JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Even liberals get tired of extreme liberal views. He may have alienated himself and ran out of ears that will listen.

Hopefully with families you are not limited to politics and religion. Should be enough keeping up with kids and memories. Maybe family history of the old folks and hoping you're not one of the old folks getting asked all the questions.

For some people, families just SUCK! I'm one, and Wifey is too. If you have a family that is close then I couldn't be happier for you.

Generally, we are large, loving, and close-knit family. There are only a couple of obnoxious, toxic souls, and we all try our best to avoid them. The rest of the truly bad apples have long since been jettisoned via divorce.

'Feel so strongly' is an understatement. His position on things in general are borderline fanatical. It's almost like he is fighting some sort of 'personal' war with conservative ideals in general.

I can understand up to a certain point... Personally, I believe that there is so much at stake, ie, the future of our country, that I also have strong feelings. But fanatical... I don't have time to waste with people that I know I can't influence. And it's just not worth the grief to go tilting at windmills... at my age I might get hurt!!

Part of the problem is I typically don't interact with a lot of liberals or am in an area of a high population of them

I've had friends in Central Oregon for many years... I can easily remember when it was a more rural atmosphere. Seems to have changed with all the newcomers. I lived in Romaine Village (sp?) from 2004-2006 and even back then was astonished at how much elitism was growing. Getting flipped off by bicycle riders was a common occurence (sp) too.

Interesting. Not sure what his angle is.. but IMO family is family. Sadly I have many California relatives that guzzle the MSM and left leaning narrative.. they are all incredibly bright people.. but in their academic pursuits they utterly fail to have any common sense on certain issues. If your cousin is by blood, Id still keep in touch. We only get one family while we're here.. and despite political differences (paired with their ignorance and arrogance) you'll always have the moral high ground by welcoming them with open arms regardless of their opinions because in the end they are still family.

Family members that are druggies and abusers are another story..you can only help people so much before cutting them off. But politics and various other issues and differences Id set aside. Id pity him and simply laugh/smile at his outbursts.

You can't rational think about someone acting irrationally. Similarly, you can't expect criminals to make the most rational/intelligent decision. I remember watching a crime account and a armed grocery store robber had a clerk at gun point and he was telling her to give the money, she was giving him the money while at the same time saying "your not going to shoot me" - he shot her.

Later when he interviewed her, he said, "who did she think she was telling me what to do, I shot her just because she was dumb enough to tell me I couldn't" His response had a lot less syllables, but that was the summary.

If your cousin is by blood, Id still keep in touch.
Yes he is and yes I will.

I just need to make sure of how I respond and not necessarily with just political issues as well.

He tends to have a bit of a 'sensitive' side with a lot of things and I have to largely in part respond 'light heartedly' to most anything he says and never say anything that is in opposition to, or questioning what he says as that will result in a long, drawn out explanation by him of why I was wrong, didn't understand what he said etc.

Yes he is and yes I will.

I just need to make sure of how I respond and not necessarily with just political issues as well.

He tends to have a bit of a 'sensitive' side with a lot of things and I have to largely in part respond 'light heartedly' to most anything he says and never say anything that is in opposition to, or questioning what he says as that will result in a long, drawn out explanation by him of why I was wrong, didn't understand what he said etc.

I would just double down on some tough love.

Give a God Bless after the Merry Christmas.

If his eyes cross and he starts twitching, you know it's working

He obviously wants you to agree with him and then punch him in the throat.

:s0140:

I was thinking the same thing

IMG_0856.PNG

Even on Christmas Eve, my ultra liberal in-laws couldn't resist getting in an anti-Trump shot.

They'd rant against Trump even if he saved a dying man.

Despite my disgust for all things liberal, I have some friends who have liberal views in varying degrees that I do not want to lose contact or association with. The more mature ones, we have come to the mutual agreement that we enjoy each others company and interactions and want to maintain these relationships, and for that reason we will leave political discussions out of our relationships.

Our mutual interests are cars, music, fishing, exploring and the like. A couple of them liberal as they are, are also into target shooting and are gun owners. We are able to enjoy jam sessions, car shows, fly fishing outings and also shooting. When people let politics rule their life so completely to the exclusion of interactions with other individuals who may have varying political views, you are missing out on some good fellowships.

Now that being said, I also know liberals who are so rabid, they live for nothing more than derision of others who do not share their views on anything, and will stop at nothing to impart their disgust on you. Those people can take a walk on the plank as far as I am concerned.

I also belong to a fraternal group where the discussion of politics and religion is forbidden during meetings, events and other interactions. This keeps volatile topics out of play and in general contributes to harmony in our group. There are differences from time to time, but the overall paradigm is that we will always be brothers and meet on the level and leave politics and religion out of our doings.

I think a pithy response like 'Merry Christmas' would work well as crazy leftists go into apoplectic rage if you don't say 'happy holidays'...works for me!

Ive been telling everyone MERRY Christmas and receiving it back vs happy holidays . Eather folks are sick of P C . Or might be the company I keep.

My in laws,( who we are dining with tomorrow), have always had strong democrat views, but as of late have drank the kool aid, and gone off the deep end in the far left pool. There was always a rule about no politics at Holiday get togethers, but lately, even though they promise not to, the rants start spewing. F ing Trump this, F in Trump that, if you own a white cat or dog, you are a racist redneck. I have been in a car with my Father in law, when he starts screaming at and threatening to beat the a$$ of a 80 year old guy because he has a Trump sticker on his truck.:confused: Not looking forward to tomorrow, it gets harder and harder to just listen and smile.

he's a moron. windmills have been killin the bats and birds for centurys and all the greenies see windmills as a win win for their cause...until theyre not. im sorry but your relatives need to wake up.

fox news isnt always correct. it is closest to facts compared to other MSM. ffs have you ever suffered thru a CNN bit? i cant make it more than 45 sec on cnn. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

i have inadvertently been dragged into many of political discussions with family whom are my age +/- 2 or 3 years and made all of them feel like idiots/ reconsider everything that institutions have showered them with.... a suppressed 300 blk and a suppressed AR10 does wonders when dealing with on the fence-ers....they'll even make ANTIS into believers....the silencer helps a lot....

ok im done sorry for the multiple posts

In ear compressible (I prefer my custom, but compressables work too) plugs work well, but if you really want to block out the spew, put yer range muffs on over them, smile and every so often say 'Merry Christmas' with a big smile and may God bless you with his eternal forgiveness...

A hard core lib was telling me how the rise in shooting and violance in portland is all from the hate. And looked bewildered when informed them it was gang violance and drugs and theiving junkie scum . I still did not see the light bulb turn on .some just will never get it. But MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone tomorrow eat the food, drink all the booze and split before someone starts thinking .:s0136::s0119::s0084:

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top