it) if needed.
It came with solid mount and still holding zero after 500+ rounds.
4d2a201954da55308246d7a1a826a186.png
a8942e68c2cd237f634227479b40c861.png
z-RaQfaMNzk.jpg

Last Edited:
looking for a decent scope for a .223 bolt action rifle what's out there for $250 or less to shoot between 250-300 yards maybe more if I find a good spot with the range. Also what would be better 1st or 2nd focalplane

Check out the Burris ED1, 4.5-14-42. Online for about $230 shipped. Lifetime warranty, decent glass.

I just picked up a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 at Sportsman's Warehouse for $199.99. It looks pretty nice, sharp and clear, has side focus parallax adjustment, dead hold BDC reticle and Vortex much ballyhooed warranty. My son is planning to mount it on an old Savage 111 in .300 Win. Mag.
Vortex Diamondback HP Rifle Scopes

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads