JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone know what velocity is needed for a 212g Hornady ELD-X to expand correctly and be lethal on an elk?
Hornady doesnt advertise a minimum terminal velocity but some brands that Im aware of average a minimum of 1800fps impact velocity to assure expansion. IMO 2000fps is a safer bet without knowing.
edit: I see you made a separate post so I answered there too.

Hornady doesnt advertise a minimum terminal velocity but some brands that Im aware of average a minimum of 1800fps impact velocity to assure expansion. IMO 2000fps is a safer bet without knowing.
edit: I see you made a separate post so I answered there too.
Ya, I made that other post but wanted to ask here as well. I like the group that's been helping in this chat

A quick search on the interwebs suggest that anywhere between 1200 and 2000ft/lbs is the recommended terminal energy for elk. Given that 1000 is generally recommended for deer, I would guess 1500+ft/lbs. would give a decent margin.

A 212gr bullet will need to be traveling at about 1800fps (I understand from the other thread someone posted that the ELD-X should expand reliably down to around 1600, so 1800 is good) to hit that number on impact.

Terminal ballistics can't really be predicted after a certain point as the bits that make up a body and how a projectile interacts with them after impact are complex. Do you have an accurate measurement of your muzzle velocity? I can give a rough idea of a range for you to hit 1500ft/lbs...

A quick search on the interwebs suggest that anywhere between 1200 and 2000ft/lbs is the recommended terminal energy for elk. Given that 1000 is generally recommended for deer, I would guess 1500+ft/lbs. would give a decent margin.

A 212gr bullet will need to be traveling at about 1800fps (I understand from the other thread someone posted that the ELD-X should expand reliably down to around 1600, so 1800 is good) to hit that number on impact.

Terminal ballistics can't really be predicted after a certain point as the bits that make up a body and how a projectile interacts with them after impact are complex. Do you have an accurate measurement of your muzzle velocity? I can give a rough idea of a range for you to hit 1500ft/lbs...

Attachments

• 24F609F0-B430-415C-BFA7-E9F6AEF6B1BA.png
    24F609F0-B430-415C-BFA7-E9F6AEF6B1BA.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 45
My chronograph read muzzle velocity at 2875 but after getting everything dialed in I came up with 2700 and that is what my hornady book suggested I would be. The good news is I hit a grapefruit at 1100 yards and a Copenhagen can at 629. I shot a variety of ranges with this info and was on the money.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top