JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says, I'm just looking for a budget standing spotting scope (not rifle scope). I shoot .223 and 22lr at 100 yards. I 'might' do 200 yards someday, but not more. Been thinking something basic like Simmons from Walmart/Cabelas, etc. I've seen for $60-$80.

Amazon had some Emarth that sells well: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010FAUJ46/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A1NIEONOUXU8K5&psc=1

I'm leaning toward trying the Emarth and return if not visible. Anyone have recommendations for something you can see the holes at 100 yards without spending a ton?

Also:
  1. Decent eye relief so you don't have to take off shooting glasses? Can that be had for less than $100?
  2. Any ideas of 'cheaper' stands than a typical tripod. I'd love to be able to tilt it 90' on it's side so I can use it prone without getting up to look down in it. But not looking to spend $300 on a scope stand.
  3. What do you prefer, angled or straight eye piece?

I've seen some threads, but nothing more recent.

Last Edited:
We use Konus spotting scopes. I found a couple used on eBay for $80-100. They work good for 100 yards and watching mirage long range.

You want an angled eyepiece and a body that can rotate on the scope. Not all spotting scopes have a body that can rotate.

A decent scope stand is harder to find than a scope. You want a 1" rod at least. Lightweight flimsy stands don't work well. Creedmoor has a basic stand for $200 that works ok. The Cadillac stands are the Gearbuggy or Polecat.

Seeing 22 cal holes at 200 yards can be near impossible on some targets or lighting conditions, even with the best scopes.

We use Konus spotting scopes. I found a couple used on eBay for $80-100. They work good for 100 yards and watching mirage long range.

You want an angled eyepiece and a body that can rotate on the scope. Not all spotting scopes have a body that can rotate.

A decent scope stand is harder to find than a scope. You want a 1" rod at least. Lightweight flimsy stands don't work well. Creedmoor has a basic stand for $200 that works ok. The Cadillac stands are the Gearbuggy or Polecat.

Seeing 22 cal holes at 200 yards can be near impossible on some targets or lighting conditions, even with the best scopes.
Thanks a ton! Great info. This helps a lot. I'll see about an 'twistable' scope rather than the shooting stand.

I'll also look at Konus, that has come up a bit, but seems spendy.

I've had great luck with the simmons 20-60x straight viewfinder one. Everything from whales, birds, planets to targets. cost was $49.99 on sale at Cabelas. Light years better than the vortex one I bought and returned from Sportsmans warehouse that was $260ish. As in twice as good probably. 20X is excellent, 40x is ok, 60x is pretty poor. Others on here have had the same experience with this scope. Can't speak to the angled viewfinder version, only the straight viewfinder one.

I went thru the same dance routine some decades past.
Too poor/stubborn to admit my 1st 'good deal' really wasn't.
Then there was a deal-then-$300 Bushnell was a great step upward, for a while. Each time I saved money it only added to my frustration & ever upward cost of yet-another scope.
The the optical flaws & color distortion began to nag at me. Each step was a few months or maybe a year until
reality & my sad eyesight would collide.

Finally came across a used Swarovski AT80 for a lottabux.
Absolutely magnificent. Camera stand with fancy Italian trigger grip 90* rotator for scope, just the thing for sitting/standing/bench next to you with enough offset to see target as well as manipulate rifle.
I've scoped everything from range work/hunting/actual Rings of Saturn & some of its moons. Yes it gives great 22 hole resolution at 100 yards. the 20-60 eyepiece alone was more than my rent used to be.
Besides use enjoyment, it saved me from having to buy yet another & anther/etc scope over the last 20+ years.
Good luck with your search. I saved a lot more money & frustration after I quit buying the cheap stuff I thought I could afford better.

A decent scope stand is harder to find than a scope. You want a 1" rod at least.
+1 on the Tripod. More important actually than the Scope itself. I got a Leopold Scope a few years ago for around $400 but it was unusable with the stand that came with it. Used a rigid photography Tripod with it and its 1,000 percent better!

At the Trout Lake annual community rummage sale (Labor Day weekend), I found a like-new Celestron C90 telescope with eyepieces in its case for $40. And a professional grade Slik tripod at Goodwill for $20. I added a $25 adapter to let it use standard 1 1/4" eyepieces so I could use my existing 45 degree diagonal, 2X Barlow and various telescope eyepieces. Results are outstanding - crisp, clear and steady view of 100 yard shots at the local range. With it being a Maksutov Cassegrain optical design, it's tiny, capable of high power (crisp to nearly 100X) and no false color or fringing. Drastically better than the Tasco 12-45x50 with tripod for $10 at the same rummage sale.

Keep an eye out for these. Even shopgoodwill.com, ebay, Craigslist and such have them pop up.

I have a Konus that I bought at Big 5 for around $150. It has worked well for me. If that's too much, look at this one...it has good reviews.

Celestron Brand on Amazon and such are supposed to be pretty decent for their price point.

Thanks all,

I went with the Simmons Blazer (linked by @Kruel J above) from Big 5, ended up being $69.99, $79 sale plus $10 coupon. Tripod sucks (flimsy) and replaced it, but the scope seems very clear! Going to get it to the range soon.

Thanks all,

I went with the Simmons Blazer (linked by @Kruel J above) from Big 5, ended up being $69.99, $79 sale plus $10 coupon. Tripod sucks (flimsy) and replaced it, but the scope seems very clear! Going to get it to the range soon.
Yep any tripod included with lower end scopes are pretty much junk I've found. That $260 vortex one had a small tripod and it was trash. The key is the glass. My Simmons scope has had some fairly hard use over many years and has held up fwiw.

Bogen 3021 tripod & Bogen 3765 head. My original use was a serious camera hobby. These were regarded as serious amateur gear 30 years ago. At least for predigital bodies & heavy glass. They have performed without flaw since new. Get yourself a suitable bag with shoulder strap as well.

This swivel head moves in all planes easily due to the large gripping lever similar to the old H&K P9 cocker.
Tripod has small locking levers at all extensions. Adj from knee level to above shoulder.

As a follow-up, that Simmons Blazer scope works awesome. At 100 yards I didn't even have to zoom it in to maybe 35 power to see my shots. So the 20x60-60mm was perfect. Works well with both sun and low light. Heck even worked when it was lightly raining.

It seems clear and when it was on sale was the perfect price, only cost me $75.

On a side note I paired it with the Amazon basics tripod for about $30 and that's great.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top