JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How satisfied are you with your current life?

Despite making and achieving goals/challenges, working an extra job, shopping like a mad man, etc, I still feel like I am dissatisfied with my life. It seems selfish since I know friends and family who are much worse off than I.

Maybe chasing satisfaction in one's own life is not a healthy goal?

In spite of some of the places that I have been and what I had to do there...
As Joe Walsh once sang...Life's been good to me....:D

Despite making and achieving goals/challenges, working an extra job, shopping like a mad man
Maybe these ain't the things that you are needing to do...?
If what you are doing ain't working for you , then maybe you outta try something else.

But now's the time to look and look again at what you see...is that the way it ought to be...?
Good advice from Led Zeppelin....:D

Unless...you like being like Mick and the boys...and you can't get no satisfaction.... :D
Andy

Some things to consider when thinking of life satisfaction....

Are you comparing your life to others...?
Don't 'cause that ain't fair for you or the other person.

Life satisfaction can be different things , at different times in one's life...
At one time in my life...having enough chow , water and ammo to make it through the night was the most important thing to me...
Today not so much.

When studying the path that you are on...don't get so focused on the compass , that you miss what is going on in front of you.
Andy

I believe I have done as good as I could do with my station in life. I took every opportunity that came along and did the best I could do. Plenty of hard times but that makes a better man if he works his way through them.

It's been a great life.

How satisfied are you with your current life?

Despite making and achieving goals/challenges, working an extra job, shopping like a mad man, etc, I still feel like I am dissatisfied with my life. It seems selfish since I know friends and family who are much worse off than I.

Maybe chasing satisfaction in one's own life is not a healthy goal?
At the moment, in the middle of boxing things up and prepping for a move, currently not real satisfied at the moment. I want a break. I want to be able to take an evening off or go shooting occasionally. Not going straight into working on moving immediately after work would be nice

However, in general, in overarching terms I am very satisfied with my life. I have been dirt poor and I am now comfortable. I have a family that loves me and I even have cool toys. I started adulthood early and I started at the very bottom. I am not super rich. But I am comfortable, and for a guy who spent several years homeless, that is amazing.

For me, the answer is quite simple. I wrote out what I really wanted to be happy. I was alone, by the light of a flashlight, having not eaten all day in a drainage pipe, where I was preparing to attempt to go to sleep, when I decided on what I needed.
1) You gotta eat. Gnawing hunger supersedes happiness
2) You gotta sleep. You have to have a safe place to sleep where you are not attacked. Also you have to be able to sleep knowing your own actions you have taken, so you have to live with yourself.
3) Have someone who loves me.

I have been through my thoughts and I am able to be content because I have a yardstick to measure against. It isn't some billionaire. It is realizing I have enough to eat, a safe place to sleep and a family that loves me. I can sleep at night knowing who I am.

I should be sastisfied with where I am at but it might turn out that the grass will always look greener to me somewhere else.
What is it you want? In reality, what are your goals?

I may go so far as to recommend a book or two. The Art of Living by Epictetus and Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius were helpful in me learning contentment. (I know, Stoic philosophy is probably an odd choice.) Epictetus is actually a short and easy read.

Being satisfied with who one is important.
What you do...what you say...how you interact with others , leaves a mark.
Do the best you can with what you have at the time.

Sorta related...life satisfaction may be broken down in various aspects such as :
Am I satisfied with my hunting life firearms...?
Hmmm....
I would love a nice high quality 20 gauge over under or side x side for grouse hunting.
However....
My 20 gauge Wingmaster and Mossberg 500c serve quite well for a modern shotgun and grouse hunting.
Not having that upper end over under or side x side does not take away from my hunting experiences...
If I were to have one...it also would't add to the experience insofar as...just having it is better than my other two modern shotguns.

Maybe pick one aspect of your life that you want to work on ...and start with that.
Andy

I don't give advice because a man's path is going to be what it is and he will either like it or he won't.

I do observe that if you want what another man has then you will probably have to be like him to get it.

What is it you want? In reality, what are your goals?

I may go so far as to recommend a book or two. The Art of Living by Epictetus and Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius were helpful in me learning contentment. (I know, Stoic philosophy is probably an odd choice.) Epictetus is actually a short and easy read.
"What is it you want? In reality, what are your goals?"

Those are great questions and I don't have good answers to either of them.

Obviously I can't answer for you. But for me, I wanted a family first and foremost. I wanted a home.

To really be content I feel you really need 2 things.
1) Goals of what you want in life, so you know what you are aiming for. (Partially so you can know when you hit it to enjoy it.
2) Realize what you need and judge your life by that, and not by looking outward.

If you have 2 hours to learn then there is a great interview of Andrew Tate by Tucker Carlson that can bring around a man's mind in a good way.

It on Twitter of you tube and some websites have posted it. I found it to be one of the best ever with good points about life.

Most folks don't have the time but this will pay off in the long run.

Try to always look at the bright side.. your penis being bigger than the average clitoris should give you some comfort.

Lol, JUST TEASING!

I probably didn't achieve as much as I should have during my life. By that, I mean that I didn't live up to my potential. On the other hand, I can look back at my life and see that I have been productive, dependable, and conscientious.

Early in adulthood, my life could be described as an adventure, which included spending ten years flying the Bush in Alaska. Later, I started a successful business, which was pretty much another adventure. I didn't get married or start a family until late in life, so I didn't have obligations limiting my pursuit of different careers.

Well into retirement, I still work hard each day. I do productive things like build roads, repair everything from household items to large equipment, manage a business, hold a public office, and help others. I have a wonderful family and have made sure that my children and step-children have been able to succeed in life. I have a wife who loves me as much as I love her, and am willing to die to defend. I've made sure she and the family are financially secure. I've fought injustice several times in my life, and was fortunate enough to be successful.

I've saved a man's life, and pulled another one out of the depths of depression, resulting in him having a long and happy life. These two were very satisfying. Saving people is a very moving experience. I've also watched a friend die in an accident, which was devastating.

All this, and I've also passed along my love of firearms to my children, grandchildren, and extended family! Also to several exchange students that I've either hosted or met through their hosts.

I'm very happy. I'm still not done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads