JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some non-firearm related items accumulated over the years, and I need to get rid of some of this stuff. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Letgo and/or Offerup apps for this task? Do they work well, or not worth the hassle? One concern I have is I'm not much of an app/phone guy. Meaning I'd rather use my desktop than transact a bunch of business vs staring at my phone. Yes, I know, I'm a tech dinosaur... Is Letgo and Offerup use-able on the pc, or is it phone only?

How do these two apps compare to using craigslist? Is there a larger audience with CL vs the apps, or have many people moved from using CL to the apps?

Also, I see I can list some of the stuff here on the forum, so that's another avenue.

And do people have garage sales anymore? If you've had one recently, was it effective?

Thanks

I don't know about the apps, but CL can usually be done with email, and Facebook has a Marketplace which seems to be replacing CL, except with FB people know who you are, and may know roughly where you live, so if you have something expensive/etc., then you have that exposure. Personally, I prefer not to advertise what I have (like an expensive motorcycle) in a way that people can find out where I live (if you google a person's name well enough, you can often find out their street address - especially if their name is unique like mine).

Can't stand Craigslist (way too many flakes), I use our classifieds or OfferUp and only deal with those that have ratings of the person I'm dealing with.

I have used CL several times to get rid of stuff. You of course get the flakes and the scam artists. Stuff has always been sold though. I have not sold anything through Facebook but have bought a few dogs for our self and family off them. Went fine.
When I use CL to sell I use a disposable e-mail that is just for this. When someone is interested I use a burner phone for texts to set up the meet. When stuff is sold the e-mail and phone are ignored till I need them again.

Spend enough time on all of them and you'll see the same garbage cross posted everywhere.
Same crappy photos and bad descriptions.

I've found the rubbish bin a more efficient use of my time than those sites.

The thing I hate about Craigslist is the seeming inability to actually get ahold of people who are selling things. Right now there are two sellers who have bass guitar pedals I want. I've emailed them from every email address I have to no avail. The ads keep getting renewed. Screw it.

Big yard sale, easy!
F.B. market place is ok ( if you have F.B) but I wouldn't post valuables for the reasons above! Lots of scammers and tire kickers there like any other place. Craig's is hit and miss, some times you get lucky, others not so much, especially with cars and parts!

I've got two sets of SUV tires to sell and selling stuff on CL is a headache. I work graveyard shift and weekends, so I can't return calls and texts during normal hours. My dad agreed to take care of it for me, but he's leaving for harvest in southern Idaho tomorrow and will be gone for 2-3 weeks, so I have waited to post them.

I posted them on the bulletin board site at work and no takers.

I would post them here, but 98% of the members are on the other side of the state or down in Oregon. I don't think anyone would drive 300 miles for used tires.

Tried giving them away to family but no one I know needs Yukon/Tahoe rims and tires, or 265/70R17 tires. Not going to throw away nearly new Dunlop AT tires.

Ive done hundreds of deals on clist buying and selling and ive only had one sketchy experience. I will say clist works best when your item is priced to move. Pretty much people suck so imo it doesnt matter where you list it dealing with the random public sucks, and try and vett the people over the phone as best you can. I try and meet poeple not at my house but In a public space and do simple things like put myself in a position where i can see whats happening and keep an avenue out jic.

It's no wonder people trade their vehicles in rather than sell it in their own via CL, offer up etc. So many flakes, scammers etc. Plus the time you have to take to meet up at the police department to be in a reasonably safe environment. The idiocy on CL etc. never ceases to exist.
Last car I bought the trade in was worth around $800 cash, at least that's what I would have paid. The dealer offered 6, I took it. The thought of putting it up, ask 1K, be willing to take 8, then deal with the no shows, and the risk of some flake driving off then never transferring the title was not worth $200 to me. If someone does not transfer I would of course be covered but, it's not without the hassle if the car ends up in trouble. Now I had a set of winter tires mounted on rims for it. Those I did sell on CL. Had to deal with a couple no shows but no big deal. Someone did show, wanted the wheels, and paid cash. So when Wife came home from work I said lets head out to eat. ;)
For a service I pay nothing to use its one of those it is what it is, kind of things. I have a couple times used them to get rid of something I did not want for free. Appliances that I did not want to haul to dump and pay to have them take. Put it up free, someone would come get it for me. So win for me there.

I ended up selling all the rims and tires. True to CL form, the complete set of factory wheels and tires off a Yukon for $100 was a PITA. Guy wanted me to deliver them to Spokane, 70 miles away. Uh, no... Not driving 140 miles. Another gentleman bought them. My uncle ended up buying the new Dunlops.

I ended up selling all the rims and tires. True to CL form, the complete set of factory wheels and tires off a Yukon for $100 was a PITA. Guy wanted me to deliver them to Spokane, 70 miles away. Uh, no... Not driving 140 miles. Another gentleman bought them. My uncle ended up buying the new Dunlops.
When I bought one of my Jeeps it had nice Mud/ Sand tires on it. I do not use it for off road and the damn things beat hell out of you on the roads. So replaced them with something better for the roads. Put the tires up and immediately some guy in another county wanted them, agreed to come get them. The ad gave my general location, not of course my address. While waiting for the fist guy another guy is texting me wanting to come get them. Kept saying he was in the area and had cash. I kept telling him I was going to give the first guy a chance since he was driving from over an hour away. The guy texted me multiple times wanting me to give him my address to he could get there first. I kept telling him if the guy does not show in a couple hours or comes and does not want them I will let him know. He was all in on swooping in to buy them and I guess I was supposed to tell the first guy who drove over an hour to get to me, sorry, they are gone. Some people are just A$$hats.

Go for OfferUp most of the time. You can add the option of shippping nationwide (buyer pays shipping) and Offerup takes about 10% as a fee. But it is super simple, and ypu literally just print the shipping label and drop ig off at the post office. Craigslist is still king when it comes to vehicles however.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top