JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, we've all got one (actually several) kicking around but could never muster up the courage to be seen in public wearing one. You know, you've got to the point where you got the bag set up with your gun and gear, strapped it on but just couldn't set foot out the door before tossing it and going back to your daily carry set up. Ahhhh, being a creature of habit provides quite the comfort zone.
I have been down that road. The closest I have come is when I used to carry my man bags which were at the time adapted to being diaper bags, just in Maxpedition form with the velcro paneled universal holster. I still have (all of) them but since the last young un' got out of diapers I never really was inclined to continue with outside the body carry. Ahh now come the purists saying nay-nay to anything but the standard IWB and OWB carry apparati. Say what you will... and you will. Cool comes from within, and rest assured that I am no Steve McQueen but I can fool anyone who doesn't know me. :rolleyes:
But I do believe that after reading this article there is cause to revisit the long berated butt pack. I do believe that the good author at thefireamsblog.com makes a strong case to reconsider this long mocked concealed carry option. Since I don't have to worry about disappointing anyone I know any further, I am going to dig out my sad but cool collection and make butt packs great again!
Now who's with me? :)s0160:Vote for Cigars, your new king of cool! :s0115:)

No. I don't own one. And off-body carry had LOTS of disadvantages. A little less comfort goes a long way. I will not be part of the club.

Ok, we've all got one (actually several) kicking around but could never muster up the courage to be seen in public wearing one. You know, you've got to the point where you got the bag set up with your gun and gear, strapped it on but just couldn't set foot out the door before tossing it and going back to your daily carry set up. Ahhhh, being a creature of habit provides quite the comfort zone.
I have been down that road. The closest I have come is when I used to carry my man bags which were at the time adapted to being diaper bags, just in Maxpedition form with the velcro paneled universal holster. I still have (all of) them but since the last young un' got out of diapers I never really was inclined to continue with outside the body carry. Ahh now come the purists saying nay-nay to anything but the standard IWB and OWB carry apparati. Say what you will... and you will. Cool comes from within, and rest assured that I am no Steve McQueen but I can fool anyone who doesn't know me. :rolleyes:
But I do believe that after reading this article there is cause to revisit the long berated butt pack. I do believe that the good author at thefireamsblog.com makes a strong case to reconsider this long mocked concealed carry option. Since I don't have to worry about disappointing anyone I know any further, I am going to dig out my sad but cool collection and make butt packs great again!
Now who's with me? :)s0160:Vote for Cigars, your new king of cool! :s0115:)

I'm more concerned about this, "I never really was inclined to continue with outside the body carry" comment you've made, and your talk of a "butt bag" to carry.....

Are you trying to tell us something? o_O

;):s0140:

Well truth be told, I will still carry my compact 45 IWB and use the butt pack for my Jericho 941FS45. Best of both worlds. It appears that I can have it all, including the cool factor. Take notes. :s0078:

It matters more where you carry your brain.

Situational awareness. The fastest guy with the quickest rig made CANNOT beat a gun trained on him.

Be aware. Prevent. If you cannot prevent, wait for the perp to be distracted. Wait your turn. Go to work.

Back in the day, when Fanny packs were all the rage, I have to admit to using a Targa black leather fanny pack to carry a 2" .38 when I lived in Georgia... Have thought about doing it again, but that's when I was young and svelte... :s0140:

Back in the day, when Fanny packs were all the rage, I have to admit to using a Targa black leather fanny pack to carry a 2" .38 when I lived in Georgia... Have thought about doing it again, but that's when I was young and svelte... :s0140:
Yeah, they have a way of becoming a belly pack. Below is useless and above looks ridiculous. What I really want is a chest rig like S&W president Tom Campbell used in IPSC shooting. Perfect for bicycle riding. Pretty darned good in the car or truck. Good on a motorcycle if you can get your glove off fast enough.

They basically tell everyone you've given up on life and have more pocket options than dignity left in life.

There's a fair amount of truth to that. ^^^^ :rolleyes:

I'm old enough to remember when butt packs were in. I was pretty young and it was before I carried but I remember loving them at the time, thinking they were wonderfully convenient. They would be even more convenient now.

Here's what I currently carry...

M&P CORE
Knife
Wallet
Keys
Pepper spray
Flashlight
Spare mag

The only way I am able to achieve this is with cargo pants...which are a whole other topic. :rolleyes:

But I still don't think I can bring myself to carry a butt bag...with a couple exceptions...

While working out/going for a run, or out on the trail where they don't look completely out of place.

But I've sure been thinking about some type of bag solution for those times where I just want to run out to the store to grab something quick but don't want to go through the whole "holstering up" routine.

Depending on the circles you mention "butt gear" you might get totally different suggestions/persuasions.

Hill people gear makes a few "kit bags" that sit on the chest or could be adjusted to ride high on the stomach. I have worn that jogging because it serves as a good spot to put keys, wallet, phone, and gun. It also works well to hold a small amount of kit when hiking but without a full pack, or to use in conjunction with a pack and using an area as a basecamp and going further and coming back, like hiking/fishing, and not having to cart the entire pack around. I've probably used it fishing more than jogging - jogging sucks - but it does let me easily carry when jogging.

There's a fair amount of truth to that. ^^^^ :rolleyes:

I'm old enough to remember when butt packs were in. I was pretty young and it was before I carried but I remember loving them at the time, thinking they were wonderfully convenient. They would be even more convenient now.

Here's what I currently carry...

M&P CORE
Knife
Wallet
Keys
Pepper spray
Flashlight
Spare mag

The only way I am able to achieve this is with cargo pants...which are a whole other topic. :rolleyes:

But I still don't think I can bring myself to carry a butt bag...with a couple exceptions...

While working out/going for a run, or out on the trail where they don't look completely out of place.

But I've sure been thinking about some type of bag solution for those times where I just want to run out to the store to grab something quick but don't want to go through the whole "holstering up" routine.

Safariland horizontal mag pouches. Check them out. I wear jean typically from Duluth and I carry the same stuff/more and am not restricted to cargo pants. The carpenter jeans from duluth also have ball room, very important.

In the jeans:
Wallet
Keys
Phone
Leatherman (carpenter pocket)
Streamlight flashlight (carpenter pocket)
Swiss army knife
Cutting knife
Sharpies 1 or 2

On the belt:
Horizontal mag pouch left side - fox 5.3 spray
Horizontal mag pouch right side - 1 spare mage
Glock 17 in OWB holster.

Yes - it does somewhat look like Batman's rig with all the things on the belt, but since they run horizontally, they blend right into my front hip line and they are completely out of my way, if they sat vertical they wouldn't be.

Cover it with a T-shirt and the majority of the populace notices nothing. The rest of the populace, I really don't care if they notice, concealing isn't mandatory, it's just a matter of convenience.

No man purse for me. I'm a creature of habit so like to carry Inside the waist band or open carry at the 8 o'clock position. Pants pockets carry the rest of my everyday kit, wallet, car keys, pocket knife, cell phone and handkerchief.

If I'm wearing a kilt it's called a sporran and it looks normal...as long as you think a guy in kilt looks normal anyway. h

For Heaven's sake, NO!

I still have my Uncle Mikes fanny pack. in the mid-late 90's fanny packs were very common. It was very simple form of carry that allowed me to ride to work, change clothes and head to my department without openly displaying a gun. I haven't carried it with a gun for years, but still occasionally use it when riding dirt bikes. They were very useful, but before too long everyone assumed anyone with a fanny pack was packing heat.

These days when I see a person wearing a fanny pack, I think old man tourist, just like my dad, who never carried a handgun. Maybe enough time has passed since the last "cycle" and wearing one won't be such a red flag.

Try calling it " banane"! If nothing else will confusion your tormentors who are giving you grief for waring a fanny pack. BTW it is French for fanny pack.

Try calling it " banane"! If nothing else will confusion your tormentors who are giving you grief for waring a fanny pack. BTW it is French for fanny pack.

E8338EE7-3467-4E4A-836E-87571A79D2FB.jpeg

Didnt read the OP because it's so long (i.e. more than three sentences).
Wore a fanny pack for a few years in the 90's. Came to the conclusion they were superfluous and a lousy, lazy way to carry things that could be carried much better with a little thought.
If you want to do this, try
  • Merge the Bohemian & Hipster styles
    • Birkenstocks
    • Long hair or, if bald, a goatee / blue note
    • Beret
    • Loose, colorful clothes, ideally with drips of paint on them like you're a painter,
    • Patchouli
    • Be ready with quotes from AG, Kant, Kierkegaard and Kerouac.
    • When asked about your fanny pack, you can quip, "I am an apriorist, and this is my posteriori kit."

Depending on the circles you mention "butt gear" you might get totally different suggestions/persuasions.

Hill people gear makes a few "kit bags" that sit on the chest or could be adjusted to ride high on the stomach. I have worn that jogging because it serves as a good spot to put keys, wallet, phone, and gun. It also works well to hold a small amount of kit when hiking but without a full pack, or to use in conjunction with a pack and using an area as a basecamp and going further and coming back, like hiking/fishing, and not having to cart the entire pack around. I've probably used it fishing more than jogging - jogging sucks - but it does let me easily carry when jogging.
Just to clarify, I used the term "butt gear" because I find the term "fanny pack" repulsive, lol. I wasn't trying to associate any other connotations that might be trendy in greater Portland. :rolleyes:
I to am looking at chest rigs. While I like the perfect tactical positioning they offer, they just scream "hey there's a gun in here". Never the less, I like chest rigs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top