JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That money was spent as soon as they got it. The relief money coming up will come out of your great, great, great grandchildren's paychecks.
Can't argue with that. Besides the billions of dollars we are sending to foreign countries in exchange for favors, there are plenty here in the U.S., myself included, who would be just fine without getting stimulated. Trust me when I say I've struggled with the idea of sending it back to Uncle Sam, where it would be used to buy drugs, hookers and vacations for politicians or stocking up on food for my kids to eat after our economy takes a huge bubblegum and leaving them with a lot of interest to pay on those bags of beans and rice.

Consider the $600 to be what it is; a rebate on the thousands of dollars of taxes that you have already paid. Sure, some people are getting it who don't need it (I am much more in favor of paying out more for UI benefits, or subsidizing COBRA or things like that, which are more targeted) but it is what it is, make the most of it.

I am using any income I get (UI benefits, relief payments, and now, possible future self-employment income), above my SS benefits (which I earned and which pay my living expenses) to help support my daughter and anything left after that, to buy preps or to put back for future expenses.

As I understood it, the bill which "gave" us each a $600 check will cost each taxpayer $14,000. Which sounds like typical big government move. Now be sure to thank them by voting them all back in.

On topic, Costco had the Emergency food buckets on one of the end caps yesterday. I didn't look closely, but typically they have good product at good pricing and it would be worth checking out.

As far as any tips, I'd suggest 2 things. 1st: Have a plan. You might go the LDS route, it's cheaper, but it's more work too. 2nd) For freeze dryed food, unless it's on sale, wait a bit (6-12 months) and prices are sure to come down. I prefer Mt House for it's long storage life and I like the taste as well. Buy some cases of #10 tins, put it in a dark cool corner, mark the expiration date with a felt tip and forget it. As I understand it, the pouches expiration went to 30 years now as well (Same as the tins, pouches use to be 7) and that might be a better route for you now. Good on you for thinking ahead.

Last Edited:
With the U.S. gooberment about to return either $600 or $2000 of the money they've stolen out of my pay check, I plan on using a good portion of that to simultaneously stimulate local businesses and my pantry. I am looking for deals on either canned goods or long term freeze dried food buckets and bags. Can anyone recommend stores in the Washington and Multonmah Couty areas where a person can get the most bang for his buck? I have a family of four to look out for and have about 30 days of food on hand. I'd like to immediatly have 3 months, then 6 months and eventually a years supply of food on hand. Any tips on stocking up? Up until now out stocking up has consisted mostly of hitting sales of canned goods and potato flakes at outlet stores and BiMart.
Mountain House is made in Oregon (Albany), so you're supporting local when buying their stuff. When BiMart has it on sale, it is usually better than anywhere I've found online.

With the U.S. gooberment about to return either $600 or $2000 of the money they've stolen out of my pay check, I plan on using a good portion of that to simultaneously stimulate local businesses and my pantry. I am looking for deals on either canned goods or long term freeze dried food buckets and bags. Can anyone recommend stores in the Washington and Multonmah Couty areas where a person can get the most bang for his buck? I have a family of four to look out for and have about 30 days of food on hand. I'd like to immediatly have 3 months, then 6 months and eventually a years supply of food on hand. Any tips on stocking up? Up until now out stocking up has consisted mostly of hitting sales of canned goods and potato flakes at outlet stores and BiMart.
Also, watch those different buckets of food-some are dehydrated, which take a lot more water, and time, to reconstitute. Also, I have passed on many due to how they provide the calories. Many seem to use only potato or other starches, with little in the way of meat protein, or much variety in vegetables outside of potatoes.

Costco sells Mountain House online and in-store from time to time, I took ( and brought back) a ton of it when I got sent out to east Asia. It's pretty decent tasting stuff- but I found that the seals on a bunch were not properly done and they were full of fat, happy ants. So check.
Life Straws and UV sanitizing water bottles aren't bad to have as well.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 3.30.33 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads