JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Future gun build concept, I always thought it would be fun to own one... I'm thinking of building a custom 10mm longslide but when I looked up the 10mms ballistics by the inch it was disappointing to learn there is barely any difference between 5 and 6 inch barrels. Is there any other compelling reason to get a longslide?

I imagine it would reduce felt recoil and the inch longer sight radius should improve accuracy but is that also negligible? But since Im not seeing any real velocity advantage it might be more practical to stay with a 5in barrel and slide.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't use a long slide for the velocity, I'd use it for the sight radius and the reduced recoil I've noticed from mine. You'd be surprised what that extra inch will get you

I wouldn't use a long slide for the velocity, I'd use it for the sight radius and the reduced recoil I've noticed from mine. You'd be surprised what that extra inch will get you
It sounds like you can attest a noticeable improvement in target acquisition and reduced recoil. I will still consider it but I'm still on the letdown of no real velocity gain and having a 5in barrel is easier to carry and find holsters.

I've owned and shot 10mm pistols in many different configurations for over a decade. A 6" 1911 is the most enjoyable and practical application.

You get to say, "The .45 10mm longslide with laa-zuh sighting..." whenever you want with total impunity... :)

I would love to have that 45 longslide but OMG that laser sight is hideous :p You get bonus points for citing what is probably my favorite classic scifi movie

Future gun build concept, I always thought it would be fun to own one... I'm thinking of building a custom 10mm longslide but when I looked up the 10mms ballistics by the inch it was disappointing to learn there is barely any difference between 5 and 6 inch barrels. Is there any other compelling reason to get a longslide?

I imagine it would reduce felt recoil and the inch longer sight radius should improve accuracy but is that also negligible? But since Im not seeing any real velocity advantage it might be more practical to stay with a 5in barrel and slide.
Hand loading will help make the barrel length make more of a difference.

I've owned and shot 10mm pistols in many different configurations for over a decade. A 6" 1911 is the most enjoyable and practical application.
I already have a 5in 1911 in 10mm and 45. They are a joy to shoot and I carry the 10mm hunting every year.

Future projects I want to explore building my own, Im thinking of a P80 frame with a 10mm longslide. Im still debating the longslide part in my head. I have lots of time because Ive spent way too much on gun projects this year so this idea is a future build with no start point at the moment.

Hand loading will help make the barrel length make more of a difference.
interesting, I hadnt thought about that. I dont think it would be worth it unless I could squeeze at least 150fps perferrably 200fps extra velocity. Is this achievable with handloads in a 6in barrel?

interesting, I hadnt thought about that. I dont think it would be worth it unless I could squeeze at least 150fps perferrably 200fps extra velocity. Is this achievable with handloads in a 6in barrel?
What weight bullet? Even still, most rifles see abouut 50fps per inch of barrel gain. So 150-200 is unlikely for the 10mm.

I would love to have that 45 longslide but OMG that laser sight is hideous :p You get bonus points for citing what is probably my favorite classic scifi movie
Do I get additional bonus points for having my own .45 AMT? :)
minus the laa-zuh sighting, of course...

AMT 1911.jpg

What weight bullet? Even still, most rifles see abouut 50fps per inch of barrel gain. So 150-200 is unlikely for the 10mm.
Either 180 or 200g.
the application is hunting, woods, bear defense and just the fun of original 10mm awesomeness. I currently carry 180g JSP in my Delta or 200g hardcast double tap. I haven't thought of the idea of handloading which probably opens up a lot of other projectiles like Lehighs extreme penetrator.

Either 180 or 200g.
the application is hunting, woods, bear defense and just the fun of original 10mm awesomeness. I currently carry 180g JSP in my Delta or 200g hardcast double tap. I haven't thought of the idea of handloading which probably opens up a lot of other projectiles like Lehighs extreme penetrator.
I was reading just now out of curiosity and some other blogs listed the Hornady XTP 180gr bullet loaded with Accurate #9 powder to only have about 60fps more in a 6" barrel than a 5"

Read this also

"Power Pistol load out of stock Glock 20: 1,293
Same load out of my Glock 40: 1,367"

I was reading just now out of curiosity and some other blogs listed the Hornady XTP 180gr bullet loaded with Accurate #9 powder to only have about 60fps more in a 6" barrel than a 5"

Read this also

"Power Pistol load out of stock Glock 20: 1,293
Same load out of my Glock 40: 1,367"
its also worth noting that the Glock 20 is only a 4.6in barrel.
Im not certain its worth it to handload for, as in I dont really want to explore chasing max velocity in handloads and Im not certain if all the few custom 10mm slide manufacturers have done the supported chamber route.

Doubletaps claiming 1300fps with a 200g hardcast at 750ft lbs in a Glock 20 (4.6in barrel).

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews