JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm in the LBCC library and all of a sudden the alarm goes off. No info, but the alarm was the same as a fire. About 25-30 seconds later, a voice comes on the intercom:
"This is an emergency situation; lockdown procedures are in effect. Please stay in your rooms, turn off the lights, and remain low and quiet. This is an emergency situation..."

Teachers and such herd everyone into a back computer lab room, lock the door, and turn out the lights. In spite of the request to stay low and quiet, there is a constant murmur; "what's going on? anyone know? anybody in touch with outside? I'm looking around afterhaving texted my wife what was going on, and realised:

A) I'm now in a room with 1 entrance/exit, and a door that, while provided with a lock, is flanked by a 7' tall by 8' wide window.

B) Said room is guarded by one guy with a cellphone and a reflective vest

C) I have my CRKT folder in my pocket, a laptop computer, and a backpack full of books.

I don't think I've ever felt quite that helpless. Must re-up CHL ASAP.

Are you required to comply with such nonsense?

Lockdowns usually only make it easier to ascertain what happened after the fact.
From what i've seen, It usually stacks the potential victims into nice tight barrels.
The gunman can move from room to room unimpeded and encounters little to no resistance.

After all, the fish are easier to shoot if they stay in the barrel.

Personally, I'd either demand more info, or i'd be putting a desk through that window and distancing myself from the "emergency situation" very quickly.

I graduated from there and also two years at osu, and the whole time legally conceal carried, by just ignoring their campus policy, and choosing my lifes worth over the fact that they might try to expel me, should I ever defend my life on their campus.

Public place, not every entrance posted with ghostbuster signs, and a good lawyers number saved in my phone.

No worries, just never ever, ever, draw it, or print, and your fine.

Moose; honestly, I have no idea. I'll be checking into it though.

MrNiceGuy; fish in a barrel, that was it exactly.

Teufel; is that what it was? We never did find out.

Woodworker; Times have changed there, methinks. I know two guys at least who carry there with no hassles I know of. I wasn't carrying because my CHL lapsed during the move from PDX and I haven't had the opportunity to reinstate.

Sowatnao; evidently, they found whomever they were chasing. All-clear was sounded and we went about our business. OP wwas written after the fact.

So I'm in the LBCC library and all of a sudden the alarm goes off.

I have my CRKT folder in my pocket, a laptop computer, and a backpack full of books.

I don't think I've ever felt quite that helpless. Must re-up CHL ASAP.

I carry at PSU every time I am on campus. I have both a Daytimer planner style holster and a nice leather briefcase holster. Each one cost $40 on Ebay. Never leave home without one!

I will preface this with the statement that I am not a parent, have no intentions of ever becoming one, and know how it happens (apart from the sea of humanity that surrounds me).

I will also say that I am intimately familiar with the procedure of "lockdown" or "lockout" as it is applied to schools.

And now I will say, that IF I was a parent, I would instruct my children to run as fast and as far as they could from any school that was placed in "lockdown" or "lockout", and as a parent, I would respond as fast as I could to extricate my children from any such situation and run with them as far and as fast as I could from that institution. Any authority that stood in my way would be subject to my (admittedly latent) parental instincts for survival.

One word: Columbine.

The ones that ran are the ones that survived.

I think a lockdown sets up a scenario for mass slaughter. The institution has a disaster on its hands if one person or a hundred get shot. I think an individual's chances are better running.

Two kids playing with plastic guns in apartments nearby.

What over reactive idiots!

T_H

When I was a kid we used to dress up in old fatigues (including helmets) and play war in my parent's yard, neighbor's and all around the cul-de-sac. With whatever replica toy guns we could get a hold, the neighbor kid had something close <broken link removed>, and never were there any problems.

Some people flip out worse than ninjas as soon as they even think they saw a gun.

+1 to over-reactive idiots

Now days with gun crime gone up (even for young ages), I can see why people freaking out. But, some do over react without realizing what is going on.

While inside that room, you should have built castle out of books for your own safety. :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top