JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless it's completely blatant, ie. you purchase a new gun, and transfer it without a BG, they can't prove anything. The local police receive a copy of the form 4473 when you make a purchase, and I'd bet that the State Police do not delete firearm records like they're supposed to.

I notice that only the seller is fined/charged. The buyer is not mentioned, I believe it is because a felon would not have to since he has a constitutional right to not incriminate himself by registering and admitting he broke the law against felons possessing a firearm. Same applies to mandatory registration of firearms.

Maybe if the public understood that the penalty does not apply to a felon we could gain some support

Suddenly all firearms purchased before 4-6-2015 went up 25% in value... overnight..

I notice that only the seller is fined/charged. The buyer is not mentioned, I believe it is because a felon would not have to since he has a constitutional right to not incriminate himself by registering and admitting he broke the law against felons possessing a firearm. Same applies to mandatory registration of firearms.

Maybe if the public understood that the penalty does not apply to a felon we could gain some support

I would think that the purchaser falsifying information on the form wold be covered by another statute, but not sure. The question then, is it a crime for a felon to attempt to purchase a gun?

Perhaps the daily email to the committee members today should include "No to the felon/prohibited persons protection law".

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sheriff or other LEO agency that would push to prosecute any of the situations you describe.

Having said that, I'd sure hate to be the test case......what a mess.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews