JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was going to toss this thought in on the 'growing potatoes' thread, but decided it merited its own...

Along with the thought of expanding our garden this year, wif and I have also concluded we'll try to buy more of our food from local sources as well, since it seems like the Chilean produce, for example, will be the first to go when 'times get tough,' and if we don't support our local growers now, they may not be around when we need 'em. We have no illusions that we'll save money by hitting the farmer's markets, vs. the non-local groceries store.

Does anyone know when the Tigard Farmer's Market will open for the year? I checked their website and found it looks like it hasn't been updated in a year or so. Digging around a little more, I did find that it 'traditionally' opens on Mother's Day (May 9, this year.) The Beaverton market's site is current and shows them opening Mother's day. (I thought they were open year-round...)

The other tidbit I picked up off Bvtn's site is to bring cash -- they have a booth where you can buy $2 or $5 tokens (and the vendors will give change) but there's a $2 transaction fee when you buy the tokens.

MrB

Last Edited:
The Beaverton one opens 1st every year. Then the rest follow. Not sure on the exact date, so keep checking the website. And im all for supporting the locals in everything that I buy. I love the local farmers markets!:)

Me too, usually. A dozen huge duck eggs for $4, full-sized mason jars of honey for $10 to $15 depending on type. All sorts of stuff.

Tip to a newbie: when purchasing eggs, look for shells that haven't been washed. Washing removes a protective coating, and is usually done with chlorine. Eggs are porous. Not only does the washing agent enter the egg, but other contaminants and bacteria can then more easily enter. Europe bans washing eggs in chlorine.

Europe has also banned US beef imports for a couple of decades because of our use of steroids and growth hormones, but that's a different story.

Keith

My wife and I go to a farmer's market at least once a week during the season. There's one on Saturday in Grants Pass. If you drive from Downtown toward the river on 7th you can see it about 1/2 way between just W. of 7th about a block.

There's one in Medford right behind Sears unless they are moving it. I don't remember if it's Tues. or Thurs.

Does anyone know when the Tigard Farmer's Market will open for the year? Digging around a little more, I did find that it 'traditionally' opens on Mother's Day (May 9, this year.)
Received an email back from the Tigard Farmer's Market folks confirming they're open May 9 to Oct 31 this year.

Interesting bit about the Hillsdale market being open through the winter, thanks.

MrB

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads