Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Local farmer's markets

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by TAT2D, Feb 27, 2010.

1. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

Was going to toss this thought in on the 'growing potatoes' thread, but decided it merited its own...

Along with the thought of expanding our garden this year, wif and I have also concluded we'll try to buy more of our food from local sources as well, since it seems like the Chilean produce, for example, will be the first to go when 'times get tough,' and if we don't support our local growers now, they may not be around when we need 'em. We have no illusions that we'll save money by hitting the farmer's markets, vs. the non-local groceries store.

Does anyone know when the Tigard Farmer's Market will open for the year? I checked their website and found it looks like it hasn't been updated in a year or so. Digging around a little more, I did find that it 'traditionally' opens on Mother's Day (May 9, this year.) The Beaverton market's site is current and shows them opening Mother's day. (I thought they were open year-round...)

The other tidbit I picked up off Bvtn's site is to bring cash -- they have a booth where you can buy $2 or $5 tokens (and the vendors will give change) but there's a $2 transaction fee when you buy the tokens.

MrB

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Portland, OR Member

The Beaverton one opens 1st every year. Then the rest follow. Not sure on the exact date, so keep checking the website. And im all for supporting the locals in everything that I buy. I love the local farmers markets!:)

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Local, naturally grown produce may be more expensive, but like a Carrera vs. a Pinto you get what you pay for.

Keith

4. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Portland, OR Member

Actually, Ive gotten better prices at the farmers market than at a grocery store. I guess it all depends on which vendor you buy from.

5. trainsktg

Me too, usually. A dozen huge duck eggs for $4, full-sized mason jars of honey for $10 to $15 depending on type. All sorts of stuff.

Tip to a newbie: when purchasing eggs, look for shells that haven't been washed. Washing removes a protective coating, and is usually done with chlorine. Eggs are porous. Not only does the washing agent enter the egg, but other contaminants and bacteria can then more easily enter. Europe bans washing eggs in chlorine.

Europe has also banned US beef imports for a couple of decades because of our use of steroids and growth hormones, but that's a different story.

Keith

6. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

I have never heard of a Carrera bean at the farmers markets around here

7. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

They're the shiny red ones...That make you go fast..

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

My wife and I go to a farmer's market at least once a week during the season. There's one on Saturday in Grants Pass. If you drive from Downtown toward the river on 7th you can see it about 1/2 way between just W. of 7th about a block.

There's one in Medford right behind Sears unless they are moving it. I don't remember if it's Tues. or Thurs.

9. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

10. trainsktg

That is Soooo bad (but quite clever :laugh:).

Keith

11. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

Received an email back from the Tigard Farmer's Market folks confirming they're open May 9 to Oct 31 this year.

Interesting bit about the Hillsdale market being open through the winter, thanks.

MrB