JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i have 3 lever action 30-30s 2-94s and a glenfield 30a. ive reloded a ton of round nose for them.

a while back, a close buddy whos grandpa passed had some old 150gr winchester silvertip projectiles. he inherited them and ended up giving them to me along with an old box of 170gr silvertips(its full and unlikely to be shot:D)

my question(maybe a silly one)is, do these look safe to load in a 30-30 with a tube fed magazine? as you can see in my pics below, the 150 vs the 170 has a smaller point on it.

was thinkin puttin these over some BLC2
or if its not safe for 30-30 just stickin'm back on my shelf :) some guys were saying these pills go for $1/per which sounds outrageous to me. lol.
F1F91930-4462-4DEF-981A-B11BD287D47B.jpeg 6E862138-CD72-4FFB-8B95-AAB2ABAB1294.jpeg 3A10B8DC-DF59-417C-8F5C-E4DD73A0C948.jpeg

all the info i can find online is for the new nosler/winchester ballistic silvertips and doesnt help.

what do ya think?

BECEC484-3191-49AF-81E5-6839AED39F97.jpeg 71CEC9CD-002C-4B57-869D-2C98CB20B66A.jpeg

Last Edited:
You don't want spire points in a tube fed magazine. Too much possibility of a KABOOM from the tip of one cartridge setting off the primer of the one in front of it!

You don't want spire points in a tube fed magazine. Too much possibility of a KABOOM from the tip of one cartridge setting off the primer of the one in front of it!
i was thinking the same thing mainly because the diameter of the tip was way smaller than the 170gr. i got these projectiles in a ziplock bag. im pretty sure they probably were for 308/30-06

Does the projectile flat cover the primer completely and some of the base of the next round? If so you should be safe to load into the tube.

If not, you could always take some off the top to broaden the top so they do. Might take a loss in the weight of the bullet but if you take the same length off each bullet it should make for a uniform loss per projectile.

Does the projectile flat cover the primer completely and some of the base of the next round? If so you should be safe to load into the tube.

If not, you could always take some off the top to broaden the top so they do. Might take a loss in the weight of the bullet but if you take the same length off each bullet it should make for a uniform loss per projectile.
thats a great idea! the way these are now, they would contact the primer. i may just go buy new projectiles :)

I'd not load those 150s in a tube fed 30-30.
They are valuable and I would sell them at a profit and go buy new bullets.
Unless you're a hoarder of strange/semi cool stuff like I am, then they just go up on the shelf.

I'd not load those 150s in a tube fed 30-30.
They are valuable and I would sell them at a profit and go buy new bullets.
Unless you're a hoarder of strange/semi cool stuff like I am, then they just go up on the shelf.
yep back on the shelf they go!

Besides the primer contact issue, would you be able to load them short enough to cycle properly?
Most likely not. And if loaded to the OAL of typical 30-30 bullets the ogive of the bullet will well past the neck of the case and cannot be crimped.
Load to the cannelure of the bullet and shoot single shot or do not use at all.
Trust me - I have tried it all with 30-30.

I had several old boxes of Winchester Silvertip bullets, sold them on Ebay back before they banned such things. They went for crazy high prices as I recall. I'm pretty sure I got something like a buck a bullet.

I've read several places that the danger of a pointed hunting bullet setting off the round in front of it in a tubular magazine is actually very unlikely and the danger is seriously overblown, BUT- I'm sure not going to take any chances!

Most likely not. And if loaded to the OAL of typical 30-30 bullets the ogive of the bullet will well past the neck of the case and cannot be crimped.
Load to the cannelure of the bullet and shoot single shot or do not use at all.
Trust me - I have tried it all with 30-30.
thanks for the input i think i'll just go buy some RNFP tomorrow or maybe after deer season!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top