JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the law says you cannot defend property. You can only defend yourself if your life is threatened.
I say anything I have purchased has literally been earned with hours of my life. Th making it defending my life. Money doesn't come free it is literally earned by the hour. Hours of your life.
So defending your property is literally defending your life. Every dollar they steal is an amount of your life they steal. Easily proven with a paycheck. The more they steal the more life they steal. If this isn't assault I don't l ow what is.

Well...
I have served on a jury twice.
And I can say that I wasn't so damn impressed by my "peers."

In any event...
It is real easy to say one thing online...with no damn consequences.
It is entirely different when having to explain yourself and your actions in a court of law.

Please note that I dislike thievery...however I also have a pretty fair understanding of how the world works.
Andy

Ok. So who can explain to me the difference then?
I use hours of my life to get things I want. If some one steals my things . I am literally defending hours of my life.

OMG I know like those people in the grocery store line and in traffic are all wasting precious moments of my life. How dare they?

3%29_%2852182434551%29_%28cropped%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Do you understand that if, god forbid, you did ever have to shoot someone, there is a really good chance you will end up in court...and if that happens, you can pretty much bet that they will search your social media history...for posts like this to use against you?

Ask Daniel Perry how posting stuff like this on social media worked out for him. :rolleyes:

To give an actual answer to the OP....

It is your life...and your situation....do as you see best.

However If...you feel that your life is threatened...and you take actions to stop the threat....

Be prepared to :

Be second guessed or disagreed with...especially by those who don't have a clue about you or your situation / experience....
let alone not having been there in the first place.

Possibly having to go to court and justify your actions , again by people who weren't there and have no real idea about who you are or what was going on at that moment.

Please note that I am not saying don't defend your life.
I am saying that , you had better be defending your actual life..
Rather than the defending abstract and subjective notion that your property somehow equates to your actual life.
Andy

Last Edited:
Showing my age with this one, but I remember a time when horse or cattle rustlers were fair game when caught in the act. My dad shot one of two that were stealing livestock when I was a kid. The Sheriff came out and did a quick investigation. No arrest, no charges, and no jail. Times change. It's inevitable, but I will say this; I firmly believe that if we went back to "the old ways", there'd be one hell of a lot less crime than we have now.

Dollars literally equate to hours of life . Even judges know that. And it's easily proven.
With a paystub.
While you will find few here that are loving up the stealing scum, that does not change the real world we all have to live in here. Yes its VERY hard to watch scum steal what you had to work for. If you do shoot said scum over this and you go to court talking like you did here you will lose. That is not the way I "wish" it was but, sadly we all have to live in the real world here. Shooting someone is to be avoided if at all possible. When people do shoot it is often their mouth that sinks them. They start talking and can't stop. Let you lawyer do the talking and you have a FAR better chance of coming out with the best possible outcome. Like Andy I have been to Jury duty a few times and I was VERY sad at what was showing up. It is why I do not try to get out of it when I get called. One day I may be the hold out that keeps some poor guy from being convicted over what I feel was a "good shoot".

So the law says you cannot defend property. You can only defend yourself if your life is threatened.
You can absolutely intervene when someone is stealing your stuff, just not with deadly force. The standard for using deadly force is not "if your life is threatened"; it is "if you reasonably believe you are facing an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm". Sorry, but wordplay won't win a self defense case.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top