JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What match/custom gun or parts would you like to see locally manufactured

• 1911's

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • AR's

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Bolt action rifles, hunting or benchrest

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Single shots, falling/rolling blocks etc

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Shotguns

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Glocks

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
Do you actually have a production facility? Because I have a design and need a concept rifle made.

Also, we need a good local AK builder. That's a niche you could definitely fill!

Just curious, does that mean an *idea* or a design with detail drawings ready to hand to a machinist? I've found that what constitutes a design means different thing to different people. Whichever, I hope you can make progress on it!:)

I have detailed schematics drawn up. I'm not a machinist so I'm not sure how easy it would be to create, but I assume it's possible given the designs of some other rifles haha!

Thank you, it's something I've had sitting around for a while and keep meaning to get a price quote from a machinist but I always get busy and forget. It's not a revolutionary design or anything, just something cool I'd like to fabricate at some point.

I have detailed schematics drawn up. I'm not a machinist so I'm not sure how easy it would be to create

Does that also include materials, rough sizes/strengths of items, and specific tolerances, like +/-0.001" stuff? Maybe hand the schematics off to a CAD designer/engineer first to make sure its all feasible and possible to machine/fabricate? :)

A reason for sticking to tried and true designs, maybe just adjust a little here and there for certain cartridges (new barrel, ream chamber, etc), or limited re-engineering to accommodate new cartridges, or magazine designs, such as fitting a bolt action rifle with a new magazine....

Actually for those who want a 9mm bolt action, why not start with a 9mm AR barrel, then machine a bolt action receiver and a bolt that uses the same head as the AR bolt? Could make it take-down pretty easily this way...

Actually for those who want a 9mm bolt action, why not start with a 9mm AR barrel, then machine a bolt action receiver and a bolt that uses the same head as the AR bolt? Could make it take-down pretty easily this way...
I can make a bolt-action 9mm easy. Side Charger upper, no gas port in the barrel. BOOM, Instant Bolt Action 9mm, and bonus almost entirely Off The Shelf standard parts for easy repairs and ergo/etc. tweaks. :D

I can make a bolt-action 9mm easy. Side Charger upper, no gas port in the barrel. BOOM, Instant Bolt Action 9mm, and bonus almost entirely Off The Shelf standard parts for easy repairs and ergo/etc. tweaks. :D
I thought most 9mm ARs had no gas ports, they operated entirely on blowback? Am I wrong?
And I am pretty sure someone is still gonna whine that it aint blued steel and wood classic bolt action rifle looking :rolleyes:
An oversized Cricket action, with AR barrel nut threaded extrusion could actually help make a 9mm bolt action a nice, lightweight take-down carbine?

Unless you want it to look like the traditional bolt action but be a 9mm, I just don't see the point in having to operate the bolt manually vs just building it as a 9mm AR [auto loader].

If I built that, I would not be looking for accuracy, I'd build it as a pistol AR and make it short and handy and assault looking. Some of the AR pistol builds I have seen do look cool.

I guess, to each his own but, just what is the point of having a traditional looking 9mm bolt action unless it is just to say you have one?

~

@NCW_Robert Wasn't saying it was a GOOD idea, just saying "think outside the box." Pistol-caliber bolt actions are mainly useful as research tools for load development, cranking up the pressure in fully supported barrels to find a cartridge's exact limits.

Unless you want it to look like the traditional bolt action but be a 9mm, I just don't see the point in having to operate the bolt manually vs just building it as a 9mm AR [auto loader].
I guess, to each his own but, just what is the point of having a traditional looking 9mm bolt action unless it is just to say you have one?

~

cheap centerfire plinker that could be a good step up for the youths before getting them onto full size bolt action rifles? I know the .223 bolt actions and similar have neglible recoil anyhow....

Actually. a funky idea, and could make it 50 State Legal :rolleyes:
a 9mm pump action, take-down carbine with standard pistol box mags.

Shape might be closer to this than others, but idea is there (ancient pump paintball gun with MP5 mag body bolted to it lol)) DSC00017.JPG

Little more on this idea..
Pump rod goes where AR gas tube normally goes; shortened AR bolt carrier, 9mm AR bolt, standard mag system, T or L shaped tube stock with no springs or anything like that, small diameter tubing or couple solid rods, depending on how set up... pump rod could be held by a pin on the bolt carrier, amd push pin retained on the pump handle... how does that sound for a simple 9mm pump carbine?

Little more on this idea..
Pump rod goes where AR gas tube normally goes; shortened AR bolt carrier, 9mm AR bolt, standard mag system, T or L shaped tube stock with no springs or anything like that, small diameter tubing or couple solid rods, depending on how set up... pump rod could be held by a pin on the bolt carrier, amd push pin retained on the pump handle... how does that sound for a simple 9mm pump carbine?
interesting :)

Really. there's a pump action AR kit out now!? What the heck. Looks like it utilizes the exact same idea I have.... pump rod in place of gas tube.
The UMOS - Universal Manual Operating System Pump Action AR-15 Kit - The Firearm Blog

EDIT: I'm an idiot..... What's the most compact, simplest receiver for any pistol caliber...a pistol! Now...a custom machined frame that can mate with a machined tube that just happens to have a carbine stock thread on the back, and an AR barrel nut attachment on the front, with "gas port" hole drilled, and milled from the underside for the hammer to hit the firing pin... the bolt could be simple, with a rotating head like on the AR-9 bolt, but shorter overall length/more compact.... the pump pin is L shaped, inserted from the back of the tube (with the bolt system), and retained up front by a push pin. This would have a very compact, very light pump action 9mm carbine, and with a machined lower/frame that accepts standard magazines.... I daresay the idea would make it very um..... sci-fi like....since the 9mm cartridge doesn't need a long stroke at all like shotguns or other centerfire rifle rounds.

If still desire a takedown feature, I'm not sure how to accommodate that, but I think the central unit and the bolt would be the three most difficult parts to manufacture... Frame with carbine stock attachment, upper receiver to accept the barrel.

EDIT: there's apparently a bunch of unfinished rifled barrel blanks for the 9mm bore size... and pretty affordable. HMM. the custom pump action design might actually be more sleeker and compact than the AR9 design.... Might resemble this more than anything else, except for the feed tube and the air system:rolleyes: DSC03145.JPG

Last Edited:
I'd like to see a properly regulated double rifle in .375 H&H or .416 Rigby (or Remington) that doesn't require a second mortgage to pay for it. Cabela's had some relatively inexpensive doubles a few years back so maybe its doable...

I didn't vote for any of the options. Personally, i think there are too many "custom shops" out there already. I feel you'd be hard-pressed in the market unless you had a following.

Now, if you are looking to gear up (tool up?) And start making custom parts, again, the options provided might allow for a very tough market.

If you are talking items made on a CNC, then i might suggest a good designer too (unless you've already got that covered ;))

I have a few ideas that I am going to be talking to "parts houses" about. I will be looking at initial orders of 500-1000 pieces, depending on pricing of course.

Do you mean getting into stuff like large scale (high numbers) parts/pieces or onesy-twosy stuff?

(deleted long winded screed on the issues of design and manufacturing from someone with a fair amount of experience in it)
As one afflicted with Idearrhea, I know there's great potential for new stuff for someone with the wherewithal and desire to do it. Good luck on making it go!

something has been bothering me since I brought up pump 9mm idea...mainly... locking. how does one lock the bolt face, without it becoming essentially a reverse bolt action.....I mean... if it has to rotate lugs into the chamber, then it might as well as be easier to turn it into a bolt action as opposed to pump action :rolleyes: I haven't the chance to look at the pump action rifles of yore to see if there's a way that could translate to a 9mm box magazined pistol carbine.. I know there were .357 Mag and .45 long colt pump action carbines, and more popularly, lever actions in that same group of pistol calibers...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top