JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Late last year I purchased my first bolt action rifle. I bought a Sig Cross in .308. I am ultimately looking for a lightweight scope, that's kind of my #1 feature, as I want this to be super lightweight for backpacking, or if/when I ever go hunting. I want a scope with a 14-15x magnification, something for about 500 yards. I'd also like something with nice glass. I was recommended the Leupold VX Freedom series. But would also like other options. TIA!

I guess I should have mentioned my price range. Looking to spend around $500-$800 on a scope.

Sorry, totally didn't read your purpose. If you're looking for a hunting scope, I wouldn't go that high in magnification. 3-9x is the gold standard. My hunting rifle has a Leupold VX6 2-12x. 9x is more than sufficient for 500 yards and less. Heck, I'm pretty sure the Marines qualify with irons at that range.

Leupold makes good stuff, and they're local. Take a look at the SWFA line in both standard and HD.

Sorry, totally didn't read your purpose. If you're looking for a hunting scope, I wouldn't go that high in magnification. 3-9x is the gold standard. My hunting rifle has a Leupold VX6 2-12x. 9x is more than sufficient for 500 yards and less. Heck, I'm pretty sure the Marines qualify with irons at that range.

Leupold makes good stuff, and they're local. Take a look at the SWFA line in both standard and HD.
Appreciate that. I've never been hunting or really know much about it. But I'd like to have the opportunity when it comes. Have a rifle ready. I'll start looking at scopes at the 9x as well then, as I've only really been looking at 14-15x. I'm the type of person that likes to be REALLY zoomed in lol. Oh I'm sure the Marines do!

That's a little on the heavy side. I appreciate the input and I'll look into that scope as well.
Weight factor, Leupold hands down. Though the feature sets add $$$ with Leopold. Most of their stuff is in MOA using plane reticles, if you want a tree reticle and open turrets or even MIL based from Leupold the price triples.

Right in your price range. I don't believe that the Leupold dials are repeatable enough for dialing range. For hunting applications it's easy to estimate drop at that range.

Get a set of @Warne rings and you'll be set.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top