JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What match/custom gun or parts would you like to see locally manufactured

• 1911's

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • AR's

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Bolt action rifles, hunting or benchrest

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Single shots, falling/rolling blocks etc

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Shotguns

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Glocks

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
There's a variety of locking mechanisms used in pump guns. The most common seems to be variations of tilting bolt or a tilting locking member. 870 Rem and IMI Timberwolf has a tilting locking lug that comes out the top of the bolt. Tilting bolts can be front tilting like the Win model 62 and it's predecessors or rear tilting like a Win model 12. The AR style helically actuated turning bolt can be used also, just move the bolt carrier via a fore end slide instead of gas pressure. Don't recall the models but there's at least one shotgun that operates essentially that way. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

I'm trying to figure out so that it doesn't need to be a rectangle/square bodied receiver.....Granted, I am no gunsmith, so I ain't sure..but I do have machining experience, and I know it is far simpler to turn down and do limited milling, than to do extensive face milling on 6 sides of a block, and then mill out pockets for the bolt and assorted items, and then turn it for the barrel threading/attachment. Press brakes or stamping could work, but that incur costs of machining the dies and then to get that cost back, gotta sell so many of them that they can break even in terms of overall costs.

I suppose I am really looking at this from the practical, simple Sten gun style side, as opposed to designing something that looks like it should be out on the prairies on a saddle next to a cowboy :rolleyes:.

the tubular style receiver would also work excellently for a bolt action too. Imagine that...a bolt action whose magazine is in the grip....sort of a bullpup bolt action....actually, that might look very futuristic and simple..... or it might just end up being derided as "looking too much like a pressure washer" :rolleyes: o_O

Take a look at the Rem 514. It's a single shot .22 but has a simple cylindrical receiver. The bolt handle IS the locking lug. A bit of beefing up or higher strength material could contain the 9mm P.

Stamping and press brake work generally wants softer ductile material so doesn't lend itself so much to things like locking surfaces. Granted, using steel with higher carbon content can allow for heat treating but then you start dealing with distortion issues etc. plus higher carbon content steels don't weld as readily.

The STEN could get away with a simple tube receiver since it relies on bolt mass instead of any locking mechanism. The only mechanical load on it from firing is essentially the friction of the bullet thru the barrel. It does have to be strong enough to prevent the barrel from taking leave with the bullet:eek:
And of course the repeated slamming of the heavy bolt against it.

Pressure washer? Yeah, not as cool as Grease Gun... I guess o_O

Right, what I was thinking was that the bolt would lock into the barrel blank itself, while the receiver tube would be around the barrel, depending on how long or how simple... the bolt carrier would essentially be the same diameter as the inside diameter of the receiver tube... but the locking lug or lugs, would lock into cutouts on the barrel area.... if you understand what I am saying? It'll be somewhat similar in theory to the barrel extension on the AR barrels, but smaller diameter and not as massive, since the barrel would have the chamber as well... really, I'm thinking probably most of the machining would be on the breech end, and the frame for the trigger and magazine... maybe a little on the receiver tube itself, depending on what's needed (slots for bolt or pump rods)
I'm not sure. I just think it should be possible. I do know converting a .22tcm to 9mm has been done as linked in previous posts, so it should in theory be possible.... using wood as a stock might be doable, but one ends up with putting the trigger further back than really is necessary... using a tubular stock might be better...but again, pressure washer/paintball gun appearances.... Crosman style shoulder stock might be hilarious to implement, but that's not a good look honestly :rolleyes: Dragunov/thumbhole style might be better though. a pump handle should be beefy enough for most hands...but not look like it came from a shotgun, because people are gonna ask where the other tube is. :rolleyes:
Maybe a trombone style vertical grip/pump handle would work better?
One thing to be said of the simplest tubular style shapes...one could make custom sight rails that are essentially shark gills on the outside of the receiver...while still being a picatinny rail for sights and such...but that takes more machining/milling..and there's the question of mounting.... mount to the trigger/magazine frame probably best method...
would end up looking like a hybrid of the AGD Automag customs and the old style single-tube pump action paintball guns....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top