JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering buying a Liberty Woodsman safe and wanted to know what people think of this model/brand. I am considering the 25 long gun version with a dial lock. Price is 899. Good deal or should I consider something else?

It's my understanding that there are safes $700.00 and under. Tracker ,Big Horn, Winchester etc. And safes $1000.00 and over, Liberty, Fort Knox etc.. Less security and more security. Personally I bought the $600.00 safe from Tracker in Vancouver. I'm happy with it, if I need anything I don;t think they're going anywhere so I have them near for any service needs.

It all depends on what you have to spend.

Look at safes. Pull the inner door cover. Look at the amount of material holding the locking lugs in place. Then imagine if that door is pried on. Will that 12 or 14 gauge material deflect and allow the lugs to bend past?

Then look at your wallet.

Find the middle ground between wallet and living single because you spent too much.

A safe should not be less than your middle priced gun. If you have $10,000 in firearms why are you buying a $500 safe. If you only have $1000 then sure, buy that lower security one.

Boiled down, get what you can afford right now. You can always upgrade. There is always somebody looking to get their first safe.

I went round and round on this myself. It seemed like a huge expense until, like Dyjital said, I sat down and thought about what I actually kept in my safe.

It didn't make sense to buy a safe that was not much more than my cheapest firearm and significantly less than most, let alone the combined value of the firearms, valuables and documents etc.

So I waited a few extra months and saved a few hundred more and settled on a Liberty safe.

Consider this, double the cost of that safe you are looking at (give or take, depending on options), and you can have a mid range Liberty delivered to your door from the local Liberty dealer in Hubbard.

I replaced a safe similar to the one you are looking at and have never once regretted the extra money I spent nor the time I had to wait (which was hard for me, I like my toys NOW) when I upgraded to a real Liberty.

My next advice to you is think about the size you need now, then get the next size up. :D

Last Edited:
IHS, no idea if your comment is directed at me.

If it was, hell no. Be discreet. Don't advertise.
A safe is an investment, like what's inside.
Plan for more guns than you have now.
Buy quality.

I was kidding, your first post struck me as odd, I took it to mean that a safe was a poor investment because of the delivery, the drawing of thievery and eventually victim of poor insurance coverages.

I was just reading about this topic over on another forum. Guy had a good point, he was a fabricator. Take any safe that has been mentioned in this thread, and all it takes is grinder at the corners.

I too am looking for a safe. Costco has some and they seem to get good reviews around the various forums.

After you get a safe re-enforce it, or get a home security system and/or accompanying security measures to compliment your safe. Or...... have a darn good hiding spot for it. ;)

Decide what features are most important to YOU, and then shop around to find the safe that best fits those needs. For me, when I lived in Or, I needed fire AND water protection. when I moved, water was less of an issue. Also, consider where in your home you are planning to implace your safe. That can effect how easy it might be to break into. If you plan to implace in your garage, make sure it cannot be hooked onto with a truck and jerked out. ( this happens a lot) One thing I also look at is filling the bottom with concrete and or bolting it down, and how easy it would be to remove these things should you need to move it. When I built my new home, I built a hardened room that effectively works like a second safe. this was way over kil, but I wanted the extra security.

Decide what features are most important to YOU, and then shop around to find the safe that best fits those needs. For me, when I lived in Or, I needed fire AND water protection. when I moved, water was less of an issue. Also, consider where in your home you are planning to implace your safe. That can effect how easy it might be to break into. If you plan to implace in your garage, make sure it cannot be hooked onto with a truck and jerked out. ( this happens a lot) One thing I also look at is filling the bottom with concrete and or bolting it down, and how easy it would be to remove these things should you need to move it. When I built my new home, I built a hardened room that effectively works like a second safe. this was way over kil, but I wanted the extra security.
I've been thinking about exploring a reinforced single door closet...... Out swing door.

I built all my door frames out of thick/hard steel and installed steel doors. I just feel safer that way. My brother liked my set up so much he retro fit his house that way. You cannot pry my doors, and it would take a hell of an impact to force one! My safe room is pored concrete that I did when I had the foundation pored. Its single level with pored floor! Sort of makes the safe superfluous, but the safe door its self is what I want for security. No external hinges, and double anti tamper auto lock bolts

We bought a Liberty Fat Boy Jr last year. We saw them at a Tacoma Dome gun show and drove out to Enumclaw to place the order. Yes it was pricey but we got everything we wanted. Internal lights, dehumidifier and an outlet. The Liberty warranty is better than any other I have seen. It's bolted down in our garage, which is attached to the house (actually part of the house). We ha a 16 gun Stack On in the house that gets mostly magazines, an occasional holster or two, and some shotgun ammo. We bought ammo cans on sale for various handgun calibers and a deep one for rifle ammo.

I picked up that exact model from cabelas when they were on sale. I'm very happy with it- has enough room for my limited collection as well as some other sundries and ammo. It's not top of the line but it definitely does everything I want it to do, and the dial lock is very smooth and sturdy feeling. Of course, now I wish I bought a bigger one!
(The size does make it easy to install though- I just had them load it into the back of my suburban at cabelas and had 2 friends help me get it into my house. No moving company required).

Ended up with the Cabela's 30 gun Woodsman safe (Made by Liberty). I really like this thing. It holds all of my guns, ammo, accessories, and leaves room for for a small fireproof documents safe inside.
If you are a vet, let Cabela's know and you'll get a 5% discount. (saved me $60).
some people will want an electronic keypad, but I'm happy with the combination lock.
I had to use the moving company to get the 675 lb. thing delivered and inside. That set me back $315, but they were very quick and professional. I'm a happy camper.

safe1.png safe2.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads