JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Besides the primer contact issue, would you be able to load them short enough to cycle properly?
With the double cannelure on these 150's, they would probably be short enough. I was trying to remember, but I think it's the 300 Savage that uses a high cannelure to keep the round short. That's probably what these were for.

With the double cannelure on these 150's, they would probably be short enough. I was trying to remember, but I think it's the 300 Savage that uses a high cannelure to keep the round short. That's probably what these were for.
It is...always looking for something that won't seat way down in the case for mine. Not only a higher cannelure, but also a shorter bullet is better.

i have 3 lever action 30-30s 2-94s and a glenfield 30a. ive reloded a ton of round nose for them.

a while back, a close buddy whos grandpa passed had some old 150gr winchester silvertip projectiles. he inherited them and ended up giving them to me along with an old box of 170gr silvertips(its full and unlikely to be shot:D)

my question(maybe a silly one)is, do these look safe to load in a 30-30 with a tube fed magazine? as you can see in my pics below, the 150 vs the 170 has a smaller point on it.

was thinkin puttin these over some BLC2
or if its not safe for 30-30 just stickin'm back on my shelf :) some guys were saying these pills go for $1/per which sounds outrageous to me. lol.
View attachment 501078 View attachment 501082 View attachment 501083

all the info i can find online is for the new nosler/winchester ballistic silvertips and doesnt help.

what do ya think?

View attachment 501076 View attachment 501077
You could load them and then just make sure they're the first cartridge in the chamber...FWIW though, my dad picked up a few boxes of Federal 150 gr. Hi-Shok cartridges in the 70's when he got his 94 and the tip on those are literally the same size as the primer and I spent years in the wood with 6 or 7 of those crammed in the tube of my 94 (eventually I ended up just hunting with 3 in the tube an one in the chamber. My brother's idea. Quicker to load/unload, it makes the gun lighter to pack around, and, he figures if he can't hit the deer within 3 shots he's got no business being out in the woods. Smart guy, my brother).
Silvertip's a good bullet...be a shame if you just left them on the shelf.

Dean

Last Edited:
You could load them and then just make sure they're the first cartridge in the chamber...FWIW though, my dad picked up a few boxes of Federal 150 Hi-Shok cartridges in the 70's when he got his 94 and the tip on those are literally the same size as the primer and I spent years in the wood with 6 or 7 of those crammed in the tube of my 94 (eventually I ended up just hunting with 3 in the tube an one in the chamber. My brother's idea. Quicker to load/unload, it makes the gun lighter to pack around, and, he figures if he can't hit the deer within 3 shots he's got no business being out in the woods. Smart guy, my brother).
Silvertip's a good bullet...be a shame if you just left them on the shelf.

Dean
thanks for the input, i actually took a coyote a few years back with one of these bullets i loaded into a 300blk. they are a nice hunting bullet. oldschool but good as any IMO.

Before he died, Dad was gifted a box of 180 grainers and he loaded up a bunch of spent shells. Gave a bunch to the friend who gave him the bullets and kept a few for himself.
Round noses, kinda worried about having them in the mag, so I just made sure it was the first one in the chamber.
Flame out of the barrel must've been a couple of feet! No signs of excessive pressure, though. Just a heavy hitter. :cool:

Dean

I Discuss 30-30 loading on another forum and have suggested the following load for any 30-30 enthusiast. It is 12 grains of Unique behind the Speer 100 grain 'Plinker' bullet. It's a soft shooting round but chronos at about 1700 FPS and is incredibly accurate. (See pic of 3 shot 50 yard group)
I wouldn't call it a 'deer' round but for varmints and the like it does well. Seat the jacket about 1/32" above the rim of the case and COLLET crimp - not roll.

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

I Discuss 30-30 loading on another forum and have suggested the following load for any 30-30 enthusiast. It is 12 grains of Unique behind the Speer 100 grain 'Plinker' bullet. It's a soft shooting round but chronos at about 1700 FPS and is incredibly accurate. (See pic of 3 shot 50 yard group)
I wouldn't call it a 'deer' round but for varmints and the like it does well. Seat the jacket about 1/32" above the rim of the case and COLLET crimp - not roll.

View attachment 516786

View attachment 516788
i have those ingredients! i think i'll go make some!

RVTECH,

In case you're interested, a 100 gr. bullet moving at 1700 ft./sec. makes just shy of 642 ft./lbs. of energy.
You say it isn't a deer round, but a .44-40, fired from a '73 Winchester made about the same amount of energy.
I suppose you could try it as the chambered round in your rifle and back it up with some factory rounds, or stronger handloads, in the tube.

Dean

Last Edited:
In case you're interested, a 100 gr. bullet moving at 1700 ft./sec. makes just shy of 642 ft./lbs. of energy.
You say it isn't a deer round, but a .44-40, fired from a '73 Winchester made about the same amount of energy.
Yes I am aware of this but I wouldn't use this load unless I was forced to. 100 grain is a little light for deer in a 30-30 but they certainly get killed with less.
If I were going to hunt with a 30-30 there are plenty of good bullet/powder combos to load with that put it up to factory (or better) ballistics.

Very true, RVTECH, but when your average blacktail is 90-100 lbs. and a ton of guys have been taking them for years with a .243 tossing bullets weighing about the same, its not out of the realm of possibility to use that round...and as accurate as you say it is, is just a plus in my book.
However, as you say, there's a plethora of loads on the market you can pick up at a great price point that exhibit much higher performance ballistics.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads