JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
So a couple weeks ago a cousin of mine who I had 'kind of' stopped communicating with a couple years ago (mostly texting/IM - he lives in AZ) sends me a friendly text and I get the impression he wants to maintain communication with me.

I think part of the problem was I 'sort of' stopped responding to him due to his EXTREME liberal views and his non stop rants about Trump & almost anything conservative in general.

Ok he is a very smart guy (early IT/computer background etc.) and he is one of my remaining relatives on 'our' side of the family and I know he wants to keep communication open as he is having health issues.

Ok - so WHY would he suddenly text me, 'out of the blue' three SEETHING anti Trump rants about something he heard him say on TV about windmills killing eagles, causing cancer, and how Trump is owned by all the 'Big Oil' companies and all he says is stupid things he (Trump) thinks people will believe ?

I find this strange because he understands very well where I stand on all of this.

Is he trying to 'bait' me into an argument (I will not 'bite) or does he think I will suddenly 'roll over' and change my mind and side with him?

Why would one not only 'poke the bear' but stick the knife right in?

I realize he is bored but this isn't the way to keeping in good standing with his relatives.

I think a pithy response like 'Merry Christmas' would work well as crazy leftists go into apoplectic rage if you don't say 'happy holidays'...works for me!

I think a pithy response like 'Merry Christmas' would work
No doubt it would work but I am going to maintain the 'high road' with him and not throw 'gas on the fire' .
I will simply side step any of his political rants and do my best to avoid being 'drawn into' any of it.

I know this is a common story with many but as a 'Conservative' I don't suddenly and impulsively go off on anti dem/liberal rants with anyone - relative or not.

One of the last family members or not, no one needs to be continually "hounded". Especially when they know your stance.

Maybe they know you are one of the last family members too. Unfortunately they can't accept your views are different.

Let's just say, I cut my own dad out of my life for doing something similar (hounding me for absolutely no reason). He just poked thinking it was funny no matter how many years I told him to STOP!

When he died we were still on bad terms and i don't regret what i did.

If it were me, call him so he can hear your voice. Demand that he stop the "BS" texts/rants. If he doesn't, block his number and sever ties. It's not your fault he won't respect you.

I think that sometimes people feel so strongly that they wind up with a need to vent... that's probably all it is...

I know that I have problems with a guy that used to be one of my best friends until he started listening to NPR 24/7, and then making political commentary "personal" towards me... I don't mind people expressing their political opinions, but when they make it personal, ie, "your president, etc" that it becomes a nogo. I've forbidden him from bringing up anything political if he wants to remain my friend because we get into blow outs when he does... we are no longer close as a result.

Politics are so boring and irrelevant. Here's hoping it does not become between family. The former will pass away; family lines are roots to the past, and the path to our future. :s0155:

I have a very liberal brother in law that would try to engage me at family get togethers about my firearms ownership. His son just joined the Navy so my BIL told me he bought a Springfield 45. I asked him which model did he get and he told me that he didn't know but "he bought it to be part of the club" and was planing on selling it once his son shipped off to boot camp. At first this spun my head a bit then I thought "baby steps, baby steps are good".

I think that sometimes people feel so strongly that they wind up with a need to vent...
Ultimately this is the 'impression' I get when reading his messages - almost like he is making them to read himself - like hearing himself talk.

'Feel so strongly' is an understatement. His position on things in general are borderline fanatical. It's almost like he is fighting some sort of 'personal' war with conservative ideals in general.

If he were younger, and lived in a predominantly liberal area, I would not be surprised if he were to align with ANTIFA.

Fanatism seems to be the general modus operandi for the majority of leftists.

That's why it's fun to say things like 'Merry Christmas' and watch them stroke out...

Even a fool is considered wise when he keeps his mouth shut.

Wise choice to refrain from heaping any additional coals on that fire. I have a few individuals I've let fall to the side of the road as they do/did the same crap to me about my religious convictions. I have relatives on my wife's side who I'm forced to be around and they hold views 100% on authoritarian government and 'can't we all just get along' mindsets. When they say stuff to me I just look at them and smile.

Like me for who I am; all of it. Don't think you can criticize one part of me and believe we can still remain civil.

$.02

Just agree to disagree and form a pact to not discuss politics. Tell him you appreciate him reaching out to you but discussing political differences will more than likely torpedo the relationship.

Fanatism seems to be the general modus operandi for the majority of leftists.
In my cousins case however its extreme.
Its like he has to apply liberal concepts to EVERYTHING in the world and life - almost like liberalism is a de facto concept that is 'carved in stone' and cannot be argued, disputed or debated.

Last Edited:
Part of the problem is I typically don't interact with a lot of liberals or am in an area of a high population of them - SO when I do experience something as radical as my cousin and his positions it probably affects me a little more than say, others who might be more 'used' to it.

In my cousins case however its extreme.
Its like he has to apply liberal concepts to EVERYTHING in the world and life - almost like liberalism is a de facto concept that is 'carved in stone' and cannot be argued, disputed or debated.

I once had a sister-in-law like that. Every waking second was shaped by that point of view and she was a very hostile, mean-spirited person beyond that particular outlook. I never engaged in political discourse with her because I simply did not, and still don't, care. My father, on the other hand, would argue with her for hours.

She later lost her mind, was institutionalized for a bit, released, and heavily medicated (to this day, as far as I know). Her marriage fell apart shortly after my brother came back from the war and I've never seen her again, nor would want to.

The hard part of freedom of speech thing is, someone will offend you at some point. How you handle it is the trick.

For those who have their views, but are not willing to accept different ideas from others.......Join the Taliban.

The U.S.A is about freedom. If you try to squash someone else's freedom of speech (Because their views differ from yours), you are a jerk of the highest order.

Heading out tonite with in laws. Both are quite liberal. But they allow me to disagree (Most of the time) with their ideals and remain polite.

Tomorrow, my family is coming over. Mom is gonna start in on politics (Often times repeating whatever MSNBC had on that day). She just can't help herself. And if I fire back with facts to refute her rantings, she will argue emotion.

Sister is also very blue. But she allows others to have their opinions, and does not seek confrontation.

IMO-The world would be a better place if we got off FaceTweet, and actually had a conversation with another human (Yes I get that I am on a website spouting this). Folks get awful brave in the electronic medium. Folks also have tiny statements, rarely if ever supported by facts or rational thought when on web. It's too much work to type in that much data, and FaceTweet only allows a couple sentences anyways.

I hope all of you have a safe and happy holiday. Even with that one family member.....

Politics are so boring and irrelevant. Here's hoping it does not become between family. The former will pass away; family lines are roots to the past, and the path to our future. :s0155:

For some people, families just SUCK! I'm one, and Wifey is too. If you have a family that is close then I couldn't be happier for you.

No doubt it would work but I am going to maintain the 'high road' with him and not throw 'gas on the fire' .
I will simply side step any of his political rants and do my best to avoid being 'drawn into' any of it.

I know this is a common story with many but as a 'Conservative' I don't suddenly and impulsively go off on anti dem/liberal rants with anyone - relative or not.

My guess would be either meds, or pain, have got him off the edge some. And/or, he watches nothing but left stream media. It's on all day/night, 24/7.

My guess would be either meds, or pain, have got him off the edge some. And/or, he watches nothing but left stream media. It's on all day/night, 24/7.
Most likely yes on both.

One interesting thing is he has told me (on several occasions in the past) how
FOX News is NOT 'real' news.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA