JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to mention don't be surprised when you gain the attention of local DFW LEOs suspecting you of poaching.

Hardcore hunters don't take kindly to dipbubblegums playing life-action video games either that disrupts game. It wouldn't surprise me if you weren't the first to become a smell in the forest from similar activities. If you think your pvs-14 gives you an advantage to guys that spend months of the year in the field, you're sorely mistaken.
Amen brother the armchair warriors don't even know and just because they saw a youtube video about it 'THEY ARE IN THE KNOW" laughable at best just hope nobody gets hurt .

I know, the idea of actually training with your gear is a foreign concept to some people.
ok, I'm genuinely curious what entails larp/training? what are the rules to the game? ... or do you reenact a scene from a movie? Since this is real guns and live fire how do you safely establish targets and hits etc.?

I will not reply with criticism, I'm just genuinely curious how this LARPing works with live guns and ammo?

ok, I'm genuinely curious what entails larp/training? what are the rules to the game? ... or do you reenact a scene from a movie? Since this is real guns and live fire how do you safely establish targets and hits etc.?

I will not reply with criticism, I'm just genuinely curious how this LARPing works with live guns and ammo?
Yes same here reenactment of old RED DAWN or new RED DAWN ?

No reenacting. You don't play "soldier" it's just practicing using your IR devices and night vision, which is difficult to walk and move under. Generally you have some set targets like steel hangers with a safe backdrop and you have people with IR strobes or other indicators to help identify as well as one shooter at a time and following all the normal range safety rules. You don't go out and shoot random stuff, it's more about learning how to move and reload and be familiar with your equipment. LARPing is more of a joke term as it is important not to take yourself too serious like some stolen valor wannabes or cop try hards.

What kind of question is that? Definitely old lol
Ohhhh yeaaaaa ! Right answer BTW be safe !!!
1667790636299.png

It seems to me LARPing would not in effect be training at all, but more of a fantasy being played out with real guns, and not entirely in a safe manner.

That being said I do not see it as very safe considering the elements involved I.E. night vision equipment, possibly poor target acquisition, a proper backstop not used and what could be improper or unsafe gun handling due to the simple fact of reduced close up sight with night vision equipment.

It seems to me LARPing would not in effect be training at all, but more of a fantasy being played out with real guns, and not entirely in a safe manner.

That being said I do not see it as very safe considering the elements involved I.E. night vision equipment, possibly poor target acquisition, a proper backstop not used and what could be improper or unsafe gun handling due to the simple fact of reduced close up sight with night vision equipment.
Sounds like you don't have experience with decent nv equipment and decently safe shooters. All shooting has inherent risks and would not recommend going with people you don't trust to shoot safety especially under night vision.

Sounds like you don't have experience with decent nv equipment and decently safe shooters.
Actually I have a lot of experience with 'decently safe shooters' - about 50 years of it however my only experience with NV equipment has been in the military.

Regardless I am not the only one responding who believes 'LARPing' (regardless of experience) is inherently safe - no matter how 'decently safe' the shooters are.

If however you carry this out as you have described then I suspect it is much safer than your original post suggested.

I'll leave the safety experience to him, but yeah ditch the "larping" word when it comes to training and I think most would support this idea...

If you do this...
definitely wait till after hunting season, generally all of October and most of November. Plenty of hunters hunt till dark then hike out by headlamp. I know I'm on edge after dark sometimes and running into a bunch of guys in tactical gear would freak me out.

Scout your spot in daylight and find earthen backstops for your target gongs. Some of the spots already mentioned are heavy recreation areas, drive a little farther...

Know that shooting after dark is illegal.

I'll leave the safety experience to him, but yeah ditch the "larping" word when it comes to training and I think most would support this idea...

If you do this...
definitely wait till after hunting season, generally all of October and most of November. Plenty of hunters hunt till dark then hike out by headlamp. I know I'm on edge after dark sometimes and running into a bunch of guys in tactical gear would freak me out.

Scout your spot in daylight and find earthen backstops for your target gongs. Some of the spots already mentioned are heavy recreation areas, drive a little farther...

Shooting after dark is illegal only at night !

I don't know why so much fuddery has already taken place in this thread. Civilians own night vision (and thermal) and being able to use them at night is important if you are actually going to practice with them.

As far as the OP goes. You can walk around in the woods with your gear on without issue, it's the gunfire that can become an issue. I'd see if there is a range nearby that already has some type of night vision scene, or at least the ability to use the range after dark for such a purpose. A range I go to has that ability. If you go out in the woods you'll want to become familiar with laws about gunfire after dark/night. Also be aware that gunfire attracts attention at night a lot more than it does during the day, primarily because most people don't have night vision so their concept of shooting is entirely a daylight activity and people sleeping also won't like it.

As far as backstops go, any backstop that would be ideal for daytime shooting would also work for nighttime shooting.

What's your NV set up?

I don't know why so much fuddery has already taken place in this thread. Civilians own night vision (and thermal) and being able to use them at night is important if you are actually going to practice with them.

As far as the OP goes. You can walk around in the woods with your gear on without issue, it's the gunfire that can become an issue. I'd see if there is a range nearby that already has some type of night vision scene, or at least the ability to use the range after dark for such a purpose. A range I go to has that ability. If you go out in the woods you'll want to become familiar with laws about gunfire after dark/night. Also be aware that gunfire attracts attention at night a lot more than it does during the day, primarily because most people don't have night vision so their concept of shooting is entirely a daylight activity and people sleeping also won't like it.

As far as backstops go, any backstop that would be ideal for daytime shooting would also work for nighttime shooting.

What's your NV set up?
Amen on the amount of fuddery. Safe practices are safe practices day or night. All shooting is suppressed as well. Not "silenced" but significantly better at distance. Gen 3 14 on wilcox j arm, nortos tatm, and airframe. Went with x400vh on mcx and Apc9k for weight with T2 and nv dpp

Amen on the amount of fuddery. Safe practices are safe practices day or night. All shooting is suppressed as well. Not "silenced" but significantly better at distance. Gen 3 14 on wilcox j arm, nortos tatm, and airframe. Went with x400vh on mcx and Apc9k for weight with T2 and nv dpp
You'll want to brush up on Oregon laws, in Washington for example. It's illegal, which is why I advised finding a range that provides the opportunity. The good news is about 90% of what you are interested in doing you can do without firing your gun.

(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.

If you do this...

Please point me to the law where it states shooting after dark is illegal. I know that some counties or properties may state this but that is not what you're getting at here

Please point me to the law where it states shooting after dark is illegal. I know that some counties or properties may state this but that is not what you're getting at here

Note: I dont personally have an issue with it done safely, and maybe with respect to anyone camping nearby. Ive always wanted to practice some low light and handheld light live fire just havent got to it yet. Basically if ones a bit farther in the woods at a dead end spur road nobody's gonna care if a few more rounds went off 1/2 hour-ish after last light. I think....

Pick your intended public land use jurisdiction. Be it state, federal, USFS, WMA or other... all have "daylight" hour restrictions on shooting... except when permitted under special circumstance/permission. It's one of those universally adopted rules that is safe to assume is in effect unless specifically allowed to the contrary.

Another issue during any hunting season, even walking around after shooting hours with a firearm deemed to be suitable for hunting is gonna get you in trouble under suspicion of poaching. Just like carrying a rifle during a hunting season without a valid license and tag for that area will land you in a pile of the stinky stuff. Even during daylight hours.

Unless you're planning on just walking the woods with night vision, you're probably only to be able to do what you are suggesting on private lands with owners permission or other organized event with the appropriate permissions. To be aware though that there may still be jurisdictional limitations by a city or country that will still apply even on private land.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top