JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What about Wyoming?
Wyoming would be workable I think, but I wouldn't want to go any further east than that. Family still behind the lines here, y'see. Although that may be becoming less of a consideration since they've mostly all disowned me now because of my refusal to get vaccinated (except my brother in Nampa and his daughter in Meridian). Colorado is already in the process of tipping over into the blue goo. So it's pretty much limited to Idaho, Montana or maybe Wyoming.

That might be far enough to get away from the caifornicators,the hipsters and the bums. I dont think they like those areas at all.
The problem is, the progressives here that are trying so hard to reproduce California here, will remain in control of the legislature and probably the governorship as well, and will increasingly try to impose their will on the entire state. Greater Idaho is a terrific idea and if it actually happened I'd be retiring to the Blue Mountains someplace, but I give it zero chance of ever happening. The Oregon and Washington legislatures just won't be willing to give up that much area.

Lived in John Day and would not again, can't stand the winter inversions, worse than Missoula almost as bad as Boise. Green Dot system for road closure was implemented by ODF way back in the eighties. Highway 395, the drug runners highway from Mexico to Canada. Yep it is remote, NOT!

That might be far enough to get away from the caifornicators,the hipsters and the bums. I dont think they like those areas at all.
I wish you were right, but unfortunately it is changing rapidly. Start with La Grande. Definite influx of new liberal class, primarily due to the university and what it attracts. And the real irony is liberals are moving there so their young children can be in a better school district than they were getting in Portland or Seattle. For a real eye-opener check our La Grande's little suburb of Cove to see how starkly things are changing. The other one is Baker City. Baker
City has "cache" with liberal Portlanders. You'd be amazed how much property in Baker City is being purchased by people from Portland.

Pretty much all of the PNW has insane housing prices. I looked all last year, Idaho, Montana, etc. For instance, Sandpoint Idaho was great, Ponderay lake was beautiful. Homes are selling for 475k+ and it's a somewhat isolated area from jobs. ( I'm not retired) or anything that Coeur d'Alene has. Then I went all the way up to Glacier NP, checked out Kalispell. Same problem. Montana is just more isolated, plus the winters are brutal. For what it's worth it seemed like a decent area. I would pick Kalispell over Missoula Montana. Missoula sucked. Dry prairie land landlocked in a valley... I liked Post falls ID, the best. Still has some creature comforts while in a nice area.

Plus... another consideration. Some places in Montana, Idaho have no airports. Only Kalispell has Glacier airport. Something to consider when picking a place. For instance, if you lived out in the country near Sandpoint. Spokane Itnl airport is 45 mins to an hour away.

Last Edited:
The problem I have is infrastructure. I would love to live in a place where I can either pee or shoot trap off my deck without having the police show up, but to get that you're going to be on septic, well water, and some manner of craptacular internet service. Then the whole tax mess. ID and MT both have income tax

The problem I have is infrastructure. I would love to live in a place where I can either pee or shoot trap off my deck without having the police show up, but to get that you're going to be on septic, well water, and some manner of craptacular internet service.
This is a prime example of how to choose a spot. A location LACKING these infrastructure "features" is less appealing to snowflakes, and more appealing to clear thinking patriots.

Additionally, the farther distant are universities, resorts, airports, cities with more than a 4-digit population, the better.

This is a prime example of how to choose a spot. A location LACKING these infrastructure "features" is less appealing to snowflakes, and more appealing to clear thinking patriots.

Additionally, the farther distant are universities, resorts, airports, cities with more than a 4-digit population, the better.
Unfortunately for me, I need to be within 30 minutes of a hospital, so I have to compromise.

Realtor in John Day runs ads in the LA Times! Wait for the housing crash before buying in Idaho, Montana etc. Also there is no "cheap" place to live in the Inland West. Tax rates on property in Idaho is based on "market value". Keeps them polis' well fed, clothed and shoed!
Do you think there really be a housing crash in Idaho? Most of the land is public/national forest or agriculture and with the supply and demand going on via transplants, I'm thinking it's not dropping any time soon, but I'm also not an expert, just an observer

My 80+ year old cousin is selling her place outside of Orofino. Overlooking Dvorshak Reservoir. If yer interested I'll send you the realtor link. No I'm not a shill.

And since this is a discussion about retirement, nearby healthcare is a very real concern for most people. Being an hour or more from any sort of a hospital can have its problems.
That's why Spokane/Liberty Lake, N.Idaho are so appealing. Spokane has great healthcare, and 45 minutes to Seattle if things get really serious. Probably why land/housing in those areas is hot.

I just bought the last home available in Boise.

Get out if you can. Sell high in Oregon while you can and buy high in Idaho. i just did it. Oregon will start to drop off before Idaho so sell if you can. Idaho will just keep climbing in prices for a while

My son just moved back to Rathdrum (Coeur d'Alene) from Kentucky. You better jump on it, the housing prices are going nuts. I love the Panhandle and have many friends there. PAX

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top