JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What match/custom gun or parts would you like to see locally manufactured

• 1911's

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • AR's

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Bolt action rifles, hunting or benchrest

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Single shots, falling/rolling blocks etc

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Shotguns

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Glocks

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
I am taking a "hypothetical" poll of what firearms and or parts you would like to see locally manufactured? These would be a little higher end, custom made "spec" guns, CNC and hand fit guns and or parts. 3 gun setups, custom 1911's," tacticool" AR's or maybe some lightweight bolt action hunters or heavy benchrest guns? What about the single shot action or maybe even the double rifle.

I say hypothetical, because, well, stay tuned for more info as time goes on...... ;)

Palma rifle.
PalmaRifle003.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think Oregon would allow a medium to large scale gun manufacturer into the state... at least not if the voters (or controlling agencies) of the Portland area (and where most of the controlling votes come from) had anything to say about it. A small nitch gun manufacturer might be able to fly under the radar like the some of those that make accessories do now, although most have their shop well outside of the Portland area.

Mike

Not especially a Kimber fan, though some of their rifles are very cool. They were here, local, and hauled azz. I think a well run arms manufacturer could make it here. It would mean jobs and recognition. Nosler does it but I dont think their volume qualifies as big time.

Just looking for some (hypothetical) ;) ideas on what people might like or be willing to spend their hard earned money on. I would hate to see a company waste their money to manufacture, or customize, a gun that no one wants.

Always looking for cool custom gun parts, trick custom stuff that no one else makes, or makes for "Other" rifles! Things like muzzle brakes, trigger bows/bottom metal kits, long action bottom metal kits with mags that don't require ACIS mags, Chassis parts/kits for "Other" rifles not Rem 700 or Savage, custom sight assemblies besides Williams, Lyman, Redfield, that can use Pistol front dove tail sight posts ( 1911/Glock) and receiver mounted sights that are more robust and protected better, almost battle rifle type with a decent range adjustment and fine windage!

How about custom 1911 "Kits" that a buyer can choose from and have built to his/hers specs, ( think STI, NightHawk, Ed Brown, Fusion) a person can choose their custom 1911 to be built to their hearts desire. I would be all over that, probably leaning over your counter every week if you offered a wide range of parts to build from, any frame and slide combos, all calibers, all the popular sight combos, ect......................I bet @SKrueger and I would be elbowing each other out of the way to get that new shiny pistol part! MAke sure to have plenty of Double Stack Mags as well as singles to satisfy any need!
Same with Glocks, you could have quite the nich, especially if you can bring in 80% flames for builders to play with!

I can see a Wide Wide World Of Sports opening up lots of business if you could meet those needs! Custom bolt guns based on a series of actions and barrels as a basis to build from, and all the above accessories that a person can choose to build their dream rifle from, from ultra light weight hunting rifles, to tactical cool carbines, to all out long range set ups! I would get a basic line up of recievers/bolt assemblies, and barrels that can be configured to the shooters desires, and custom bottom metal! I could go on and on, but this is a good start!

Custom Shot gun builds based on the 870/500 and the semi autos any thing from competition shooters to 3 gun, to tacticool HD tools!

Don't forget to include custom finishes on every thing that leaves the shop, not only a nice and useful upsell for you, but a nice addition for customers to have done then and there at a nice price brake with purchase of major components or Kits!

Looking at the survey options, is this part of the #me too movement?;)
Aren't there already dozens of outfits already doing all of the above? Are we operating on the premise that everything worthwhile has already been designed?
Maybe I'm missing the point and the real focus is the local aspect? I think there are possibilities that don't fall under that list but I may be unique (ok, just odd):rolleyes:

Looking at the survey options, is this part of the #me too movement?;)
Aren't there already dozens of outfits already doing all of the above? Are we operating on the premise that everything worthwhile has already been designed?
Maybe I'm missing the point and the real focus is the local aspect? I think there are possibilities that don't fall under that list but I may be unique (ok, just odd):rolleyes:
The point is asking people if a local company was going to get into manufacturing, what are some of the products and services they would like to see out of that shop. Yes there are dozens of outfits doing the above and for those who think that rock island, or taurus or pick any of a dozen manufactures, do such a good job that no one can improve then I would say my products are not for them.;) If everyone was satisfied with the Ford Ranger then they wouldn't have come out with the Raptor. (@Blackcobra lol) I think there are a LOT of possibilities that are not included in the above list that I think would be extremely cool and if you have any ideas of things you would like to see I am all ears
I was just taking my experience as a dealer and giving the most popular options of guns that are selling these days. Yes, the local aspect is also a big deal to those who would rather support small local companies vs the big box stores.
But seriously, if you have other suggestions please let me know :)

What audience are you asking this question to?

Those that spend 3-4 thousand on one gun?

Or those who buy guns ranging from 3-8 hundred?

I think answering that question could help.

What audience are you asking this question to?

Those that spend 3-4 thousand on one gun?

Or those who buy guns ranging from 3-8 hundred?

I think answering that question could help.

As of right now there isn't a specific audience in mind, although the cheap market is already pretty well saturated and who wants to be know as the guy who puts out the hi point of 1911's lol (not trying to start anything with hi point owners lol)

You have been into guns long enough to know that you get what you pay for and from what I have seen, the majority of people are willing to pay a little more for quality.

people will pay for customization or that unique piece. people do it all the time with their cars, boats etc. why not firearms. its why companies like Zev or my friend over at greyghost have a market.

ETA: its ideas like this and thinking outside the box that break the market open.
Chamberless Barrels

I'd personally like to see a nice semi custom bolt action practical/hunting rifle along with long range rifles and parts and upgrades to fit something other than a Remington 700. Truthfully anything that pisses off Ginny Burdick, Floyd Prozanski and Herr Brown would make me smile as well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top